Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Martin Bartalsky talks about the GT-R

ROBOTROBOT Posts: 68 Administrator
edited November 2 in Other Stuff

37812556 10156385906351217 4368463592412938240 o

A lot of brain power went into the development of Connelly’s new flagship ski, the GT-R. Among the masterminds involved, pro team skier Martin Bartalsky played a pivotal part in guiding the GT-R’s evolution. Check out what he has to say about it.

1. You were part of the testing process for the development of the GT-R. What were you hoping to achieve with the new ski?

I liked the GT a lot, but after some modifications, I found that I preferred more grip under my feet. With more grip, you are able to load the ski easier out of the turn and get to the other side quicker. Grip adds to the support and stability of the ski as well, which is important when you get in trouble and need to rely on the ski to be there for you. Grip is what we were hoping to achieve with the GT-R, and we got it.

2. How exactly where you involved in the overall development of the GT-R?

Doug got me involved during the early stages of the GT-R’s development. I rode a few different models and sent notes back and forth with Doug. He then ultimately decided which one would be the stock ski. I was in love with the finished product from the very beginning and knew it was going to be special after the very first set on it. 

3. What was changed from last year’s GT in order to make a ski for 2019 that is on a whole new level?

The GT-R is noticeably different out of the box. The tip and tail are thicker and the side edge angle has been changed. While it has many of the great characteristics of the GT, the added grip creates incredible room in the course. The GT-R is definitely an improved ride.

4. What are some things people should know about the different ways to setup their GT-R and how to maximize its efficiency for their style?

I recommend that the skiers try all stock setups to find out which one makes them feel more comfortable before fine-tuning. They should know immediately which one they prefer. 

The short and deep set up brings the tip out and drops the tail deeper in the water, making both turns very symmetric. The ski loads easily and holds a ton of angle through the wakes and gets side to side very easily. When you are in trouble this set up makes the ski pretty much bulletproof. The short and deep set up works great for me when I let the ski do its thing without pushing it too hard. 

With the long and shallow settings, the ski rides flatter on the water and is more engaged. It also does not sit as deep and as a result glides easier and carries more speed. However, the turns are not as effortless and thus the turning radius is larger. With long/shallow, you definitely put in more effort to grab the angle through the wakes in order to create the room in the course. I personally like to push the ski hard myself, so this combination works better for me.

5. What is your favorite aspect about the GT-R?

I love the grip under my feet. The GT-R is truly the best ski I have ever ridden. It lets you load early with a ton of angle through the wakes, which creates the speed and lots of room. The ski is incredibly stable and predictable. I love absolutely everything about the it. 

There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive, the Alliance is threatened.
andjules

Comments

• scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,013 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited November 2
    I took one set on a friends 67" GT-R in September and loved it, held angle like no other ski I have ever been on. I hoping to get my hands on one of my own to demo come spring (March) in Utah.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    ALPJrmjnelson
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 699 Crazy Baller
    Who is Doug?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,665 Administrator
    @jcamp Doug Cannon is the guy at Connelly who handles all R&D for skis.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• jcampjcamp Posts: 699 Crazy Baller
    edited November 2
    Thanks.
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,083 Mega Baller
    Since "grip" is apparently the skis outstanding feature, can someone wax eloquent on that? What the heck is "grip" in a ski?
    Is it time to ski, yet?
  • MSMS Posts: 4,896 Mega Baller
    @dchristman if you ever rode a N1 it had lots of grip
    Shut up and ski
    Than_BoganskialexZman
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,083 Mega Baller
    @MS no, I never rode an N1. As I understand it though, N1 is a ski that requires working harder. It seems to me grip and speed are at odds, so how does this ski have both?
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    edited November 2
    I rode the N1...it was a lot of work...rode deep in the water...but turned great. My one set on the GT-R did not remind me of the N, not as much work and held angle like no other ski I have ever been on. Possibly the grip Martin talks about is what I feel when I say it holds angle like no other ski I have been on???
    mjnelson
  • mjnelsonmjnelson Posts: 48 Baller
    Hopefully Martin Bartalsky chimes in...
    * Bump @Martin
  • The_KristaThe_Krista Posts: 90 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Grip in this context, I believe, is referring to its ability to grab and hold angle ... the dichotomy here is that typically you wouldn't describe a ski that rides deep and grabs a lot of angle as fast -- but in the case of the GT-R you get the best of both worlds...both grippy angle but still get the speed out of the turn and into the wakes. I hope this makes sense and I'm not just reiterating the slogan lol
    mjnelsonscotchipmanBill22BoneHead
  • kckc Posts: 98 Baller
    @Martin thanks for all this detailed description about how the new GT-R feels. I especially appreciate how you describe the difference in feel between long and shallow versus short and deep. I was wondering if you could provide numbers for these setups. I’m specifically interested in numbers for the 67 inch. Thanks in advance!
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,624 Crazy Baller
    Sounds like a good ski for the northern east region.
    FLeboeuf
  • The_KristaThe_Krista Posts: 90 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Hi @kc here is a diagram from @Connelly_Skis_Inc with the base factory settings... @Martin will likely have additional input :)
    mcskier41
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 744 Crazy Baller
    wow any ski set a 2.520 will have grip.
    @The_Krista I just went back to the Connelly website and found this and a lot more! I swear it wasn’t there a day or so ago! Thanks Krista 😀
    The_Krista
  • Connelly_Skis_IncConnelly_Skis_Inc Posts: 38 Water Ski Industry Professional
  • MartinMartin Posts: 15 Baller
    @kc i would start with the numbers posted. I personally like the fin a bit further forward on the GT and GTR. I personally liked the ski short/deep at 6.86 2.495 0.76 the most. I ride the ski on the long/shallow side of the spectrum with some minor tweaks. My depth is 2.462.

