2020 MasterCraft ProStar - sneak peek

HortonHorton Posts: 26,946 Administrator
edited July 8 in Boat Talk

“MasterCraft has spent 3 years working with Ilmor developing and refining the new Gen 5 six liter, and we couldn’t be more excited about its release as the standard motor in the 2020 ProStar. Throughout the validation process we saw performance gains that absolutely raised the bar for the slalom pull as well as an unbelievable jump and trick pull. This marriage of motor and machine has brought the ProStar to a performance level that will continue to clarify why the ProStar is the the best skiing, best performing ski boat on the market.” Freddy Krueger

"I've been training with the 6.0 since last year. It's led to my most successful start to year the since I started in Pro skiing. The engine is strong where you need, responsive but crucially not overly aggressive in the wrong places." Freddie Winter

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

lakeho26bojansWaterSkier12vtjcDacon62ryno65JordanMISkierballsohardMikeEljaybeeBulldog

Comments

• skimtbskimtb Posts: 202 Baller
    Good call. I spy orange.
  • ScotChipman1ScotChipman1 Posts: 45 Baller
    Is this new engine next generation like the 5.3 (H5) and 6.2 (H6) or old technology like the current 6.0 that you can get in a Malibu or Nautique?
    ⇨ President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    ⇨ Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    ⇨ My Instagram page, Facebook page
  • Keith MenardKeith Menard Posts: 490 Crazy Baller
    @ScotChipman1 I was wondering the same thing...the 6.0 I have in my 04 Denali was an AWESOME engine...but the 6.2 I have in my new Denali is head and shoulders above it.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,064 Mega Baller
    edited July 9
    GM L96 6.0L is sequential fuel injection and iron block. H5 and H6 are direct injected and aluminum blocks.

Ilmor also has 5.3 and 6.2L engines. Not sure if those are optional in the Prostar as they're lighter by a good bit.

Still though, 6.0L as a base engine replacing the old 5.7 is nice.
    bishop8950
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 415 Crazy Baller
    I had the pleasure of skiing behind a 2020 Prostar last week at Peace, Love, and Waterskiing with Corey Vaughn. He has a shorter setup on one side and the engine got me up and to speed in plenty of time. Even I noticed how nice it skied and I'm a crap skier. At long line 30 mph I hardly noticed there was a wake. Also, my wife was in the boat and made a couple comments about how nice it is.
    bf`
  • HortonHorton Posts: 26,946 Administrator
    @ScotChipman1 GM GEN 5

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• ScotChipman1ScotChipman1 Posts: 45 Baller
    So direct injected and aluminum blocks? If so that will be a sweet engine!
    ⇨ President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    ⇨ Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    ⇨ My Instagram page, Facebook page
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,184 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    The 1,000 hour warranty is nice too.
    Scott Calderwood
    MuskokaKyKeith Menard
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,064 Mega Baller
    edited July 9
    something seems off. GM Gen 5 are only 5.3L and 6.2L. There's also supposedly a 6.6L for 2020.

From what I can find, GM has never produced a Gen 5 6.0L engine.

LINK
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,538 Crazy Baller
    edited July 9
    @Horton - Does this engine idle instantly like the other two boats (MB and CC)? The one thing that sometimes annoys me with my ProStar is waiting for the engine to idle down on initial start-up. Still love my (16) ProStar!

Edited to add: Okay, watched the video, idles down faster than my current boat at least...
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    dvskier
    Gentleman the engine was officially announced today. I read lots of questions I don't know how to answer. At this point you guys know as much as I do.

Tkl127
  • SkiSamSkiSam Posts: 10 New Baller
    @Horton The boat definitely looks nice, can't wait to see what you think of it.
    @Roger I think the quick idle is just because it was warmed up already from running it around the lake. Still idles pretty quickly from cold though in my somewhat limited experience.
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 907 Crazy Baller
    2020 is sounding like a really nice year for a new boat.
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • jayskijayski Posts: 729 Crazy Baller
    Be interesting to see where the price falls now with the 6L in it, has to create a fair bump.
  • SkiSamSkiSam Posts: 10 New Baller
    As long as it's well clear of a Nautique :lol:
    WaterSkier12Bill22
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 573 Crazy Baller
    Nice -- 2 years of rumors finally materialized. That's a beautiful looking engine. So different than the PCM unit. Welcome to the 6L standard MC!
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 225 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    How differently from PCM? Still a GM long block, electronics and fuel system.

SkiwoodgateCalisdad57Bulldog
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 573 Crazy Baller
    @JackQ sorry I am not an engineer. Perhaps it's just the color. Or Shape of the manifolds-down pipes and lack of plastic branded covers?? @Horton Is there a published HP yet?
    edited July 10
    So nice to see the raw water impeller moved to an easy change out spot!
    @RAWSki HP= 373 Torque FT-LB= 407
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    RAWSkiCalisdad57
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,574 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Is the hull the same? I am wondering what the suface area is on it, especially compared to the other boats.
    Why a 6.0? It was the best engine in the 200.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 225 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I realize that the ancillaries (alternator, raw water pump, exhaust manifolds, etc) are different but typically at the end of the day the differences between marinizers or is it marinizors, beyond ancillaries is minimal.
  • GarGar Posts: 310 Baller
    Looks like a great design easy to access a lot of things but is that a brace on the raw water pump if so looks like it needs some more meat.
    @dirt the hull unchanged. I know of no other changes besides under the engine box.

walleye
  • DangerBoyDangerBoy Posts: 260 Solid Baller
    @UWSkier Is it possible they may be using one of those other blocks like the 6.2 and just stroking it a little differently to get the 6.0 displacement rating? Have a look at the bore dimensions on the 6.2:L Gen 5 engine and on the Ilmor 6.0 L and see how they compare. It would cost way too much to build a different block for this application so methinks they're probably using an existing block and stroking it a little differently to get the different displacement number. 0.2 L is only about 12 cu in so spread out over 8 cylinders you don't have to decrease the stroke distance all that much to get a 6.2 L down to 6.0. Maybe others could chime in here. Does that sound plausible?
    I can take anything apart
    mwfillmore