35 off gate and 1 ball - what is wrong?

MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,385 Mega Baller
Here is a quick video of a 34 mph 35 off gate and 1 ball (well, almost). I'm looking to see what went wrong here. The two main things that I saw were:

1. Should have been on the front of the ski more in the glide. Front leg a little too straight.
2. The overturn at one ball looks like the ski bit a little and stopped slightly. I'm thinking that maybe shoulders were a little forward into that turn and caused a slight bend at the waist to make the ski bite. Both of those position errors were magnified as soon as the ski stopped a little.

What do others see here and/or what could I have done leading up to the problem to prevent it? Thanks in advance.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Comments

• RichRich Posts: 252 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    More front foot on glide, let your arms out all the way, look into the boat, not where you are going, which will keep your right shoulder from turning into the boat, which will give you more outbound direction so you wont have the slack
    MISkier
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,385 Mega Baller
    @Rich, let my arms out all the way where? In the glide? Or, as I pull through the wake? I do have a very bad habit of pulling in as I go from the white water to centerline.

I like the tip on looking at the boat. I don’t really think about my line of sight through the gate - or what that could be doing to my shoulders. I’m probably too focused on getting to the ball, which is apparently where I am directly aiming.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,549 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Miskier let arms out here. Rest of it looks pretty good.

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    MISkierZman
    edited October 2018
    Yours:

MISkiertrickinainteasy
    edited October 2018
    Where I see the advantage of reaching with straight arms is setting the upper body ahead of the lower keeping weight on the front of the ski and actually getting ahead of it. Way more surface area up there accelerating the ski more efficiently. So much so that the ski catches up to you..may feel like it won't but it does. Side affect is the ski will get faster sooner meaning getting over to the other side quicker allowing you more space before the ball. You can see the pictured comparison diff and how yours will always have more drag forcing a longer pull to generate the speed needed causing slack as there was not enough time to slow the ski down.
    MISkierZmanozski
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,023 Mega Baller
    edited October 2018
    @MISkier it looks like your sitting on the tail in the turn in for the gates. Freeze the frames and you will see how little ski is in the water when you start your turn. Also note you are leaning ahead of the ski and end up in a bent forward position in the white water and not in a chest up eyes level strong position.

I’d try to push your left hip forward and counter above the waist to keep your width and wait until the ski comes around more before you lean way (not back). Keep chest up and eyes level until you hit the second wake. Should give you more space to setup a turn.

Google Seth Stisher at Belalogo. Great video of a LFF skier.
    MISkierdvskier
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,401 Mega Baller
    edited October 2018
    Wish and AB are on the right track. The biggest thing I see is that as you start your turn in, you pull the handle up which causes your hips to drop back. Very inefficient leaning position and the weakest link is your biceps.

To fix it, get wider on your gates (probably start your pullout earlier), as you start your turn in, consciously think about turning in with your knees and force the handle down to your your hips (in the video, you are pulling the handle up to your shoulders).

Those 2 things should make a major improvement. The simple things make the most difference. Its way too easy to over-analyze it.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    ZmanMISkierThan_Bogansmalor
    Lots of great information here. Thanks @Wish for the images, too. A picture always helps.

I’ll be skiing today and will try these things. We are running out of time here, so I’m hoping to make an immediate positive impact. Not sure if I’ll get to -35 today, but will work on it at all lengths/passes.

@AB, I have disliked how much tail turn I have had for my gate all year. Just didn’t know what to do about it. Will think of how I initiate it more.

Arm position is a big weakness for me. Another skier noted it just on Thursday. A change might be good for me physically. My right bicep has been painful recently and has some weakness that I will have to rehab over the winter.
  • MillerTime38MillerTime38 Posts: 278 Crazy Baller
    edited October 2018
    What @adamhcaldwell didn’t say, after crossing the wakes your right shoulder comes forward giving up your outbound direction. I took still shot of your approach into one ball and another of mine at 35 coming into one. Not saying mine is perfect but you can see the difference with our right shoulders
    MISkierThan_BoganZman
  • adamhcaldwelladamhcaldwell Posts: 530 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited October 2018
    @MillerTime38 @MISkier , just to be clear, I was referring only to the pullout for gate glide and was not nothing after crossing CL. Sorry if that was unclear. I attempted to correct it!

Although, I agree, we don’t want to be twisted out of position there also.

MISkier
    Tried to work on some things today. Not an ideal day - in a drysuit, chatter on the water, and a brisk head/tail on the body. I also didn't think I executed well.

Here are passes at 22 off, 28 off, and 32 off. Poor results all around.

@adamhcaldwell, in the 32 off pass, you will see what I did most of the day, which was correct my left hand/arm position after I was in the glide. That was odd and actually changed my direction a little when I did it. In all cases, I still didn't feel connected to the boat at turn in and didn't get my arms as straight as I wanted. Perhaps I was still not timing things right and rushing the turn before the boat pulled me over.

I'm not sure how much more ski time we have left, but I'll try to work on it a bit before the season is over.

• adamhcaldwelladamhcaldwell Posts: 530 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited October 2018
    @MISkier

Still need more real estate in your glide!

The line is slack when you turn in because you do not have the time/space/distance to decelerate naturally before you hit the point of no return.

Try to start your pull out an entire boat length earlier then it is now. The body position in the pullout looks much better, you just need more “time” to settle in prior to zero ball. The only way you will find that “time/space/distance is by starting the pullout significantly earlier OR back off the intensity....but that’s usually not what I would recommend.

Also, if your correcting arm position in the glide that’s a bit late to make the effort. It should be a focus during the outbound lean in the pullout for the gate. Then as you stand up flat in the glide, the left hand and handle is right where you want it. Make sense?
    MISkierGaryWilkinson
    edited October 2018
    Thanks @adamhcaldwell. I was thinking that I was rushed. I will move the pullout much earlier.

Edited: I knew the late correction of the left hand and handle was wrong. That's why I included the very obvious occurrence at -32. I felt the other two passes were much closer to what I should be doing. Will concentrate on the correct hand/handle position during the pullout.
    adamhcaldwell
  • MillerTime38MillerTime38 Posts: 278 Crazy Baller
    Thanks @adamhcaldwell I went back and edited my comment 👍

adamhcaldwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file