Distance from Center - Episode 1

HortonHorton Posts: 24,622 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

Bill22RazorRoss39400andjuleslakeaustinskierBruce_ButterfieldsavaiusiniDaveDskigirl

Comments

• RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,269 Mega Baller
    Cool video

I gotta side with let the conditions be challenging argument. As long as everyone's got the same it's fair and I don't think anything provides a better opportunity for the podium we've seen 100 times to get a shock with some new faces. Tournaments are about who came to play that day, you might not be the best skier on glass, but what if you're the best skier in wind?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,622 Administrator
    @RazorRoss3 Everyone has the same randomness but no one really has the same water as another skier.

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

RazorRoss3ISP6ballThan_Bogan
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,269 Mega Baller
    edited June 9
    I agree with that claim, I still side with “ski the conditions”. As a spectator I like the big scores but the podium shake ups are nice. The same way golden state vs LeBron year 4 is getting boring.
  • ConPexErConPexEr Posts: 12 Baller
    cool
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 217 Baller
    That's right @thager, we are all special snowflakes. :p
    jayskithager
  • pgmoorepgmoore Posts: 188 Solid Baller
    @Horton - "Everyone has the same randomness but no one really has the same water as another skier. "

But isn't that the same with every single outdoor sport?

Alpine skiing / Nordic skiing - track conditions change during the race, it could start snowing, the sun could come out/go away, etc.

Golf - a gust of wind could come up just as you hit your drive.

Football - a gust of wind could come up just as your team attempts to kick a field goal.

Baseball - the clouds could briefly part and get in the eyes of an outfielder.

Track and field - wind could gust during your heat but not your competitor's.

Point being... isn't some degree of randomness inherent in ALL outdoor sports. I don't think there is a single sport where everyone has the same conditions.

And as someone involved in World Cup Nordic skiing, certainly the athletes know that some venues are more random than others. It's just part of the deal.
    Patrick Moore
    schafersloweyepeelerJack Kinne
    you are all wrong :-)

more important what do you think of the show?

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

slow
  • pgmoorepgmoore Posts: 188 Solid Baller
    @Horton - I'm pretty sure we are right :-)

More important, the show was awesome. More of that, please.
    Patrick Moore
    HortonRazorRoss3eyepeeler
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,989 Mega Baller
    Show is great but you need to be replaced!!!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    RazorRoss3eyepeeler
  • JordanJordan Posts: 936 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I don't like the analogies made about a gust of wind etc, in other sports. To follow up on the golf analogy, of course wind or rain can come up while you are about to hit your shot. that can happen in waterskiing too. That said, the course has to meet USGA/PGA standards regardless of weather conditions. So, to carry that thinking over to Robin Lake, you have to separate the discussion about the course conditions (ie backwash/rollers from the wall and the stands) from natural weather occurrences such as wind .

I think that there are things that could be improved at that site that would improve the quality of the site. In golf if you had greens that didn't drain properly, they would have to be fixed, my vote is to optimize the site such that it can handle what mother nature throws at it the best that it can.
    pregomscotchipman
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,002 Crazy Baller
    By the way, great show. Keep it coming.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    Horton
  • ISP6ballISP6ball Posts: 91 Baller
    I'm all for skiing in mother natures conditions, and dealing with the outcome. I don't know the masters environment, so can't speak intelligently on it. However, if random rollers were effecting skiers, I find it hard to argue in favor of that.

In my opinion, rollers are not a part of mother natures conditions.

Great scores were laid down at the masters, because at times, the conditions were great.
  • savaiusinisavaiusini Posts: 248 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Good stuff! San Gervasio Pro Am... B)
    Sam Avaiusini - Operations Manager, HO Sports Company, Snoqualmie, WA
    Hortonandjules
  • skisprayskispray Posts: 116 Baller
    Really enjoyed the show, it was well done. Keep it going!
    Horton
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,503 Crazy Baller

andjuleseyepeeler
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,798
    Great show, love Trent's insights!

@Jordan is spot on! The examples given by @pgmoore are mother nature and excepted by our sport and other outdoor sports.

For golf think of it this way, someone throws rocks onto the greens for some golfer and not others. We all know that would not go over very well in golf and this is exactly what is happening at the masters, some skiers have rollers in critical spots and others don't.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
  • cvaughtcvaught Posts: 13 Baller
    Great show. If possible please upload the audio as a podcast so that we can listen using any podcast app. You might consider something like podbean.com for podcast hosting.
    skimtb
  • Eric KelleyEric Kelley Posts: 233 Solid Baller
    Really like the show, keep it up!
    Water conditions...... Feel is a test of a great skier to be able to deal with variables and win. As a public Lake skier, this allowed me to podium finish in a Big Dawg in Canada. The rollers and cold really freaked some of the technical skiers out. I can pretty much run through pwc wakes because of my background. Years ago when ESPN had their Hot Summer nights, venue selection was based on how to attract the maximum crowd and had little to do with conditions. TV audiences and local audiences, lay people which you must attract can get stoked with skiers at 32 off with a good announcer. There is no way you can drag a large crowd out to a private site in the middle of nowhere.

BigDawg at Masters.....I'm sorry but the Pros are just jealous of th attention that the BigDawg series gets. They need to quit whining and realize that success isn't mutually exclusive.
    RazorRoss3
  • HigleyskierHigleyskier Posts: 29 Baller
    I really enjoyed this discussion format. Please keep it up.
  • MSMS Posts: 4,486 Mega Baller
    @TFIN Starting to look like Alqaeda. >:) >:)
    Shut up and ski
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,134
    edited June 10
    @Horton would be the highest paid pro skier if he could get manufacturer sponsorship money from the pile of skis behind him. Trent has a great attitude, and is a fantastic ambassador for the sport. Easy guy to root for
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • APBAPB Posts: 54 Baller
    Really good listen. I agree w the podcast format. Cool to see weekly episodes. Having more access to events via podcast/replays, the wws website, bos, etc is only doing great things for skiing. Can’t wait to see where future episodes go.
    Horton
    In the future I will look at a pure audio podcast option.

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

• Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,716
    That was a really good start to what I hope becomes a continuing series. The sport really needs this. Special Thanks to John and Marcus, who are the only two in our industry, who have stepped up to give us these badly needed Podcasts.
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    @Ed_Johnson don't forget @TFIN

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

thagerpgmoore