Malibu tilt steering assemly replacement

WBLskierWBLskier Posts: 404 Baller
The tilt steering assembly in my 1998 Malibu Echelon needs to be replaced (tons of slop in it). I have the new complete assembly, but I am struggling to remove the steering wheel (and cylindrical steel part that the wheel bolts to that is the outer most part of the assembly). It looks like a pressure fit and I am thinking of backing off the middle nut and then striking it with a hammer to free up that part (so the wheel and the steel cylindrical part behind it come off together). That method was described in the Malibu Crew forum, but I wanted get a second opinion here before I take a hammer to my boat. And then assuming I get it off, since it is a pressure fit, how do I get it back on? Thanks.

Comments

• JackQJackQ Posts: 98 Baller
    Use a gear puller or steering wheel puller. You can usually borrow one from Autozone/Pepboys etc for free if you do not know someone with one. The shaft is a tapered spline, a hammer may work, but if a light blow is not sufficient you are likely to mess up the hub. Since the shaft will be replaced with the tilt assembly don't worry about it.
    oldjeep
  • WBLskierWBLskier Posts: 404 Baller
    I bought a steering wheel puller but this wheel assembly doesn't have the bolt holes on each side that seem necessary to use it...?
  • JordanJordan Posts: 920 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    You can hammer on the spindle and that should free it up. You might want to spray it with some penetrating oil (put a bucket under the steering wheel to catch any drips.

As for putting it back on, with a little marine grease on the spindle, the wheel should go on enough for you to get the nut started. tightening the nut with a socket should press it down on the taper.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,838 Mega Baller
    edited May 14
    3 jaw Gear puller works for removing wheel. I wouldn't beat on anything with hammer since it is all attached to fiberglass.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    Wait - are you saying that you have a steering wheel that is bolted to an adapter? IF that is the case then just remove 2 of the bolts that hold the steering wheel to the adapter and attach the steering wheel puller bolts to that.
    Chuck P
  • DWDW Posts: 1,682 Crazy Baller
    @WBLskier : A tapered shaft w/key does end up being a press fit and will require a bit of persuasion to remove. Puller is best solution, and I would suggest removing the steering wheel from the cylinder (6 small screws if that is your wheel style) and doing the adapter removal with the helm out of the boat. If you feel you need to use a hammer and tap on the shaft, make sure you have a nut on the threads so you don't damage the end of the shaft. A puller will have the spot to tap on so not to damage the shaft threads.
    So use the gear puller on the back of the cylinder piece after having removed the wheel itself?
    Yes, if you cant use the puller that you already bought on the adapter.
    Chuck P
    wolfgang
    All fixed up. Thanks for the help!