Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for not going out the side?

jgills88jgills88 Posts: 13 Baller
edited April 10 in Trick and Jump
Hey y'all, I had a tournament this past weekend and decided to really push my jumping. I went out the side on both jumps (tournament was earn your third). When I crashed, my left shoulder hit the water first on both attempts, so I know that I did the same thing twice.

I dont have film, but I'll do my best to describe my set. I was jumping on a 5ft ramp and my boat path was Collegiate Wide. For timing on my single I waited for the boat nose to pass the front of the ramp, counted to 4, then went. I managed to hit the bottom right of the ramp and exit off of the top left. When I came off the top I was going out the side with no chance to kick.

My previous sets I've been working at slower speeds (opening at 28mph) at Collegiate split. On those I have had pretty good success cutting and kicking off the top of the ramp. Right now the biggest thing that I can think of is just more practice and water time, but I'd still love some advice.

If any of you have any advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,110 Mega Baller
    Hey listen from a longtime slalom skier....it's always..."wait later you panzy".
    Bruce_ButterfieldJody_Seal
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,627 Administrator
    @jgills88 I strongly discourage anyone to jump if they do not practice with people that know what they are doing. The mechanics of jump are simpler than slalom and trick but you need a good set of eyes on you of you want to be safe and go far.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

9400mnewthjgills88Broussard
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,436 Mega Baller
    OK, I think I've waited long enough and now I can give you the correct advice:

Stop jumping. That is just silly.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Rednucleus
  • BainessterBainesster Posts: 16 Baller
    edited April 11
    sounds like you are likely dropping your shoulder, in a sort of slalom style lean, focus on keeping your shoulders level and square
  • Cooper_TrelawneyCooper_Trelawney Posts: 94 Baller
    @jgills88 listen to @Horton . He was a pretty badass jumper back in the day. Must of had someone watching him that knew something. There's no other explanation!
  • jgills88jgills88 Posts: 13 Baller
    @Horton thanks for the safety advice! I do have solid jump coaches (PBs in the low 140s) I was just looking for some advice for what to think about as I go into my next set in the coming weeks
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,281 Mega Baller
    @jgills88 Good advice to get coaching advice from solid jumpers.

Some simple advice that won't get you into trouble is to make your cut more gradual. Like @Bainesster mentioned it sounds like your trying to hammer the cut into the jump and dropping your shoulder. Think about body position and edge progressively harder into the ramp.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,957 Mega Baller
    I was going to comment but when I saw you are going 140 you likely know way more about jump than I do. Stay safe and have fun.
    Mark Shaffer
    @Chef23 Mark he said his coaches jump 140.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    @klindy thanks I need to work on my reading.
    Mark Shaffer
    @Chef23 No problem. But I would say that going 140+ on a single wake jump using a collegiate split off a 5' ramp would be quite impressive!
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • jgills88jgills88 Posts: 13 Baller
    @jimbrake i think that you are absolutely right that i had way too much pressure edging through my left ski and cutting through my shoulders. My coaches didn't get a chance to see this particular set, and i havent had many OTS falls since i started cutting. Most of my crashes have been me landing square and not being prepared for the slack to catch me. I'll be sure to ask them to be on the lookout for my next set to see if i continue this pattern

Thanks for the advice for cutting through my hips! I'll be sure to think about that when i can get on the water next
    @jgillis make sure you aren’t leaning on the rope like you do on a slalom ski. It is a very different pull than a slalom ski. I don’t jump but have listened to my son get some very good coaching and this is a habit he had to learn to break.
    Mark Shaffer
    jgills88
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,296 Mega Baller
    @Chef23 - that's a good way to say what I was trying to convey. Don't "lean on the rope" with the upper body, but do take load into the ramp on the right ski via the hips.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    jgills88