Rope twist

lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,405 Mega Baller
edited May 12 in Other Stuff
When I fall, my rope twists as it’s pulled behind the boat. My rope ALWAYS twists counter-clockwise. I know this because I always totate my handle clockwise to get the twists out. Why is this?
John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly

Comments

• lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,405 Mega Baller
    That was my next question.
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,029 Crazy Baller
    Read somewhere that to untwist it you put the handle end on the pylon and drive the boat around.
    Any truth?
    igkyaISP6ballCent
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 504 Crazy Baller
    Do you have the masterline handle with the protectors to keep the Goode skis from cutting it? Mine with that handle acts like a prop and takes around 50 spins when I go down.
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 340 Solid Baller
    I've solved this (mostly) by every time I set down at either end I always rotate the handle 2-3-4 times. If you do it each time it seems to help.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
  • SkiItUpSkiItUp Posts: 22 Baller
    Mine does the same thing. I think its from the wear on the handle, it creates a bevel that turns it into a "prop". Putting the handle on the pylon and dragging the rope does get most of it out.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,787 Mega Baller
    Could it be because the way the prop turns influences the path of water behind the boat?
    Mark Shaffer
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 567 Crazy Baller
    @Andre is correct, just loop the handle over the pylon and let the remainder of the rope untwist behind the boat as you idle forward for a few minutes. Doesn't happen nearly as much once I changed to InTow ropes.
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 33 Baller
    @lpskier Stop falling. 🙂
    jimskiRednucleusDragolpskier
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 709 Crazy Baller
    Now I get it!
    The twist in the rope force my arm down in my difficult turn😋
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 510 Solid Baller
    It twist counter clockwise because of the rotation of the prop. Which turns the water that direction. Every boat has left hand rotation other then nautique.
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 510 Solid Baller
    @Onside135 This is true.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,189 Mega Baller
    I suspect the mainlines are all rope that has the same lay or rope twist. When the handle catches it probably stretches and then unloads and flips the one direction.
    My handle is new this winter with no wear. It’s a Masterline but it’s not plastic coated. It has the three inch finger protectors. It is a radius handle. Next time I ski I’ll use a straight handle but I bet I get the same result. I’ll also try Nautique. My counter-clockwise twisting rope occurs behind an MC. And I have the “getting the twists out” part figured out. It’s the “how do they get there in the first place always in the same direction” part I’m not sure of.

Also, I am using the new ML rope. Can’t say I got all these twists with any other rope I’ve used. I’m anal and certainly would have noticed at least once in the last 50 years of skiing. Some, but never like this.
  • WebWeb Posts: 78 Baller
    How do you store the rope? Don't know if it helps but when I coil the rope after a set I make sure it is not twisted, then hang it. If its gotta lay around in the boat for a while, I'll untwist and coil again when it is out of the boat.
    edited May 13
    I fold it, tie it and hang it. I get all the twists out while I fold it.
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 454 Crazy Baller
    What is the negatives to having a rope that is twisted?

I am sure mine is because I fall a lot but just never noticed
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,787 Mega Baller
    @keithh2oskier twisted ropes have less give and are a tiny bit shorter. They can be harder on your elbows and body.
    Mark Shaffer
    keithh2oskier
  • ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 774 Crazy Baller
    Do they twist a certain way because the boat always turns in the same direction to pick you up?
    Anthony Warren
  • MSMS Posts: 5,028 Mega Baller
    @lpskier you need to get s US Gear handle it floats and stays steady
    Shut up and ski
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 454 Crazy Baller
    @Chef23 thats the reason I am always so narrow. Will make sure I untwist it right away.
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 504 Crazy Baller
    I am certain it is the handle. My daughters rope never twists. If I put my handle on her rope it also twists like crazy. Everything else is the same.
  • bf`bf` Posts: 127 Baller
    I have a couple of observations on this:

1. I believe a handle twists depending on how it's strung. I have a couple of handles where there is a noticeable off-center twist where the yoke is spliced.
    2. I use a handle protector, and mine doesn't twist because it planes behind the boat.

Also (ok, three observations), I do not like staring down a twisted rope to the boat while waiting to start. It messes with my ocd nature.
  • evolskievolski Posts: 62 Baller
    Guys, you're missing it - it depends if your right foot forward or left foot forward on which way the rope twist. I'm right foot forward and my wife is left foot forward and they twist opposite directions.

Kidding, this thread was such a tangent had to add.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 961 Mega Baller
    I only seem to notice rope twist if I let a lefty coil it up at the end of the day.