Nate Smith listed on “U.S. Center for SafeSport” database for Allegations of Misconduct

HortonHorton Posts: 26,537 Administrator
edited March 1 in Rules/Politics/Issues

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★ D3 ★ DBSkis ★ Fin Whisper ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

walleyeGoode9700slalom

Comments

• Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 936 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So what does that mean?
  • skier2788skier2788 Posts: 719 Crazy Baller
    Can you elaborate? I have heard whispers and rumors but I'm sure not the whole story .
    Travis Torley
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,226 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    WOW!
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • jayskijayski Posts: 702 Crazy Baller
    annnnnd BOS site traffic will now increase exponentially...
    skidawgwalleye
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,212 Mega Baller
    edited March 1
    Ugh. Of course, please keep in mind that this is still "alleged misconduct" and the restriction is temporary while investigation is pending.

But I actually just completed my own SafeSport training about a week ago, and one thing they teach is that false complaints against coaches are very rare.

Also, I bet many of you are wondering WTF SafeSport is. It's not about things like helmets and proper tackling. It's about things like bullying, harassment, hazing, and sexual abuse. For the most part it is focused on the coach-athlete relationship and the potential for abuse of power therein, but it does deal with athlete-athlete relationships to some extent as well.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    keithh2oskierklindyjipster43
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,189 Mega Baller
    Means he has a restriction from participation pending resolution.
    @MS Not really. I'm guessing you were aware of accusations previously, but the official "Decision Date" for this interim restriction is today. That is definitely news.
    Killerjipster43
  • gjohnsongjohnson Posts: 296 Baller
    I have to take SafeSport training to be a manager for my boys soccer team. This will make it more interesting. I've kind of been putting it off. @Than_Bogan how long did it take to complete the training?
    Greg Johnson ~ Team Beer
    @gjohnson It's three sessions, and each one is close to an hour. It's really, really good stuff to know, but it's rather unpleasant and was making me very angry at my fellow man some of the time, so I was mentally exhausted after each session and chose to space them out a little.
    Jody_SealvtmechengCollinSpradlinjipster43
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,101 Mega Baller
    Overall, there are 7 entries under water skiing compared to over 180 entries for gymnastics. Although 7 situations is 7 too many, as a sport, we are much better off than many others.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    skibug
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,317 Mega Baller
    @Kelvin I think it is safe to say that gymnastics is a bazillion times bigger than waterskiing.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    skibugozskiThan_BoganNando
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 936 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Is this ban for international? Meaning no Nate at Moomba?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 26,537 Administrator
    @Orlando76

Nate is not banned. Interim measure - restricted

The details of the sanction are extremely vague. see https://swimswam.com/digging-in-on-safesports-investigative-process-ban-terminology/

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• sunperchsunperch Posts: 216 Solid Baller
    So what is the interim measure that has been handed out? According to the article, either a resolution or interim measure must have been handed out for his name to be listed.
    walleye
    @sunperch after some study I think SafeSport might be intentionally obscure on some of this stuff.

• DangerBoyDangerBoy Posts: 238 Solid Baller
    edited March 2
    This is all so unfortunate for everyone concerned. :(

All I can say is that I hope the case was well and impartially edjudicated and whatever these "interim measures" that are being taken are, I hope they are just and fair to both Nate and the complainant(s).

Nobody wins in a situation like this. All you can hope for is that a fair judgement was made, the right things happen as a result and if mistakes or errors in judgement were made by anyone, that the people who made them learn what they need to and those mistakes or errors are never made again.
    I can take anything apart
    jpattigrRichardDoane
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,481 Mega Baller
    No judgment on Nate or his accuser but reading through the swim article seem like this system is really ripe for abuse. Once your name is on the Internet it's tarnished no matter what the investigation finds.
    parkerc2112
    edited March 2
    @scotchipman this post was created because there is no escaping the news.

The fact that SafeSport has placed Nate on "Interim measure - restricted” is the only possible discussion item about Nate that does not involve conjecture or rumor. Normally conjecture and rumor is entertaining forum conversation but in this case, the stakes are just too high.

ToddAwalleyeCooper_Trelawney
    edited March 2
    If anyone wants to read the official SafeSport terms click below for the PDF.

https://77media.blob.core.windows.net/uscss/1507075311160.glossary-of-terms.pdf

• WishWish Posts: 7,551 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited March 2
    Had never heard of this but asked my daughter if she had to take the courses being a Level II Olympic Archery Instructor. She said yes. Pretty serious stuff. I agree it can be abused. Basically told her to be very careful. She seemed keenly aware.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • slowslow Posts: 341 Solid Baller
    And what did he do?
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 662 Crazy Baller
    @scotchipman I totally agree, this is the same as the post last year about the tournament in Spain.
    skidawgKillerThan_BoganslowIlivetoski

DuncanMorgan
  • mrpreussmrpreuss Posts: 131 Baller
    edited March 3
    This sort of thing is a nightmare for a forum admin.

SafeSport says very little. As I have said before I think that is by design. The details are confidential. If I understand “the code” correctly, the violation(s) could be as small as “bullying by text message” or any number of possible infractions all the way up to things truly awful. SafeSport as already “restricted” Nate (whatever that means) so he is already being tried in the court of public opinion. It is vague but inescapable.

If the investigation results in him being sanctioned for “throwing his ski” but the court of public opinion convicts him of being the “harbinger of the apocalypse” that is certainly an injustice. We have to have faith that SafeSport knows what they are doing.

APBslalommcskier41Boatman