What Zero off settings do you use?

ScottScottScottScott Posts: 756 Crazy Baller
As I'm just been getting through the course over the last 2 years, now getting through at 15 off 30.4mph, I have just stayed with B2. I had a good lesson not long ago, and after we realized it was accidentally left on A2, so I've been trying that lately. Got me wondering what most people use. Too complicated to tie in what speed/line length you're skiing at, but feel free to add that in comments. Has this been done before?

What Zero off settings do you use?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,181 Crazy Baller
    B3
    Depends on the boat but typically B3
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 644 Crazy Baller
    B3
    I can’t believe that there is that many so far that uses B3. I’m usually the odd ball
    Luzz
  • MSMS Posts: 5,105 Mega Baller
    B1
    Always start with B1 on all the boats and move letter if it is out of sync with me. Usually C1 if that happens. I have never liked A1 on any boat.
    Shut up and ski
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,791 Infinite Pandas
    C3
    Personally, C3. I switched from PP Classic with a switch and KX + PX10 and an extra 100 pounds of weight and C3 was an easy transition that I just stuck with. But for people transitioning from PP recently, I've found A1 works best. Also if I'm skiing really smoothly, A1 is magic.

I'm light enough and weak enough that I couldn't feel much difference between C3 and C3+.

For tricks, only C3. We pay a lot for fancy non stretch ropes. Why would you let the boat be weak on you?

Honestly, I haven't tried + yet for tricks. I'm not pulling hard enough to notice. And when the boat gets left on B3 I still ski OK. I suck if it is A1 (people sometimes mess with me!).

Eric
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 549 Crazy Baller
    B3
    it all depends on the boat. MC B3. Nautique and Malibu C3.
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 527 Crazy Baller
    Plus (you can be more specific in comments)
    I use a1 + now with the new version. The pull is way better for big guys, I don't feel beat up any more after a slalom set!
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,006
    Plus (you can be more specific in comments)
    Ski 28-38 using B1+....Love the plus setting and have used it for years now. Waiting to try the NEW Plus setting when I convert my 200 over to the single puck system.
    Loving the new ZO Rev. S Plus Mode C3+
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,448 Mega Baller
    B3
    “Normal” is B3, but I also like C2. I think the two have a lot of similarities with B picking me up a spot later but both letting go about the same time.

On the other hand, I had my best Nationals score last year behind a 5.3 Nautique and skied A1, I skied a 6.2 this weekend and my best score was with at A3; I tied my PB in May behind a MC set on C2.

So the point, I suppose, is “it depends,” and you need to experiment to see what is best for each boat/motor.

On the other hand, one of my ski partners has skied B2 all summer regardless of boat (C2 last winter) and SHE ran her second tournament [email protected] this weekend. Classic over-achiever!
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,844 Mega Baller
    A3
    I have a question for those of you that know ZO. One of my ski partners generally practices at B3 then switches to B2 for tournaments because it gives him a little more time to get set properly after the turn if he is scrambling in a tournament.

