Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashburn Virginia Skiing

BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 452 Crazy Baller
edited August 2018 in News & Other Stuff
I am considering a move to Loudoun County Virginia, more specifically the Ashburn area. I am curious what the skiing is like there. I currently use my own boat and ski in the course on 3 different lakes 3-5 times a week. Because of the job I would be moving to the boat likely would be left behind for several years. Is there any ski clubs or anything near that area?
Just trying to get a feel for what the ski scene is like. Skiing plays a role in whether I take the job or not.
Obrienslalom

Comments

• dvskierdvskier Posts: 487 Crazy Baller
    Check with Corey he’s in Bumpass just south of Lake Anna. Great site and a really good guy.
    skicorey
    peaceloveandwaterskiing
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,585 Crazy Baller
    It’s too bad your job isn’t a little south of Ashburn. I was going to say look into a house at Lake of the Woods but that is a long 1.5 hr commute each way.
    In gear. Hit It. Thank You!
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 582 Crazy Baller
    I lived in the Northern VA area for over 30 years. I'm sorry to say that so far as I know there isn't a ski course near Ashburn. Yeah, Corey Vaughn is south of there but that's 2 hours away. It's really not a great area for skiing. Maybe there's someplace I don't know about.
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 582 Crazy Baller
    Spoke to my wife who has driven all around that area for work. She can't recall ever seeing a lake suitable for skiing.
  • waterbeatwaterbeat Posts: 14 Baller
    The closest ski clubs in the area are Timberlake, Lake Holly, and Lake Chaney. Lake Chaney is in Brandywine, MD, about 90 minutes from Ashburn. Timberlake and Lake Holly are in Sparta VA and about two hours away. Travel to all could be unpredictably longer in traffic. Links below.

Lake Chaney: https://www.facebook.com/groups/155940957806250/
    www.lakeholly.com
    www.skitimerlake.com
    Obrienslalom
  • ObrienslalomObrienslalom Posts: 64 Baller
    I live in Sterling, VA. I ski on Lake Anna, and just visited Corey's spot for the first time last week (which was awesome). I agree with the above, everywhere is going to be about 2 hours away.
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 452 Crazy Baller
    Thanks for all the responses. Looks like no matter what I'd be struggling to ski.
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,585 Crazy Baller
    @BrennanKMN some good news, I know two families that ski on the Potomac River. Also, last I heard Timber Lake was looking for new members, it’s close enough to ski on the weekends. I’ll try to get you some contact info and PM you.
    In gear. Hit It. Thank You!
  • Yeah I ski on the Potomac several times a week. We don’t have a course yet but looking into it. Let me know if you are interested in checking it out.