Dominant foot forward or back??

2»

Comments

• thagerthager Posts: 4,448 Mega Baller
    Thank God tomorrow never gets here!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 462 Crazy Baller
    @dnewton Just make up your mind that you're going to do it and practice pulling out on both sides for a few passes. Proper hand placement will really even out the pull. I was in the same situation as you. Any habit can be broken with determination, don't be discouraged. It feels completely natural after about a dozen passes. You can do it.
  • TELTEL Posts: 282 Crazy Baller
    I have a new excuse for skiing like crap. Right handed Kick a ball with my left foot. Ski LFF with right palm down. Use to be a sprinter in school Left foot was in the forward staring block.
  • floridagmfloridagm Posts: 30 Baller
    Gosh TEL, will this excuse get used before or after the tequila excuse you rely so heavily on???
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,106 Mega Baller
    When I was first learning to ski I could get up and ski both ways. Was on an old wooden POS that was far more stable with my dominant (right) foot back. I surf, skate, board, etc everything else LFF but have always been comfortable riding switch. Maybe I'll swap my boots around. Only been skiing this way for 25 years...
    dvskier
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    edited June 2018
    By all current measures and tests, I should be right foot forward. I kick right, right rear on a skateboard, snowboard, surfboard, Use my left to push on a skateboard, etc. Just when I learned slalom on an old Connelly wood Hook in the 70's, it felt weird to have right forward, and I could somehow get up better behind the old little outboards we skied behind dragging my right and standing on my left. Not sure why it felt weird, or better to have left forward. It just did. If I remember correctly, I had more successful deep water starts on my left forward, so that is how the decision was made. Too late to change now I guess.
    OldboyII
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 785 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2018
    If you were dragging a foot, and were more comfortable with left forward, I'm thinking that's the way you should be, obviously that method puts all the weight forward . I think the problem is when people 1st learning have the misconseption that more weight should be on the rear, or they steer with the rear, so they put dominant foot back.
    Than_Bogansunvalleylaw
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,819 Infinite Pandas
    It doesn't matter. If it mattered, the best skiers would all be that way. They aren't.

Use what your dad, wife, kid, or coach uses. Don't over think it. Adapt to it.

Eric
    Than_Bogandtmdchristman
  • JmoskiJmoski Posts: 295 Baller
    My two cents are there is a correlation between which foot forward you are and how you were taught.

I learned at a young age at camp by first skiing on two, then lifting a leg while on two to see which foot felt more comfortable, which then led to dropping a ski, then finally dragging up on a deep water start.

For me as a pure lefty, I naturally felt more balanced when lifting my right ski, and hence my path was set as a LFF skier at age 10.

I even tried to get up on one ski RFF, and it was such an alien experience, it was if I had never done it before...
    ScottScott
  • pregompregom Posts: 147 Baller
    @JackQ I’m confused. Are you LFF?
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 233 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    No, I am RFF forward but my off side turn is more consistent and the pull on my offside is better than my on side. My informal observation is that it is not unusual for RFF skiers that ski 38&39 to have a better offside turn than on side. Not sure if that is they have more experience and practice to hone their off side or they are skiing in or through 39, because they have a good offside turn. Would be a interesting poll.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,516 Mega Baller
    @JackQ that's why the hand thing isn't so ambiguous. You can try both but the offside vs onside asymmetry will always exist. You could obviously ski both palms down. But we obviously believe there is some additional power to be gained with the one palm upwards so do we keep that paired to onside or paired to offside.
  • dnewtondnewton Posts: 81 Baller
    Update: just drove an hour to my ski club. Was thinking about my hands too much and forgot my life jacket.
    Than_BoganShaunTAndre
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,359 Mega Baller
    edited June 2018
    @BraceMaker I think the fundamental advantage of the combination grip is that you can slap your off hand back on without awkwardly over rotating you wrist.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • TravisNWTravisNW Posts: 85 Baller
    I have a theory that right handed skiers that are left foot forward should use a toe piece and right handed right foot forwards should use double boots and vice versa. If you notice people in general the majority by far will jump skip hop kick etc with their dominant foot and always post up or land on the non dominant one. This makes the non dominant one really great for standing on and therefore more favorable to have in front. If your non dominant foot is up front then you can stand on it confidently and your rear is happy in a kicker. If your non dominant is in the rear then it needs to be held in place because it’s gonna wanna move to find stability if necessary and it will be difficult to have the confidence needed to always stand on the less stable foot. There is more evidence to support the roles of dominant/ non dominant feet id be happy to share and this is just a fun theory I’ve come up with.
  • ShaunTShaunT Posts: 39 Baller
    Im right handed but right foot forward (goofy) for skate/wake/snowboard and left foot forward for water skiing.
    Been skiing since age 5 and cant even tell you why left foot forward was the one for me originally except that my dad used to do this thing with people (probably totally bogus and unproven) where on land he would push them form behind without telling them why and whatever foot they would use to put out first that would be the front foot. lol.
    Anyone else heard of this????

Dont know if thats a real thing but strangely I put out my left foot.
    I'd say just go with what is comfortable and natural.
    pregom
  • KillerKiller Posts: 375 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    I did some more reseqrch onto dominant leg theories.

Turns out most people are right leg "dominant", regardless of handedness. If you look at baseball players, most are LFF with the right leg being where the power comes from, left leg planting and balancing. There is actually minimal correlation to handedness in any research.

Left leg is more often the balance leg, while the right leg is more often better for fine motor skills (like kicking a soccer ball), again regardless of handedness.

Repetition is a stronger influence than anything else, so if you teach a kid to ski 1 way, outside those who are much less balanced from side to side, it won't matter which foot you teach them to be in front - their career will end up in the same spot, regardless.

The OP isn't a kid though...

@ShaunT that was definitely the old school way. Same here. I coached skiing and took the Canadian instructors course (week long back then), where they still coach the stand on 2 skis and lift method. Based on the fact repetition is the most important factor, this to me seems like the best way.

However if you're an adult, who's done things a certain way their entire life, go with what feels most normal.
    vtmechengThan_Bogan
  • pregompregom Posts: 147 Baller
    @ShaunT - I heard the same thing at our ski club.
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    edited June 2018
    @JackQ -you mentioned that many rff skiers have developed an off side turn thats better than their on side. personally i think thats because they practice their off side turns at least 30% more often than their on side turns. this theory is based on the fact that neither the gate turn in nor the 6 ball are ' real ' turns. not saying they aren't important to get right, just saying they're technically very different from the rest of the course.

also, the first ' real ' turn any skier makes at any line length is the 1 ball so even in a failed pass a rff skier is typically getting more practice on his off side turn. as always, imo.
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,089 Mega Baller
    I write left, think right, bowl left, golf right, and board goofy. I start dominant RFB, drag with my left leg, sole up, and both palms down.

I can hold my IPA in either hand. I don't have a theory - I just do it!
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    ShaunTeleeski
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,819 Infinite Pandas
    The TF after the TB start is surprisingly difficult!
    dchristman
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,359 Mega Baller
    edited June 2018
    (deleted. wrong thread)
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file