Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ski sizing no mans land

I always seem to hover between 195 and 205 , this seems to always be the grey areas on each manufacturers skis. I'm looking to try the D3 evo this fall and hopefully the new GTR . I'm normally 3 to 4 balls into 35 off this summer so far(34 mph). current ski is a 2015 67" v-type but was wondering if a jump to a 68 would help.

Comments

• AndreAndre Posts: 986 Crazy Baller
    Same thing as you on all the numbers.Always been on 67 until last year where my skiing weight went up to 208 and needed a ski.Got myself a 68 Quest 45 but during winter i lost weight and i'm down to 190.68 feel great with easier deepwater start and less tiring to ski.
    I adjusted bindings and fin to make the ski feel a bit shorter and everything is fine on the 68 and i ski exactly the same scores (2-3 at 35 ) as on my 67 Radar.
    I never felt that the 68 was too big after losing weight.
    jskier43
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 796 Crazy Baller
    I've always ridden a 68 at 200-210. Last year I was down to 188 when I tried the '18 Vapors at Nats. Rode both 67 and 68, bought the 68. 67 just felt small even though at 188 I should have been on the 67.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    k354x4
  • ToddFToddF Posts: 487 Baller
    I am 195-200 and went down to a 67 and am going to go back to a 68. It didn't seem to help, if anything I am going to blame my lower buoy count to the the smaller ski. :)
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 466 Solid Baller
    My other sport is powerlifting, and my weight can and has fluctuated wildly from 190 up to 250 and back in a year. Most 68" skis I have been on work great from 190-210 and then start to roll off performance wise after that. At about 220 they start turning like pigs and the deep-water starts become very difficult. Unless you want to get and stay below 190, I would personally roll with a 68.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,250 Crazy Baller
    Rule of thumb (whoever he is) if on the edge go longer.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    eyepeeler
  • blagratablagrata Posts: 59 Baller
    Are there any good intermediate skis out there that are a 68"? I'm always right in the middle of a 67 and a 69 for all of the weight ranges for the senate, HO skis etc. The only ones in the 68" length seem to the be the high end ones. I ski 15 off 32-34 mph. I currently ski a HO CX superlite 69 inch. I feel like something shorter might be a little better for me at 190 - 195 lbs... but am a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a 67".
    Weappa
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,621 Mega Baller
    At your size I honk a 67” Omni, Senate or V would work fine at 32 or 34 mph. I weigh 205 and have been skiing a Katana at 30 mph 22 off- 32 off and am just about to get back on my Goode Mid which is 66” and will start at 32 mph. The Goode Mid looks smaller to me than a 67” Senate or Omni.

HO has a demo program so you could try one and if you need a bigger one swap it. H2OProshop does something where you commit to buying a ski and they will swap it out if it doesn’t work.
    Mark Shaffer
    blagrata
  • MJEMJE Posts: 109 Baller
    190-195 6-1" 34mph skier. Mid 35off occasionally into 38. Prefer stability of a 68" ski over a 67" and tune turn radius to liking with DFT adjustments.
    ALPJr
    @Chef23 Since skis went on sale yesterday I decided to take a chance and go for the 67" Syndicate Omni.... will try it out this weekend. It may just encourage me to keep my weight down.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,621 Mega Baller
    @blagrata I think that Syndicate Omni looks like an awesome ski. I would love to try one.
    Mark Shaffer
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,991 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    With the different width skis like the Mid Ride, Senate, Omni it sure would be nice if the manufactures would post not just the length but also surface area numbers....
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    @scotchipman Radar has surface area on their website. Very insightful. A 67 Senate is similar in area to a 68 vapor
    scotchipmanKRoundy
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,991 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Thanks @blagrata for pointing that out. I know Radar and Goode had them listed in the past, nice to see Radar still posting them.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates