Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phone ap for speedo?

Srkin9Srkin9 Posts: 6 Baller
Any body ever use a phone ap for their speedometer.... I ski behind a friends 79’ Correct Craft and the speedo does not work so we are always guessing our speed. I was thinking about downloading an ap and was wondering if someone has done this and knows what ap to get.

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,957 Mega Baller
    Pretty much any GPS app like Waze has a built in speed display. Not sure if there is a separate app but you can get the actual speed using that. Before I upgraded to Stargazer in my boat I used to use a GPS app on the phone to set my speedos.
    Mark Shaffer
  • WeappaWeappa Posts: 64 Baller
    I've used the Ulysse Speedometer app on android in the past to calibrate my Jeep's speedo. It worked well.
    ISP6ballscorban2
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,957 Mega Baller
    I just looked in the Apple App store and there are at least a few free speedometer apps I would think any of them will work.
    Mark Shaffer
  • DanoDano Posts: 116 Baller
    edited July 2018
    I'm using an old android phone for my speedo since I don't have PP. It works quite well. The androids update rate for the GPS seems to be a little faster so it makes mainitaining speed a little easier. My iphone (5s) seems to lag too much when using the speedo apps, so it will read say 34mph and then the next time it changes it might say 32mph. Leads me to believe the refresh rate of the iphone is too slow and so it doesn't track the speed as it's changing accurately enough.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,568 Mega Baller
    I always use one to set up speedos and PP in open water. Used to have a really sweet app but lost it over the years. You need tenths and big numbers, try Balabanimation
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 820 Crazy Baller
    I used DigiHUD on my Samsung phone and tablet mounted to dash with a nato mount. Worked great. Both devices seemed to update speeds very well. That app had some nice features. Primary being speed settings and digit color based on speed. Target speed one color, then other colors below a chosen speed and differnet color above another chosen speed. That way if you're watching the course you can see the color changes out of the corner of your eye. It would also beep when it hit those speed ranges which you may or may not hear over the engine and wind.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,714 Mega Baller
    Also used digihud. Works really well I'd you note the rpm for certain speeds in advance.
  • DynaSkiPeteDynaSkiPete Posts: 137 Baller
    There are a number of inexpensive ($100) GPS Speedometers on the market. I've tried a couple and they are decent for the money. My outboard has a GPS that reads in tenths and is very fast to react. Might even be to fast. To bad Airguide does not make one. The Livorsi Water Ski Speedometer is one of the best. Also the most expensive. The second one can be had from Lowrance as Evinrude does not sell it anymore. Compared to the cost of even a used water ski boat an add on GPS Speedometer is pretty cheap I think.

• Tbone71857Tbone71857 Posts: 22 Baller
    Great advice on the DigiHUB app for Android. Used it today to pull the teenagers across the lake. While it's a wakeboard for them, I was able to hold the boat at 19 MPH with more success than the speedometer. Now, need to get the wife trained on how to keep the boat at 31 MPH for my slalom runs.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,714 Mega Baller
    @Tbone71857 lacking speed control pick an RPM and have her use it. Show her that in the boat or put a bit of painters tape with a mark.

If you need faster peel it off and reapply for the next run and get her used to putting the needle at the mark.

You'd think speed is easier but it hunts and people chase it.
  • Tbone71857Tbone71857 Posts: 22 Baller
    Thank you @BraceMaker - I've tried the RPM tactic with her...remember, babe, it's 3400 RPMs...she forgets to look, etc. She's new to pulling skiers so I'm very patient. She may do better with the phone showing a digital readout sitting in the cup-holder just starboard of the steering wheel. We shall see... And yes, speed is so hard. Pulling the girls today was challenging at such slow speeds - getting the boat to plane, then it accelerates, pulling back, it wants to come off of plane. I was able to do it so I'm hopeful she can as well.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,852 Infinite Pandas
    edited July 2018
    @BraceMaker RPM works OK for slalom but is terrible for tricks. There's enough inertia in both the boat and engine to maintain a tolerable slalom speed. Calibrate with a speedo. Listen for changes in engine load. Adjust as needed.

Tricks are too close to the plane off speed. The same RPM can work for both sides of the plane. An accurate speed readout works better. Look at the wake as well. Adjust as needed.

Eric
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,535 Mega Baller
    Okay, I found it. Here is the BEST Speedo phone app.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,535 Mega Baller

John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    DynaSkiPete
  • DynaSkiPeteDynaSkiPete Posts: 137 Baller
    I have taught people to drive using the tachometer with the GPS speedometer to get them in range. However I have no slalom skiers or course. If they go by the GPS speedometers with tenths of a mph readouts they do see saw the throttle.