Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

double boot set up for 8yo

LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 533 Crazy Baller
my son hates the binding set up on his combo set single .
struggling to get up and blames the adjustable front/ rtp set up. he can get up on his wakeboard no problem and cruise around. wake board has much nicer binidngs that are on that combo sets single. does anyone make really small double boot setup? also is this setup potentially dangerous for an 8 year old that is learning? likely mental he's just used to a much more of a custom-fit that he gets from the wakeboard bindings.

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 27,605 Administrator
    edited July 6
    Generally speaking I just wouldn't put an 8 year old in significant restrictive double boots. Maybe a wileys
    Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

ozskiWaterSkier12
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 610 Crazy Baller
    Getting up on a wakeboard is different from a ski. While I could be completely off having not seen him, it's likely his form and not the bindings. I learned to get up on a crappy combo ski with a crappy rubber front and RTP that put your feet right on the ski. Not getting up was always operator error for me.
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 533 Crazy Baller
    edited July 6
    not the bindings, more of a confidence issue. going from nice fitted boots to flimsy adjustable .
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 260 Baller
    Look for xs Wiley’s or similar.
    Tell him to stay in a little ball and push on the front foot and count to 10 before he stands up.
    Wakeboard May be allowing him to stand up too soon. Can’t do that on a ski, especially your first 20 times....
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 257 Baller
    Maybe turn his wake board bindings to better emulate the ski stance and practice on that 1st to build confidence??
  • InthedayIntheday Posts: 140 Baller
    No to the double binding. Plenty of small bindings around that you could use for the front binding though buying new will likely cost more than your combo skis.
  • ReallyGottaSkiReallyGottaSki Posts: 63 Baller
    My personal experience is he would be better off on a $30 35 yo 65" jobe honeycomb than a combo slat
    Than_BoganTheBigHead
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 533 Crazy Baller
    wish they made a 55" senate alloy with xxs bindings
  • skialexskialex Posts: 884 Crazy Baller
    A 3-6 size vector or HO freemax Front and a xs RTP, fixed rubber loop like Wiley’s or d3, or HO, not the laced ones that look like a flip flop.
  • drewski32drewski32 Posts: 217 Baller
    A decent front binding is one thing, but a toe plate likely isn't what makes him feel uncomfortable in deep water start
  • JibboJibbo Posts: 132 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Just picked up a junior Obrien Siege for my 9 yr old nephew and he loves it. Only just getting up on one before hand, again because of average bindings on a combo set. The junior Siege has super comfortable bindings with plenty of adjustment. You could barely buy 1 good binding for this price:. Now hes tearing it up and loves it.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,699 Mega Baller
    It's how narrow his foot is. We used to cut the toe of a horseshoe and re screw it narrower

Keep w rtp but narrow the front bindings
  • ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 801 Crazy Baller
    Just go Wiley front and RTP on a used slalom ski. Simple, proven, effective.
    Anthony Warren
    Chef23ReallyGottaSki
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,954 Mega Baller
    I may have some small bindings I could send to you. I will be home tomorrow and can look in my basement. I would send them for the cost of shipping. My kids are 20 and 21 and have obviously outgrown them.
    Mark Shaffer
    Jordan
  • HallpassHallpass Posts: 148 Solid Baller
    FWIW, I was at a youth development camp last week with my daughter and asked the coach (you know, highly ranked skier and coach, as probably the case at all good youth development camps) and he said stay with rear toe plate. In fact, he said if he was starting over again, he would never have gone to double boots.
    Bruce_ButterfieldWaterSkier12