Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What did you like about this year Nationals?

JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 369 USAWS Official
Kills me to see nothing but negative threads on Nationals when overall it was a great event. Nationals has probably 10,000 decisions to make from start to finish by everyone involved, some decisions might not have worked out but you learn from them and try to keep improving. Mystic lakes did an outstanding job, officials worked their tails off to pull off the largest nationals in 14 years, America's Cup was awesome. So lets hear the good so West Palm can do the same next year!
AWSA President

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,989 Mega Baller
    Broadcast of Open Men and America's Cup ROCKED.

First time in my recollection that there was a great spectator experience of the Nationals possible from the comfort of my TV room.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    MISkierrobmollysilverlake
  • JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 369 USAWS Official
    pretzels at the concessions stand had to be the best pretzel I have tasted :)
    AWSA President
    BlueSkiJody_Seal
  • BoozeBooze Posts: 315 Baller
    The announcing/PA, facilities, proximity to civilization, skiing conditions, and boat driving were all good for me. So it was an overall good experience. Plus I skied 'properly'...had the lead for a good while and got bumped to 6th by the top seed. Fun stuff.
    Plus, we were graced by the presence of Hortonism. :D :D :D
  • ThomasAliveThomasAlive Posts: 44 Baller
    Thanks Jeff!

Great experience for us! The wife and I both skied to our abilities and even took a medal back home with us. Huge thanks to everyone who helped put it on. Hats off to all of you. Great site. Great people. The bullet holes in the hotel doors were not so great but made for a good story. Also got to meet Horton in person…meh. Kidding… maybe
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,155 Mega Baller
    1. Webcast
    2. Michigan contingent had a great showing (W8S, M7S, W1S, M2S, M3S, OMS, B3S, M4T, W7T, M3O, M4O, OMO, W7O, W8O, etc.)
    3. Participation is up.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    DaveDGoSkiNow
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,079 Mega Baller
    @AKBob We had a good rhythm on the dock when you were there! Glad you enjoyed the event!
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,459 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    It was great to see so many participants in Open. They got to ski their age divisions as well in a lot of cases. Wonderful!

America's Cup rocked!

Fun tournament!

Eric
    klindyj2nh
  • gjohnsongjohnson Posts: 288 Baller
    I'm with Jeff, it's killing me to see the negativity take over all the smiles I saw for the week. As people bash lake three, keep in mind that lake 3 isn't part of Mystic Lakes. It was donated by a local resident for us to use all week. I think it's amazing that one individual, whose not a water skier, would open his property to the biggest nationals in years. That is a testament to how welcoming the people in Kansas are. You show up and you're part of the Kansas family for the duration.

The America's Cup vibe was unbelievable. I woke up the next day wondering if I'd been at a massive party or a water ski tournament. Freddy jumping 220 was pretty cool. Watching runoffs for first place is some slalom events was exciting. Lastly, watching Chris Clark run 1.5 -39 to get fourth as the 17th seed, roughly, was outstanding.
    Greg Johnson ~ Team Beer
    klindyBruce_Butterfieldskimom17
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,186 Administrator
    I moved this thread to the section of the site where only USAWS members can comment. If you are a member of USAWS but the comment box is missing Click here

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

mcskier41
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,463 Mega Baller
    I wasn't there but I followed it closely online. I enjoyed having the results in near real time on Waterskiresults.com. The webcast was awesome. I watched a ton of it. Thanks to everyone that made it happen. Hopefully next year I can qualify and compete in my first Nationals. If I ever qualify I will definitely go.
    Mark Shaffer
    klindyThan_BoganMISkierj2nh
    I think the way practice was run was a stroke of genius.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

