Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zero Off Announces New Software for 3 Event Water Skiing

ROBOTROBOT Posts: 42 Administrator

Zero Off Announces New Software for 3 Event Water Skiing

Zero Off and the three event towboat manufacturers will release the new Revision S (Rev S) software operating system beginning with 2019 model year boats, Rev S will enhance the existing SLALOM PLUS mode for skiers who want a more responsive pull.

After 18 months of testing and validation, the new Rev S will:
• Retain the current slalom settings (A, B, C, 1, 2, 3) and features skiers have come to appreciate with Rev R; and
• Enhance the existing SLALOM PLUS setting with a firmer more responsive pull when “+” is used.

Skiers who like a bit more acceleration out of the turn will find that the Rev S SLALOM PLUS setting improves acceleration through the wakes, resulting in an earlier and freer feel into the next buoy. Skiers of all abilities and sizes will find that Revision S allows them to optimize their skiing and break new personal records.

Rev S will be available starting July 2, 2018.

There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive, the Alliance is threatened.
Gloersen

Comments

• DirtDirt Posts: 1,518 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Nice. How much does it cost and how do we get it? Can it be used in tournaments and if so what about older boats?
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 795 Crazy Baller
    for owners of older boats, is this similar to trick mode?
  • vtjcvtjc Posts: 182 Baller
    Is the single puck gps antenna required?
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,160 Mega Baller
    It does not sound like it delivered Trick Mode for slalom. It seems to be a change to how the plus (+) setting functions.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    RazorRoss3
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,990 Mega Baller
    Hopefully this is the software upgrade is a step towards "trick mode". If this is the case I believe that the + will be used to increase the Kp value as it is for trick and this is changing/revising the current + settings that almost no one was using.

It is easier for them to change just the + values because many of the control systems do not have the programming for another variable option. ZO Head units and especially proprietary boat screens would need a new program loaded in conjunction with the ZO upgrade as well.
    MISkier
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 478 Crazy Baller
    isn't there already a + plus option?
    @RAWSki, it sounds like they are changing/repurposing it.
    RAWSki
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,289 Mega Baller
    My understanding of the original + setting was that it helped pull big guys out of the whole they dug when they turned in for the gate but didn't do much the rest of the way down the course. Is the new one a smoother version of that or is it something completely different?

At 36 and using C1 I never feel like I need "more responsive" but having been accidentally pulled at 34 once by Mr. Austin down at the Aquaplex I could see how a person could dig a hole at the ball when you're carrying a little less baseline speed. I don't know if that is just me or a more universal experience though.
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,171 Crazy Baller
    Here we go again. They are changing the pull in the middle of the season?? No mention of backward compatibility at all. What boat? When? this is ridiculous.
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    Dragoskierjp
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,039 Crazy Baller
    @disland AWSA Rule 8.10.h. Software changes are permitted as approved by the Towboat Committee at any time during the season, except that no changes that affect skier pull will be permitted between July 1 and the conclusion of that year’s National
    Tournament.

So, unless rule changes are made, Version S will not be allowed this year until after Nationals.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,194 Administrator
    edited June 12
    THIS IS TRICK MODE! (mostly)

This is not 100 percent exactly the same as actually slaloming in trick mode but they took the positives of trick mode and blended it with the approved slalom mode. Pure trick mode is more radical than the new mode and with some boats pure trick mode will almost throw you to shore. This is way better.

@dirt the update is free but only works on single puck ZO.
    @UWSkier it is not literally trick mode but it is very much in that direction
    @vtjc yes
    @MISkier the new mode replaces the old plus mode
    @disland NO - you do not have to use it. It is not a change if you do not want it to be.

The only possible downside is for the skiers who used the old plus mode. There were a few skiers that used it but not very many. For everyone else there is one extra tweak that you can use or not.

Skiers with older ZO in their practice boats will not have the option but as long as then do not ask for plus in a tournament it should not be an issue. Their practice pull be as close to their tournament pull as it always has been.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Gloersen
  • WishWish Posts: 7,226 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited June 12
    Remind us why trick mode was so great for slalom
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    MS
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,265 Mega Baller
    @horton So why is this limited to single puck systems?
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

WishDragoBG1
    Thanks for the info, @Horton. I am interested in trying it.

Bummer on the single puck requirement. I have the dual puck setup on my personal boat.
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,171 Crazy Baller
    @Horton Thanks for the info but why is none of this information made available by the manufacturer USAWS or AWSA or god forbid IWWF
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    @Bruce_Butterfield I am not 100% sure but I agree it is a shame. I think it is about developer cost/time.

You are an engineer.... you know that something that should cost $1 costs $10 by the time it gets through QA and 14 layers of approvals. That is my guess. I say we should be happy for what we have been given.

Than_BoganBG1
    edited June 12
    @disland because I am Intergalactic! They gave me the press release first because I have been bird dogging them to announce the new version.

• eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,461 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @Wish Because you can trick in trick mode!
    RazorRoss3WishThan_BoganDrago
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 423 Crazy Baller
    edited June 12
    I see that it is on the front page of USA Waterski now and mentions available July 2. At that point I can run it for practice, but for tournament use I can't have it in my boat for a tournament until it hits THIS list. The chief driver at every tournament should verify the software version in ZO is the current approved version. Once it hits the list I will bring my update cable and Diacom with me to tournaments I attend and will be happy to load the new version in all boats on-site.
    RazorRoss3
    @skiinxs and don't run with scissors

Jordan
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,289 Mega Baller
    Looking forward to the "New ZO Unboxing" video and with any luck some commentary on how it actually skis once it starts getting some use
    MISkier
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,182 Mega Baller
    That will be nice. Click on the prompt and then..........................nothing.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,829
    I have been using + mode since it came out. Without it, feels like I lost a lot of pulling power from the boat. I am 6'4"@220 and think it's great. My 155lb ski partner hates it, so it seems to be a Big Guy thing. Looking forward to Super Plus !!!!

Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    RazorRoss3
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,940 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited June 12
    @Horton others, will the new plus setting retain a gate speed of 1.6% above set speed?

* In normal mode the gate speed is 0.75% above set speed.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,584 Crazy Baller
    edited June 12
    I won't notice any difference with the new settings. I knew not ever skiing with ZO until this year would pay off. I'm planning to ski with ZO for the first time in my first tourneys in 11 years this August and Sept.
    RazorRoss3
    @scotchipman my understanding is the new mode will have exactly the same gate speed as standard mode. This could be a inconvenience for the guys that currently use plus but it will make the transition back and forth between the new plus and standard less radical for the rest of us

• scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,940 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Thanks @Horton, it does suck for the few that did use the old plus mode and liked the 1.6% gate speed increase but great for most of the rest of us who are use to the 0.75% gate speed increase.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    HortonMarco
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 862 Crazy Baller
    bummer my 14 prostar is dual puck! does anyone know if dual can be converted to single?
    Ski it if you can!!!!