Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car travel with a ski

vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 320 Solid Baller
Do any of you put your ski on a roof rack? If so, what do you do to keep the ski safe from rocks?

Comments

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 840 Crazy Baller
    Thule aero box. I have seen people put them in a regular ski rack but no thanks. The box works great for me.
    shansen345
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 320 Solid Baller
    Agreed on the ski rack. One rock from a semi is all it would take.
    shansen345
  • sunperchsunperch Posts: 206 Solid Baller
    My concern with putting my ski in a Thule box on the roof has been about the heat. Has anyone had a ski get too hot in the middle of the summer?
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,515 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    edited April 28
    Your skis had better be robust enough to handle a rock ding. Sitting out in the direct sun is the real risk. Put it in a ski bag on the rack.

Eric
    skialex
  • skialexskialex Posts: 715 Crazy Baller
    Having your ski in a roof box would not harm it. Direct sun exposure is an issue though. Touch any ski that was left under the sun and a ski that was covered, lets say with a towel and will see the difference.
    I would worry more about my windshield than my ski in a roof rack but in a ski bag.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,549 Mega Baller
    I have traveled with our skis in a box on the roof without an issue. If I didn’t have a box I would throw it on a bag and lash it to the rack.
    Mark Shaffer
  • lukewrightlukewright Posts: 5 Baller
    We've driven from Austin to Louisiana with a few slaloms strapped on a roof rack and they still float. I'd put it in a bag just to keep the sun and road gunk off it.
  • InthedayIntheday Posts: 124 Baller
    1,200 km with skis in bags on a roof rack all still okay
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 320 Solid Baller
    Cool, I need to get a bag anyway. Tried a lower cost one and it didn't fit the Senate. May just need to get the radar one.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,842 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I ran a roof rack for years...no obvious issues. My skis were in padded ski bags, though, and then locked into the roof rack. Adds more downforce for the twisties if you do it right :)
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,684 Mega Baller
    I put my bag on the rack, I release my boots and load it upside down and usually use a ski sock inside the bag to avoid chafing.
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 782 Crazy Baller
    Thule rooftop box. This is one of the best purchases I've ever made (seriously). We use it all the time, and I even have a roof rack on our sedan for it. It's amazing how much ski crap fits in there and it's really handy when all of that ski crap is wet. I've never worried about heat buildup FWIW. Plus, you never know when you're going to drive through a random midwest snow storm on the way to your spring break ski destination.

braindamage
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,515 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @jhughes While I advocate that your box should be white to keep temps down, you took that a bit too far. Way too much overspray with the white coating. And I worry about the durability of that white coating.
    InthedayjhughesDaveD