@Deanoski yes, the depth ads grip but when you take the length out you are not adding any fin area. It's really a personal preference. The ski has more grip even with 2.456 depth.

@ALPJr this is the most consistent ski I have ridden for sure skiing on waters 50-90 degrees. I used to live in Louisiana and always struggled with cold waters. I have lived in Utah for the past three years, and this is the first ski that I don't touch the fin when the water drops in the fall or spring. Feels very balanced and I don't feel like there is a need for changing the fin.
    scotchipman
    edited November 14
    @Martin @Connelly_Skis_Inc @The_Krista are the DFT numbers posted with the flat method or slot caliper? If flat any idea what the conversion to slot is?
    @Martin Thank you again for this additional insight!

@scotchipman Good question!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,665 Administrator
    @scotchipman Seriously?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

KillerMS
  • DavidPDavidP Posts: 162 Baller
    @scotchipman How would you describe the feel of the GTR to the Syndicate Pro and Alpha?
    David Panneton - LakePort Water Ski Club, formerly known as Muddy Waters
  • mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 404 Solid Baller
    No one uses the slot except Goode. I’ve gone away from it because the conversion is so variable.
    Horton
    @mbabiash A lot of people not on Goode like Dave Wingerter at HO and Chris Rossi at Radar use a slot caliper, you would be surprised of how many skiers use it that are not on Goode.

@DavidP I only took one set on the GT-R late in the season in my dry suit, hard to compare to the Pro and Alpha but the one thing I did notice is how much angle it held compared to the Pro or Alpha.
  • MartinMartin Posts: 15 Baller
    @scotchipman on the GT/GTR I found it to be about 0.15 difference and when I talk DTF I always use flat numbers. I'm not sure if there is a real conversion. Ddt I mentioned 0.76 was 0.775 with my slot. The official numbers are with flat so I always convert not to confuse anyone.
    scotchipman
  • mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 404 Solid Baller
    @scotchipman i was referring to ski companies posted numbers. I know lots of pros use the slot for a reference and I use it too but like @Martin stated, there really is no conversion that can translate. If you move the dft the same conversion doesn’t really translate even on the same ski. Great reference tool though to see how far you actually move consistently.
    scotchipman
    edited November 14
    Thanks @Martin

Thanks for the clarification @mbabiash which as far as I know has always been true...Goode is the only company that publishes DFT numbers from a slot caliper...wish they all would. The reason I asked is because some skiers that share numbers give out a slot DFT, I assume the published DFT numbers are with the flat method but always hope they start publishing slot. I have been working with Dave Wingerter at HO on settings for the last few years and from day one he gave me slot numbers before he even knew I owned a slot caliper so now I always double check what DFT numbers I'm getting.
    I’m with @scotchipman. Wish everyone was using a slot caliper for DFT measurements. It would sure make life simpler, not to mention improve accuracy.
    scotchipman