jcamp
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,368 Mega Baller
    I got to Hang out with @eleeski and @Horton.
    I met a famous Baseball player.
    the site was fabulous. can we go back?
    The Americas cup was pretty darn good, who needs an US open when we got that! Just dont sell out to a boat company!
    Oh! And team Florida won the team competition for the third year in a row!!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• LLUSALLUSA Posts: 234 Crazy Baller
    beautiful site, houses where definitely above my pay grade, landscaping impressive, location perfect, @ Booze are you saying I don't live in civilazation
    LLUSA, Sr Driver, AWSA Board of Directors, Towboat Committee,Lake Owner
    Jody_Seal
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 252 Baller
    15 minutes from Dreamland!
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 525 Crazy Baller
    • Great location close to hotels
    • America’s Cup was an exceptional event
    • Great hosts that dealt with an overwhelming amount of skiers
    • @mbabiash for hosting offsite practice (I still owe you a beer, I never found the cooler that Horton had hidden)
    • Regina for making my 9-year-old feel like a champ for his PB
    • Nate getting up and giving my injured 14-year-old a subtle pep talk after Nate saw him come out of the lake limping and disappointed
    Yes, I posted this before, but I tried an edit and blew up the post.
    scorban2bishop8950nikandsteve
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,124 Mega Baller
    edited August 14
    Everything about my experience was better than positive. I thought the LOC did a great job and I was very impressed with the site. I thought the judging areas were appropriate and the guy in charge of water and ice right on top of it. I didn’t mind tricking on Lake 3 with no crowd; frankly if you know how i trick you know why i am relieved to not do so in public. I didn’t Slalom on Lake 3 but i did judge there, and the conditions were the same for all, i thought. I am not speaking to other factors there. Wichita is a nice city with a cool downtown, great restaurants and I can speak for at least one great camp ground (with storm shelter, not needed, thank you). What stood out as particularly good were the America’s Cup, the golf cart shuttle service and the super friendly driver with the pith helmet, and the quality of the awards, which sadly I did not win, again.

NOTE: I do not list meeting @Horton among the best part of the week as he had plenty of chances to take my picture and post it, and refrained in each instance. A snub!
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • BroussardBroussard Posts: 332 Solid Baller
    The site was beautiful, conditions were very nice while I was there (Thursday through Saturday), and the medals were extremely nice/substantial. The Cup ran quite late, but there seemed to be a lot of people along the bank enjoying the action.
    Andre Broussard - Louisiana
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,124 Mega Baller
    @JeffSurdej Jeff, since numbers are up, we should find out why so many skiers elected to go to Nationals this year. Geography? America’s Cup? Number of Open skiers participating? New site? Site reputation? Never seen a “flyover State?” Chance to see a tornado? Skiing well this year? What? Put up a survey with the reasons you think may have attracted folks so you can build on success. I know I’ll check “I go every year.”
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    klindyBrennanKMN
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 276 Baller
    although I skied sub par, my 2 days there were great!! I saw lots of ski friends and made some new ones.
    I got to ski on a near by site, thx to @mbabiash !! the vendors area was nice, food options had something for everyone within 15 min of site.

I explored Wichita a bit,found a decent gym, imax to get out of the heat/was really hot!, guitar center, almost bought a parker fly, what a beauty!
    lots of hotel choices..WPB will be as great or better as all of these things plus are even closer to the site!

IF I had 1 thing to input, it'd simply be to hold nationals where there is a major airport or 2 near by/within an hour. connecting is terrible and makes for a long day. I could have gotten to Paris faster than I did Wichita.
    For me, time away is difficult, so efficiency of travel is important to me.
    santangelo
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 145 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Although i skied poorly, the conditions and site were great. Easy access and accommodations, friendly atmosphere.

I liked the concept (but never seemed to work) of having the Nationals at same site two consecutive years so you can “get the lay of the land” and better plan what, where, how for the 2nd year.

Reducing the burden on the hosting site should improve the likelihood of 2 year bids and actuall execution
    Jody_SealDano
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,368 Mega Baller
    Being that Maize is almost the Geographic center of the US it should be the perennial home of the national championships.
    would have loved to bring Team Seal back next year but hey Nationals is in our own back yard for 2019.
    My favorite nationals #1 Boise #2 San Marcos #3 Maize #4 Bako #5 Chicago.
    Again great 2018 Nationals, sad we are not going back next year..
    WPB will deliver in 2019 as they alway's do!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

@lpskier plan to do a survey, we did one last year, funny thing is that the 4 day vs 5 day nationals was #1 on last years survey as far as reason for attending but the 5 day did not hurt anything this year
    AWSA President
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,459 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @JeffSurdej Best part of Nationals? Getting to ski against you, the president! (And the other guys.) Fun times and good skiing!

Eric
    @eleeski you mean beating me :)
    AWSA President
    eleeski
    Seems like having the event in the middle of the country means a lot more skiers could drove there.

Bruce_ButterfieldJody_Sealusaski1
  • sunperchsunperch Posts: 205 Solid Baller
    I loved the advance practice scheduling, almost perfect weather for KS in August, seeing our "Nationals" friends from around the country, close hotels, awesome willow tree shade at the east of the slalom lake, junior banquet on site, HAVING A SWIMMING AREA !!!!!!
    Hortonwalleye