Is this 1990 sunsetter overpriced?

Im in the market for a sub 15k ski boat direct drive. Saw this nicely kept boat but im not sure if its worth the money. What are your thoughts? Also open to other open bows
craigslist post:
https://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/6908763305.html

Comments

• LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 447 Crazy Baller
    one owner boat and looks pretty good for its age. but still over priced. i wouldn't pay over $8k
    DOJOLOACHswc51506ballsjjackkrash
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 747 Mega Baller
    @DOJOLOACH You can get a 91-94 Mastercraft ProStar 205 for well under 15k and it will be a MUCH better ski boat than that vintage of Malibu but still have a walk through open bow. 94 is the first year of fuel injection so you may want to look for that.
    MISkier6ballsMick04
  • DOJOLOACHDOJOLOACH Posts: 7
    Thanks for the replies. So its the 205 model that has the open bow, i had only seen 190 closed bow models thus far. Im definitely looking for a less than perfect boat so i do not need an overpriced perfect interior
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,437 Mega Baller
    @DOJOLOACH, the 205 is open bow. I previously owned a 2000 and frequently ski behind a 1995. Both good boats. The 1995 also has the 1991-1994 hull, which is very good for slalom.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    DOJOLOACH
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 332 Baller
    it's overpriced. Should be 8-10k depending on condition IMHO. You might want to avoid that one b/c I think it has wood stringers. Plus it won't ski as well as the 94 Prostar mentioned or a newer Sunsetter. If you could get a 99 or 2000 sunsetter LXI you would have a great ski boat and it would do just fine when the water is a little rough. I'm surprise how well mine does on a bad day.

There is a 96 Sunsetter in my area that is 15k and I'm sure they would take a little less. I'm not sure how this era skis but it's an example. https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/d/canton-malibu-sunsetter-ski-boat/6897635190.html
    6ballsDOJOLOACHMick04
    How about sport nautiques? I may go check this one out since it is a couple miles away.
    I spoke with the malibu owner today, he has not replaced the wood stringers however he did have a new wood deck put in 3 years ago, a new motor 6 years ago due to bad winterization. He ended up coming down to 10k just by asking him if he was flexible.

I think I may actually like the malibu hull since it is more of a compromise for wakeboarding too... How much money have you guys seen stringer replacement cost on a 20' boat? I bet I could talk him down closer to 8k
  • GarGar Posts: 305 Baller
    Don’t buy that one.
    Mick04AndreMISkier
    Just based on the wood construction? and Now he confirmed the wood stringers were replaced 3 years ago. I doubt I own the boat more than 3 years before upgrading
    Get a newer one with EFI and no wood.
    MISkier
    I'll take your guys advice and pass on the wood construction, at somepoint some owner has to bite it and pay for new stringers. I'd like to buy a boat asap so I'm opening up my options to other boats, any recommendations to look at? RIght now there is a centurion t5, 98 malibu sportster, 92 sport nautique (rougher shape), 2000 tige 21i all within a couple hours from me.

Next weekend I'm taking Friday off to travel around and come home with a boat lol, i will knit pick any boat and talk myself out of buying it for some reason or another
  • Onside135Onside135 Posts: 407 Crazy Baller
    I used to ski behind a late 90s Sportster. Pretty decent slalom tug. Slightly harder wake than the same era MC or Nautique, but a good fun boat with a great footin’ wake.
    SIA47508 check that one out 13.5
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,991 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Sportster is a tiny boat compared to a MC 205 or a 'Bu Sunsetter.
    Agree with most above a MC 205 for you if you need walk thru open bow. No wood and EFI if recent enough.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    MISkier
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 496 Crazy Baller
    2000 Malibu Response LX 2016 66 lithium vapor
    MISkierDOJOLOACH
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,437 Mega Baller
    That 99 Response LX would be a great boat for slalom, possibly barefoot as well. That would be on my short list, along with a 95 Prostar 205.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    Awesome thanks for the links. Although one of those seems to be misposted to greenville instead of VA. Ill have to call him to find out why. Looks like all of those malibu s are worth 3-4k less than the posted price though. Id like to go look at the 3x malibus for sure.

Also a 2000 tige 21i and centurion t5 in Raleigh nc, ive got to do some research on.