Malibu French Open webcast

AndreAndre Posts: 1,106 Crazy Baller
robmollysilverlake

Comments

• AndreAndre Posts: 1,106 Crazy Baller
    Freddie 4.5 @41 really looked like he was gonna run it!
    LanceHCook
  • TrickyTomTrickyTom Posts: 13 Baller
    Looked like he was gonna run it, but he crashed very hard in the second round at [email protected]
  • TonyLightfootTonyLightfoot Posts: 43 Baller
    He's got some swelling on his left arm but should be good-to-go for Thursday. Gnarly crash though.
    Great job again @TonyLightfoot !!!
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,064 Mega Baller
    That was a crazy knot on @FWinter forearm after that crash. Going to be stiff as hell for the next few days I'm sure. Unreal skiing though!
    edited July 11
    Bump!
    Pros are on.
    MuskokaKy
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,573 Crazy Baller

In gear. Hit It. Thank You!
  • MuskokaKyMuskokaKy Posts: 286 Baller
    that was the cleanest 41 I have ever seen!!!! ( Will Asher)
    @Bill22 SPOILER ALERT!!!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 26,946 Administrator
    edited July 11
    I wonder of the event organizers knew that the webcast would show the boat video in slow motion. You can see the boat paths reasonably well. Looking back from the boat does not show the path nearly as well as end coarse but it is an indicator.

Before anyone loses their $H*t at me - Go back and watch the replay.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

@UWSkier sorry! If you didn’t want to know, you shouldn’t be reading BOS unit after you watch it.
    edited July 11
    @Bill22 no worries. Came to this thread for link.
    @Horton yeah... Use the little gear icon in the lower right corner to slow playback to .25 speed and...

I will say though that looking at propwash probably isn't the best indicator as that should always look a little wavy as the boat is pulled over from side to side and the thrust is adjusted to compensate. Could make it look way worse than it is.
    DanE
    While we’re talking spoilers. Watching Pigozzi take down TGas... PRICELESS!
    edited July 11

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• JayproJaypro Posts: 247 Solid Baller
    @Horton for reference, could you post the same view from a proper pull? That looks terrible!
  • ricorico Posts: 122 Baller
    @Horton I am no pro driver but I imagine that at 41 the driver has to point the nose of the boat away from the skier. The wake spray will look like it's not straight but the pylon may still be in the center.
    Eric Francois - Studio City, CA - 2018 Vapor Pro Build - Reflex Super /R Style
  • ricorico Posts: 122 Baller
    Also I don't think you can tell the boat path from the boat view. only end course video is really a good point of view, unless the boat start taking guides buoys off of course :-)
    Eric Francois - Studio City, CA - 2018 Vapor Pro Build - Reflex Super /R Style
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,839 Mega Baller
    That looks like a beautiful site.
    Mark Shaffer
    DaveD
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,773 Mega Baller
    Spectacular event and broadcast, and wow just wow final for Asher. Nice way to spend the morning - cooking breakfast with the Tour de France on Tv and the French Malibu Open on the iPad.
  • DanEDanE Posts: 863 Crazy Baller
    edited July 11
  • skigosfieldskigosfield Posts: 2 New Baller
    Hi guys the boat driving looks pretty spot on. I’m not sure if they had the real time end course with live measurement buoy by buoy monitored constantly by a senior judge, we used in Italy at the week end, The boat is moving away from the current turn to compensate the skier. It’s also a Malibu boat which has a counter clockwise rotating prop and sends it rooster more down the left of the course when you compensate hard. I think you would be amazed what goes on in the boat 😉
    .. it ant big dawg😂😘
    DanE
    check out the overhead drone cam on the Denali homepage to see how propwash makes it look like the pull is being soft-sided. The boat pivots and the prop wash moves but the pylon stays pretty well centered. There's one correction mid-course in that vid that's pretty substantial but the rest of it seems close to centered.

https://www.denaliskis.com/
    TheBigHead
  • Not_The_PugNot_The_Pug Posts: 575 Solid Baller
    Only way to tell on a straight boat path is to watch the pylon from the end course video. The prop wash shouldn't be straight if you are staying in sync with the skier while the pylon is in the center. We were having a discussion about this with a new driver over the weekend.
    @Not_The_Pug I 100% agree that prop wash is not a conclusive way to judge boat path. I'm just saying this video does contains some interesting prop wash.

• ZmanZman Posts: 1,404 Crazy Baller
    edited July 12
    We all know prop wash is just one indicator of boat path. The pylon is what counts.
    But, I took some looks at my boat path this afternoon in the mirror, only pulling 32 off at 34 mph.
    Even when I felt I might be off a little, I never saw the prop wash ever come any closer than 1 foot from the boat guides on either side. And, I drive a Malibu too.
    To have the boat guides buried in prop wash is "interesting".
    But, I am more curious what some of the top drivers think. Means much more than what I think.
    aupatking
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 194 Baller
    As a top driver and a Malibu guy I'm curious what @Chad_Scott thinks.
    Zman
    @matthewbrown Agree. Maybe a couple of us were being too PC.
    But, my main point was prop wash shouldn't be hugging boat guides, especially not hugging the boat guides on same side as the skier. IMHO
    At our lake today, I was seeing about a foot of "clean water" between the prop wash and boat guides on both sides.
    I am not a tournament driver, but I do strive for a good line, and to slightly pick up the skier out of the turns.
    matthewbrownballsohard
    As a good comparison, watch the boat video for Regina's new pending world record.
    The prop wash never touches a boat guide.
    gsm_peter