I told him I thought that was nuts and he should keep the setting he practices at in tournaments. Does his logic make any sense?
    Mark Shaffer
    B1
    No
    Shut up and ski
    jayski
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    edited July 2018
    A3
    Frankly, I voted A3 because someone picked that for me once. But at my level, I really don't even know which would be better. I guess what @BRY says makes some sense.
  • BRYBRY Posts: 582 Crazy Baller
    edited July 2018
    C1
    What other peoples or your favorite pro's setting may be is totally irrelevant to what your best setting is. So Poll may be interesting but of little use. Only way to know is to try them. For most skiers it's not a magic bullet, the differences are noticeable but subtle.
    Until you have a really good stack position I think you should stick with B2. Why? It's the most symmetrical engagement. Keeps you from developing your form to compensate for asymmetric A or C and 1 or 3. No offence but if your -15 30mph your stack is not great. If it was you would be skiing shorter and faster. A good stack takes you far.
    ScarletArrow
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 644 Crazy Baller
    B3
    @Chef23 If it is Ray you are refering to Slap him. He should be skiing the same as in practice
    A3
    @Pat M how did you know who it was.
    Mark Shaffer
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,442 Mega Baller
    B1
    Not many 3s in any letter, hmm
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,776 Mega Baller
    I'm skiing my first tournament since 07 this week. Will be the first time with ZO. What is recommended?
    ScottScott
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 756 Crazy Baller
    A2
    @ALPJr I think most people would consider B2 to be the default, or starting point. If you get behind ZO boats more in practice you can experiment with different settings. Have you been using PP? I think I've seen reference to one of the settings being more similar to PP but I don't remember which one, I don't think it was B2 tho.
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,448 Mega Baller
    B3
    So far, it looks like pretty much equal distribution across the ZO spectrum, except for B2. I expect B2 to be the most popular as it is the “default” setting and a lot of folks don’t experiment to see if anything else might be better for them.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    C3
    That B2 is the default setting is purely an artifact of the programming - it's in the middle so you need the minimum clicks to get to your desired setting. It might be the worst setting for someone transitioning to ZO - hence the dislike of ZO from first timers.

Old Stargazers felt most like A1 so I default most skiers to A1. Nobody complains about the ZO. But nobody complains about my MC 197 either - conditions at my lake are pretty nice and lots of PBs happen. Warm glass is more important than letters.

Eric
    Drago
    Warm glass shouldn't be a problem B)
    eleeski
    A3
    @ALPJr I practice primarily behind PP and ski A2 on ZO and ski close to the same in tournaments that I do in practice. Most people say to start with B2 but if you are struggling with B2 give A2 a try.
    Mark Shaffer
  • bf`bf` Posts: 130 Baller
    A3
    Related side note: Is this chart still accurate? I do remember many beards ago that there was a change between letters/numbers and what they meant.

B1
    Zero off sucks
    Shut up and ski
    thagerVONMANBruce_Butterfield
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,483 Mega Baller
    C2
    @bf` the chart is accurate.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    bf`
  • vernonreevevernonreeve Posts: 73 Baller
    Seems like skier weight should be another question. It would be interesting to see what 200lb+ skiers are using. And maybe 180-200, and under 180.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,442 Mega Baller
    B1
    @Chef23 b2 is fairly strong on most boats (unlike pp)
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    C3
    @vernonreeve Big guys who ski hard seem to prefer C.

You either want as little reaction from the boat (A1) or as much reaction (C3). Light smooth skiers won't need much reaction no matter what. Heavier skiers who pull things around critically need comfortable timing of the needed power response.

@MS 's comments aside, ZO provides a consistent repeatable feel to the pull. While the new PP is much better, the reliability and ease of ZO is magic. And easy to adapt to.

Eric
    thagervernonreeve
    Thanks. B2 was fine
    B1
    @eleeski I am pissed at ZO the company for lack of interist in truly making a top shelf product for Slalom and for the poor customer service surrounding upgrading the system. I would disagree about the reliability and ease when B1 feels totally differant on every boat. Takes 3 passes to figure out if it’s the boat or am I skiing like crap.
    Shut up and ski
    dislandDrago
    C3
    @MS Fair enough observations.

Personally I've done OK with the variation between manufacturers but there might be something there. Along the lines of wake variations. No variations between boats of the same model.

More importantly, no variations from day to day. Once you figure out your letter on your boat, it's always the same. Can't blame the pull so I'd better figure out what I'm doing.

The ease to the driver is fantastic. Push the throttle and perfect times which feel the same behind any driver that can steer.

Customer service is slow but eventually happens. The ZO American Skier project is way behind schedule. I can blame a bit of that on ZO but really it's me. But I am reluctant to send back the current head which has a minor glitch because of the delays in the past.

It is magic for tricks and jump - rerides are so rare.

I'm still a ZO fan.

Eric
    jimski

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file