Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wide handle? Narrow Handle?

Ryota Ryota Posts: 69 Baller
Hey Ballers!

Which you prefer to use Wide handle or Narrow Handle for slalom? and Why?

Is this depend on one's preference? or there are some profit to use wide/narrow.
IronR1

Comments

• swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,017 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Wide (13"), otherwise I always seem to grab the handle between my index and middle finger, vs my entire hand. Also prefer curved FWIW, as I don't seem to get as tired in the arms.
    Scott Calderwood
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,296 Mega Baller
    Narrow. Less chance of an over the head especially with a guard. Wide handles seem to pull from the outside corners initially before they hook up for me. Just doesn't feel right. I misgrab both equally.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Than_BoganWishski6jones
  • jayskijayski Posts: 628 Crazy Baller
    Wide... was my choice always but I was asked once while getting coached why do you have such a wide handle and keep your hands so close together...theory was/is that with your hands as far as they can be it allows space between your arms to push your chest up through, narrow grip inhibits it more...most strength pulling/pushing movements are hands shoulder width apart...maybe we need even wider handles?
    MISkier
  • DWDW Posts: 1,851 Mega Baller
    Wide - 13" so I don't hook fingers outside, small diameter, bent to reduce tendinitis. Personal preference. Add arm/head guard to all handles.
    Youghskier
  • WIRiverRatWIRiverRat Posts: 46 Baller
    I prefer a wide handle. I seem to miss the handle a lot less, amazing what that inch difference can make. I am probably one of the very few who also much prefer a .94 diameter. I find I can hold that in a different spot in my hands and I almost never have a tear on my hands anymore and can hold on much longer. Anything 1in and above I hold low in my palms and rip my hands constantly.
    mcskier41
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 270 Baller
    i really like my 13" Masterline handle - seems perfect size to me. I don't care for the curved handles.
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,320 Mega Baller
    The number of times I split fingers on my 13, I'd wiff the handle completely on a 12.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,253 Mega Baller
    I skied for years with a 12” handle and went to a 13” for some of the reasons that @jayski listed (less separation of handle from body when you can push your chest through your arms).

I’ve had to use an old 12” handle twice this year, including last night, when my 13” needing restringing and again when I broke the head/arm guard on the 13”. I find I greatly prefer the 13” and really just can’t go back to the 12”. It’s very noticeable.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    rodecon
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,017 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I can't go back either. I'd wiff the handle every time.
    Scott Calderwood
  • z_skierz_skier Posts: 20 Baller
    I use a 13" (wide), but definitely a personal preference. I dock-started a record slalom tournament and noticed a WIDE variety of handles among the top skiers. There was little to no trend in the handles as each was very unique to the skier, almost all were different combinations of length / diameter.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,991 Mega Baller
    Do you have man hands or feminine hands?

jk. But it does depend on how wide your hands are. If I allow for a 1" gap between my hands, I have about 1" on either end before the end caps on a 12" handle. The extra 1/2" on each end makes a difference...

If you ski a 13 for awhile and then go back to a 12, it is a big difference. At least for me.
    That is why I ski a 13 Ergo, as there is even some useable handle out past the normal end caps.

bikesrus
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,402 Crazy Baller
    I just switched from a 12” US Gear radius handle to a 12” Masterline curved handle. The radius feels much more like a traditional 13”. The difference between the two is most noticeable on the dock and when I’m out of the course. Once I’m rounding bouys I don’t seem to notice.

I have the custom carbon handle and once the arm protector is installed, the weight difference doesn’t seem all that noticeable either.
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 810 Crazy Baller
    edited October 5
    Which did the GOAT use, a "wide" or "narrow" handle, and why?
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 875 Crazy Baller
    12” bent In-tow is what I use. Reduces strain on my elbows and helps me keep the handle to my hips being narrow.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,641 Mega Baller
    To some extent I think an important factor is how wide your shoulders are. I feel a little cramped on a 12" handle although I can use one with no problems.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,043 Mega Baller
    I would venture a guess that "most" people will slightly prefer a 13" handle. However, I am 100% with @thager and I prefer the 12" for the same reasons.

The biggest thing I notice with a larger handle is that I'll get my two hands biased to one side rather easily, and the weird torque that results feels terrible to me.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    thager
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,852 Mega Baller
    @Gloersen i thought super narrow like 11" and I also seem to recall small diameter tube.
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,013 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    12" bent In-Tow with a cross bar is what I use and love. I prefer a 12" over 13" and the extra safety of the smaller opening to put a head through is for sure a nice plus.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    Than_Bogan
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,225 Crazy Baller
    13" bent Masterline is my current favorite. But, also use a 12 inch straight Masterline. Like it about as much. It's a handle.
    Good point about the safety of a 12. It won't fit over my head.
    I could show a pic a very ugly arm I got about 15 years ago though. But I won't.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,991 Mega Baller
    Maybe I have a big head but the 13” Ergo would be hard pressed to get over my head. Different yoke not as long. Not impossible but would have to be just right or wrong, depending how you look at it.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,976 Mega Baller
    Brenda ties 11" handles for me, after I put a slight bend in them. The shorter handle helps me keep my elbows pinned to the vest. It takes a little getting used to, but mis-grabs are rare when I'm paying attention. And if you have hem tied with pink rope, no one will take by mistake.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Dragojipster43
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,665 Administrator
    12" only for 40+ years. 13" handles feel all wrong.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

DragoRyota
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 810 Crazy Baller
    @BraceMaker - reputedly at one time. 12" as well. Narrower grip; more balanced pull.

• sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,230 Mega Baller
    Hey @bigskieridaho , which way is your handle bent? For my elbow problems I had a couple years ago, it would have been better for the handle to be bent like a moustache rather than a smile. Like how hands would be on swept back handle bars. Seems like most bent bars are the other way, and when I tried that, I did not like it. Fortunately, my elbows felt better after a season's rest, and some exercises, and I have not had trouble with my small diameter 13. I like your theory on the hips. I might try a 12 to see how that works for me.
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 875 Crazy Baller
    @sunvalleylaw bent ARS handle. No elbow problems since. Bent the normal radius style.
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,734 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited October 6
    @Gloersen Andy Mapple used 10" handle have no idea what diameter, when I asked him why such a small handle he suggested that you are stronger with your hands closer together.

" My Arms Keep Going Numb May Have To Use My Teeth”

dvskier
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 894 Mega Baller
    My proprioception isn't good enough to use anything smaller than a 13.
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 183 Baller
    I have a 13"
  • shansen345shansen345 Posts: 180 Baller
    13-inch
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,198 Mega Baller
    12" I'm with @Horton.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly