Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perfect Pass Z-Box Upgrade

rimodicorimodico Posts: 8 Baller
Bought a Star Glazer wake edition perfect pass system around 4 years ago for a Prostar 190 2001. I loved it ever since. I contacted the gentelmen at PP a couple of weeks ago as I became curious about a "z-box" upgrade to make the system similar to those high-end "zero-off" system most tournament ski boats use. Long story short, I installed it last night and used it for the first time this morning. It is AMAZING!!! timings for the course are excact same as specification. Big thanks to Gary, Mark and Carol from PerfectPass!
DanEWishjcampBill22sunvalleylaw

Comments

• Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,585 Crazy Baller
    I assume a boat from 2001 has a mechanical throttle? I have always wondered if Zbox works better on one or the other.
    In gear. Hit It. Thank You!
  • rimodicorimodico Posts: 8 Baller
    @bill22 it is mechanical indeed. I skied in the nautique 2019 last weekend. Timming-wise, you would not be able to tell the difference
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 251 Baller
    What is involved to install the upgrade? My buddy has an 03 Sunsetter with the wake edition.
    @Rednucleus it requires to open the lid at the control module, plug a usb-type in the mother board and bypass the gps antenna thru the z-box. 5minutes tops
    @Rednucleus a Zbox upgrade is on my list, just need to get back into ski shape so I can appreciate the difference.
    rimodico
  • skihartskihart Posts: 488 Solid Baller
    @Bill22 let me know.....I will bring it to Charleston 😉
    @skihard bring it and I won’t charge you for a ride to the airport. Fair trade?
  • mcskier41mcskier41 Posts: 60 Baller
    Z Box is wonderful. SO Much more forgiving to ski than Zero Off
    rimodico
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 927 Mega Baller
    It's a fantastic option for an older boat. The latest software with the self-calibration is totally amazing, too. It's not ZO but it's the next best thing for sure.
    rimodicoDeanoski
  • skihartskihart Posts: 488 Solid Baller
    @Bill22 hmmm tempting. Do they have Uber in Charleston?
    Bill22
  • WindsurfnutWindsurfnut Posts: 93 Baller
    Awesome to hear. I got one for Christmas for our 2002 Ski Nautique. Can't wait for the ice to go and try it out!
    rimodico
    @skihart you do have a point there. I’ll give you $250 for the used Zbox. But I forgot to tell you that your portion of the AirBnB cleaning fee is $249.

Back on topic, Zbox rocks for old boats (I guess, haven’t tried it yet).
    skihart
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,155 Mega Baller
    Z-Box does what I need it to. These are open water passes on different boats, but you can hear the engine working. One is a ZO Rev Q on B2 on a TT197. The other is a Stargazer V9 with ZBox, also on B2 on my Malibu Response. Been extremely pleased with SG v9. It locks in almost as fast as ZO. Even with the most hamfisted driver, it won't overshoot speed by more than 1.5 MPH before settling in.

Video behind 197 with ZO Rev Q on B2
    Video behind a mechanical throttle Response LX, SGv9 at B2
  • whitecapswhitecaps Posts: 32 Baller
    ZBox is great. Im afraid the whole " must have zero off movement" turned a lot of possible tournament participants into "I'm not interested, thank you". I love the ZBox
    jcamp
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 380 Baller
    Do you guys think this is a big improvment over the old 6.5NG ? i don't ski in the course, but I'm tempted to upgrade for cool factor.
    @ski_dad understanding and playing with the ABC x 123 options is enough entretaining despite not skiing the course, definetely ads to the cool factor :)
    @Ski_Dad version 9.0 is definitely worth the $ to upgrade. It really does lock in faster. I can’t comment on Zbox.
    Keith Menardrimodico
  • Keith MenardKeith Menard Posts: 537 Crazy Baller
    Version 9 is better in every way! I literally have version 9.0 and it is a lot better than my last version, my friends has version 9.2 or something and his numbers are dead on every time. PP being the awesome people they are is upgrading me when I get my boat back because I am having some slight issues at 28 & 32mph.
    rimodico
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 380 Baller
    6.5NG locks in quickly on my boat. I have a friends who also has a malibu with 8.5 and you have to be careful to not overshoot the throttle, if I back off as soon as he is up it locks in fine. Sounds like they have fixed that in 9.
    rimodico
  • Lieutenant DanLieutenant Dan Posts: 200 Baller
    I upgraded my 6.5NG last year to Star Gazer 9.12 and ZBOX. Works pretty well after some fiddling with the background settings. Even after a whole lot of trying the one ball times still seem to come in hot.

May be a bit off topic but I heard a rumor that there is a new version available that is a bit more responsive ie is closer yet to Zero Off. Can anyone confirm this?
  • MayhemMayhem Posts: 13 Baller
    I upgraded my boat recently to the stargazer/ z-boz. I have not had the boat in the water yet, but I will report back on the difference from the original(2002) equipment.
  • Keith MenardKeith Menard Posts: 537 Crazy Baller
    @Lieutenant Dan the latest seems to be version 9.20. I don't know any of the improvements though. Hope to be getting it next week.
  • skihardskihard Posts: 551 Crazy Baller
    @Bill22 I think you typed the wrong guy in your reply of "Bring it" :)
    2014 Carbon Pro, Radar Pro Build Lithium Vapor w/ Vapor Carbitex Boa Bindings - life's about working hard and then having fun on the water! I am - are you?
    @skihard yep, but that other guy is wishy washy so if you want to ski in Charleston first weekend in May I have a spare room. 😎
    skihart
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 637 Crazy Baller
    My brother has a set up so short that you pull out for the gates as the boat is getting on plane. That requires great throttle management to hit the speed correctly on his stargazer. Does the Z-box upgrade help with a short set up and hitting speed correctly?
  • skiboynyskiboyny Posts: 213 Baller
    z-box definitely tightens up the speed at all phases of the course. That said it doesn't make it into something it isn't. It not going to respond like ZO but it will help your situation. Make sure your throttle return spring is working the way it should if your using a servo. The servo does take a bit of extra time.
    BlueSki
  • Lieutenant DanLieutenant Dan Posts: 200 Baller
    @BlueSki The Key is to have a “Version 9” release of Stargazer. That version allows you to throttle up like they do with Zero Off (almost) and the system will dial back to the set speed much quicker than with earlier releases.
    BlueSkiBill22
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,155 Mega Baller
    @BlueSki Z-Box won't help with short setup, but as @Lieutenant Dan said, V9 helps, especially if you have a good throttle return spring and Kx set to ++. When I have my boat on ++, if I throttle up hard, the boat rips up to speed, then practically throws you against the windshield backing down if necessary.
    BlueSkiBill22
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 637 Crazy Baller
    Thanks all