Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whitney's Boot Setup

ozskiozski Posts: 1,649
edited May 2018 in Skis Fins Bindings
Over our winter I'm possibly going to run a few sets with the Reflex R-style to see if I can get it to work so I thought I would look around at some of the pro's for setup clues. Whitney's R-style looks like a standard boot modified using a full liner unless I am missing something. Also she appears to be running her back heel a fair way over judging by the amount of the Reflex logo that I can see on the plate. I've always run a bit of angle on the rear boot but not quite that much but maybe that's a hard shell thing? I also wonder what she does not like about the off the shelf R-style?

'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,925 Mega Baller
    I would also add it looks like she has a pretty good gap between her feet based on the fact that it appears to be a fegular boot and it isn’t snugged right up behind the front boot.
    Mark Shaffer
    ozskiThan_Bogan
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,649
    @Chef23 Yeah its wider than the spacing I run which allows my toes to almost touch the rear boot plate. Looks like the front boot release is getting in the way of closing that gap any further.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

• WishWish Posts: 7,745 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    My version. And about the same rotation on the ski. Same reason as @Ed_Johnson

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    ozskiMuskokaKy
    @Wish I like it, hybrid rubber boot mate! I'm guessing the rubber still allows a release in a fall? Looks like your pretty close in the spacing, amount of rotation is not obvious in the shot.

edited May 2018
    Rotation is significant. Spacing is very very close. With the highbrid I don't have to buckle as tight so release is excilant.
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 584 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @Ed_Johnson is exactly correct! I changed to the r style boot two years ago and experienced the same thing. And boots closer together is not always a good thing. So the release mechanism may have nothing to do with it. Rotating the foot may have more to do with individual body mechanics than anything else, but it is critical that you find your best stance. I have also moved to a much lower cut on the sides of the boot, further reducing the angular input from your rear lower leg. Looks like she may have lowered hers also. I like the rubber strap that @Wish is using, haven't tried it yet though.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
  • JmoskiJmoski Posts: 295 Baller
    While skiing at Rini’s school Whitney told me she prefers as much rotation as she can get with her rear foot, hence the customizations.
    What's Joel H set up??
    Drago
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,182 Crazy Baller
    @Wish I believe he is on Fogmans
    @Ilivetoski that's no Forgamn boot. That's a snow ski boot.
    Jordanballsohard
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 252 Baller
    I wonder what type of release he uses? Maybe no release? Seems dangerous if that's the case.
    edited June 2018
    There's some marit there. It moves the support way up into the lager bones of the leg. Have not heard of an achilles tendon issue or ankle crush happening in a snow ski boot (could be wrong here). Now his back ankle, no idea how that survives.

That boot must be working. FB post of him next to Nate saying he got 4 @ 41. Hmmmmm...ski boot.
    Yep [email protected] he said and on the new ski not the GT.

Correction..he just reported [email protected]
    ozski
    Getting off the subject slightly but Nate at the same point crossing the wakes has a much flatter ski than Joel who looks "back" a long way by comparison so I wonder how much the binding setup plays into that. I think about this time last year Howley was on a T-Factor which is also very high on the leg. Good skiing just same, [email protected] is a great score so the new ski which Siani ([email protected]) is also on as JH posted on Insta.

• Fehlindra Fehlindra Posts: 227 Baller
    @JoelHowley is it possible to see some more pics of your bindings and possible release setup i think a few ppl including me tested the snowboot and are curious pls share some pics. and maybe your input pros and cons. This is what i tested few years ago
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 782 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2018
    Talked to Joel about his boot yesterday after he ran 4 1/2 at 41at the Ridge I think its mostly from Home Depot!
    I think he's got it dialed! He ran 2 and [email protected] 41 on saturday! And 4,4, and 4 1/[email protected] 41 on Sunday! Awsome guy I think he had a fun weekend! I am pretty sure it releases when the aluminum angle brackets rip large chunks of the top of the ski off!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    The_MSozskibishop8950
  • DrBOBDrBOB Posts: 5 Baller

ALPJrWish

bkreisALPJrWish
    and finally I find Intuition snow boot liners are ideal since they can be ordered specifically to boot size and hold no water
    ALPJrDrago
    edited June 2018
    @DrBOB similar concept. Adjustable ankle stops via straps (rear strap assisted Velcro style release) and a higher then usual cuff that is as stucturally stiff as any snow ski boot I've used do to the honey comb structure on the inside of the upper cuff. Was not a fan of this type of release so moved to Reflex. Both boots, rear higher, had elevated heals. Set a personal tournament best on this set up 4yrs of [email protected] No ankle injuries since 2001. Warning, do not try this home build stuff.