3-4 thoughts?

When I play golf I have a single swing thought when I start my swing. Any more than one thought and I over think the swing. I was trying to think of a single thought for each phase of the course. For the pullout to the entry gate I try think about breaking free, For the pull, I try think about having "loose" arms in order to pull with my body. Anybody else use and have some single thoughts they want to share?

Comments

• lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,404 Mega Baller
    When I start skiing poorly, my single thought is to not think about anything and just ski. Really. It works.

A really good snow ski coach once told me to think of positive affirmations when I compete.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 709 Crazy Baller
    I focus first on the gate pullout and the turn in.
    In the course I focus on move the inner hand up.
    I normally forget to focus...

When my slalom is crappy I change to trick.
    Hmmm why do I trick so often??šŸ¤”šŸ¤”
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,547 Mega Baller
    Going around buoys has always been a challenge for me. When the set becomes a frustrating mess I just speed the boat up to 35 mph pull out to the right and free ski! the smile comes right back in my face. I get a workout and can concentrate on whatever is causing my in course issues, usually it is my off side turn, I forget how to do it!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

mnewth
  • skialexskialex Posts: 798 Crazy Baller
    Iā€™m usually thinking of being tall and square and carrying speed before my turn in. If I ski poorly my opener then I think of squeezing my abs behind the boat and exiting the second wake to keep my connection. Usually these are enough. This keeps my thinking mostly free for when things go south, then usually overthinking and trying to run the pass by working my stance and not repeating the same mistake
    ToddA
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,211 Mega Baller
    Any time I'm struggling, I have to go back to the thought of staying connected. So much energy is lost so fast once the handle gets away from the body. This one thought helps guide me both to pull better and harder and to move up with the boat after the second wake.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Zman
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,178 Mega Baller
    @lpskier some of my best passes have been on public water courses where we had really long set up/set down just based on boat traffic or other people. You get to almost having a song playing in your head by the time you get to the gates. And then when you exit the other end you have water to play with.

Going to a new private site where you have to know where to be to drop at the end, where you need to be as you come around the island, what not to hit when you pull out. - Worse sets for me.
  • HighAltitudeHighAltitude Posts: 124 Baller
    I took a lesson with Chris Parrish last year and I thought he used that term. Based on your comments I'm pretty sure that I misinterpreted what he said even if he actually used that term (which now I'm not sure). I do know he wanted me to stop using my arms to pull and get my body more engaged with straight arms. When I did that I was skiing a lot better. I was skiing 15 off at 32 MPH at the time.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,786 Mega Baller
    I think 3-4 thoughts is too many. I think you can have one at the gate then one through the course. Personally I like @Than_Bogan's idea of staying connected.
    Mark Shaffer
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 829 Crazy Baller
    Thoughts foster aphantasia; stop thinking when the ski is under your feet.

Visualize everything without looking; the entire course, stance, stack, arm/handle position...

All objectives, one visualization; ski in the moment.
    gsm_peterLuzz
  • LobonatorLobonator Posts: 52 Baller
    I seem to always ski best when I'm the most relaxed and am not thinking about a million things to fix throughout my pass.

Oddly enough, my best day on the course last summer was after having a couple cold ones on the dock after work before catching a tow!
    customski
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,178 Mega Baller
    @HighAltitude there is a lot of specificity of what a coach will say to try to get something across to a particular skier and should not be considered gospel to all other skiers in all other conditions.

I made that mistake in regards to being "open to the boat" and had coaching to hide the shoulder. I don't think everyone should be told to hide their shoulder.

• RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 148 Baller
    I'm a dork - I thought you were asking what do you think about when going from 3 to 4 ball ...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file