Lift canopy

WBLskierWBLskier Posts: 404 Baller
I picked up a little Boston whaler for the kids to learn to drive on. 13’ long. Sits on a small 7’ wide lift. Trying to find an inexpensive boat lift canopy. They are expensive to add on I’m finding between the new frame and canvas. And most of them at much larger than needed/wanted. Any suggestions?

Comments

• skimtbskimtb Posts: 40 Baller
    This may Ben a bit mcguver, but, my neighbor has one for a small jet boat that i swear looks like it is made of electrical conduit and a tarp.
    If you Spent a bit of time, I’m sure you could get something to look decent. Buy a tarp first then make frame to fit it. Maybe buy a spare tarp of same size too...
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,113 Crazy Baller
    I was playing with a design that I think will work for your application - you can buy sunbrella tarp with grommets in it already. 2x10 stringers cut to sit across the posts long ways 13+ feet, and tapered so that they have some pitch along the length, notched for 2x4's to sit across it and then tarp secured to it with the grommets. This was to be modular since our lifts have to come up into a space that doesn't accommodate the factory style canopies so the 2x4's were going to be notched for a "knock down" type construction that could be stored/deployed easily.

Ultimately I felt that for the length of a ski boat it wasn't realistic - but for something 13' long it wouldn't be hard.

• Eric KelleyEric Kelley Posts: 229 Solid Baller
    If you don't need to remove the lift every year a metal roof with thin gauge metal is easy. Alabamas waterski team did this instead of buying a new vinyl cover. It looked great was inexpensive and will last a long time.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,838 Mega Baller
    edited May 11
    If it were me I'd just look at CL and find a complete lift/canopy that someone is basically giving away - like this one - $400
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/boa/d/shore-station-boat-lift/6577617142.html
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    braindamage
  • DynaSkiPeteDynaSkiPete Posts: 45 Baller
    Used on Craigslist is the best idea. Buying a whole lift with the canopy has worked for me several times. It took a long time and patiently checking daily was required.