Help choosing a ski for my ski level

skigirl00skigirl00 Posts: 34 Baller
edited August 2018 in Skis Fins Bindings
I’m looking into purchasing a new ski soon and need help finding one for my skill level. I currently slalom ski on open water on a lake more often than i do a course... but I am hoping to join the water ski club in college to ski a course majority of the time. What are some good slalom skis to look for?

I have looked at the HO Syndicate and the HO CX. Any suggestions?

Comments

• JetsetrJetsetr Posts: 197 Baller
    Radar Senate line...
    skigirl00
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,699 Mega Baller
    In the HO family I would look at the Omni. The Radar Senate would be good as would the Connelly V.
    Mark Shaffer
    Bill22skigirl00
  • skigirl00skigirl00 Posts: 34 Baller
    @Chef23 have you ever tried the carbon omni? I've looked into this ski and it has great reviews. I'm just a little hesitant as to how well it would handle in a course.
    @Jetsetr is there a Radar Senate that would fit the criteria for open water as well as future competitive course skiing?
  • kyleganselkylegansel Posts: 25 Baller
    HO Omni Syndicate if you can swing the little extra. Awesome ski for the course and open water free skiing. Very stable!
    skigirl00
    Thank you @kylegansel ! Any thoughts on the carbon omni? It's a bit more affordable, but wasn't sure how well it could handle a course.
    kylegansel
    @skigirl00 Ya know I'm really not sure. I'd try and demo both of them if you can somewhere. I typically do that but took a chance on the Omni. I've gone from the A1, to the S2, to the Omni so I wanted to stick with Syndicate type skis. The nice thing I like about the Omni is it's slightly wider all throughout so it's very stable. You can ski it at slower speed too and not have tremendous drag. As advertised they say you can run more passes and not feel as tired and that's very true.
    edited August 2018
    @kylegansel Thank you again! I have a 65" 2018 Connelly Concept Impulse Series that I got last year and need a major upgrade. I have ridden a 2016 Syndicate and fell in love with it; I tested it on open water, not a course. The Carbon Omni is intriguing, but I'm thinking I may need a more challenging ski.
    @skigirl00 Wow, my 2nd slalom ski back in 1998 was a Concept. Heavy old sob which in fact someone on the lake still has it. I'm not sure what the current concept is like. The Syndicate Omni is the lightest of the three they sell. If the current 2018 concept is heavier you might be ok with the Carbon Omni. I just had the pleasure of speaking with HO Customer Service a few days ago and they could not have been more helpful. Give them a call and they can probably help you pick the correct ski.
    skigirl00
    @kylegansel Okay! Thank you! The new Concept is a perfect open water performance ski, especially it being my first ski. I learned a lot from it, but I am ready for a change in skill level.
    kylegansel
    @skigirl00 awesome! Good luck!
    skigirl00
    @skigirl00 I haven't skied the Omni. I think @scotchipman did ski the Omni at 34 mph in the course. I would think as you develop your course skis the Omni will be great and more forgiving than a Syndicate.

I have been skiing a Radar Katana this year at 30 mph and up to 28 off in the course and the Omni based on its shape will be a much more aggressive ski than the Katana.
    Mark Shaffer
    skigirl00
    @Chef23 When you are referencing the Omni, are you referring to the Omni, Carbon Omni or the Syndicate Omni?
    If you are going to ski the course I would recommend the Carbon Omni as a minimum. If you can afford the Syndicate I would say there isn't a downside.
    Mark Shaffer
    kyleganselsunvalleylawshansen345
    Thank you @Chef23 . I have been looking at the Carbon Omni since it came out, and it seems to have great reviews.
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,078 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I skied on the 65" Syndicate Omni in the course through 35', loved the ski through 32' but started to get to loose at 35' off. I sold the ski which ended up being damaged in shipping (more likely by the buyer) and I now have it back.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    @scotchipman good to know. I highly doubt I'll make it to 35' off in the next few years, so the Omni series may be the one for me. Have you heard anything about the Carbon Omni. Or the Radar Senate?
    Carbon Omni is a little heavier version with a different core, Radar Senate is another good option. The Omni is wider in the tail than the Senate and also has what HO calls clean edge technology behind the rear binding to the tail. HO says Clean Edge Technology reduces drag 50% by allowing water to release cleanly off the bottom of the ski. I can say that the Omni is a very efficient ski that requires very little input to accelerate, very easy to get up on, I loved it through 32' off.
    kylegansel
    Picture of my now damaged 65" Omni. :'( :'( :'(
    @scotchipman Awesome advice. When you say a little heavier, is it still on the lighter side? I do not know much about the Senate, but many peeps have been recommending it. I am pretty solid at getting up, so I am not too concerned about not being able to.

I'm sorry to hear about your Omni Syndicate. That really stinks.
    Yes, the Carbon Omni is still a light ski. If you can you should demo the Senate and Omni, would love to hear what you think of them both.
    skigirl00
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,045 Mega Baller
    On essentially all skis the bindings end up being the heaviest part. If you can go RTP right on the ski and a light weight hybrid boot you minimize weight far more than the difference in the lamination tiers.
    skigirl00
    Sweet! @scotchipman . I'll look into it.
    Okay @BraceMaker. I prefer softshell bindings over hardshell.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,219 Mega Baller
    I still fail to understand why anyone cares how much a ski weighs.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    Soft hybrid bindings are light and more comfy than rubber.
    skigirl00
    @oldjeep I think that a lighter ski provides the skier with more control when on the course as well as when you are free skiing.
  • JoelhJoelh Posts: 16 Baller
    Try a connelly carbon v somtimes if u search the net u can get a good second hand water ski that might normally be out of your price range
    skigirl00
    Thank you so much for the recommendation @Joelh! I will look into the connelly carbon v.
    @skigirl00 I think lighter can be thrown around more easily. I remember going to my Goode 9200 and thinking I could really throw it outbound. But then again it also was a ski that didn't perform nearly as well on chop as the D3 I went to that was atleast a bit heavier. Would be skier weight does a lot too. I had the 9200 when I was about 150 Id think maybe lighter folk could benefit with keeping weight in check
    skigirl00