Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you prefer the new optimized slalom rope?

ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 968 Mega Baller
I've heard mixed reviews from people about the new rope. Which do you prefer?
Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas

Do you prefer the new optimized slalom rope? 130 votes

Prefer optimized rope (weigh less than 180#)
9%
PSMMattPdave2ballBulldograynMISkierjerrymkidderskierScottScottS1PittsC5QuestJaredSmith 12 votes
Prefer standard rope (weigh less than 180#)
9%
jrs9400santangelounksskisdvskiingDavidPThe_MSskihartJibbonleuthShakeskiAU_Skier 12 votes
Don't care (weigh less than 180#)
20%
skiep[Deleted User]smilinjimMrs_MSsunperchPat MMickeyThompsonZmanbkreisMoskier3evschaferbikesrusMattLJWebSkiNameUnavailableGWaterskiTELBainessterIronR1robmollysilverlake 27 votes
Prefer optimized rope (weigh 180# or more)
13%
drewKelvinEd_JohnsonskiinxsgregMarkTimmjayskiDacon62VONMANbuoyboy1addkerrMurrskiMarkMsupergadgetELDIABLOjskierghutchSwerve200 18 votes
Prefer standard rope (weigh 180# or more)
17%
waterskicoreyBruce_ButterfieldadamhcaldwellAdamCordGarnbrodylpskierjstaab3bigtex2011savaiusiniFWinterkylehortonGolfguyLuzzBrewskiSkirvindOrlando76LLUSAIcebergmanSkico 23 votes
Don't care (weigh 180# or more)
29%
Hortonthagerski6jonesskibugRogerdislandbhsGMCJohn BrooksSteven_HainesKillerjimbrakeToddLgreghayesJody_SealralJordanNot_The_PugJackQskier2788 38 votes

Comments

• MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,551 Mega Baller
    My opinion is that the optimized rope is far better than the previous black rope.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 196 Solid Baller
    Without a doubt the Intow loops are easier to use and the colored sections are great.
    ballsohard
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,819 Mega Baller
    The optimized rope is harder to see from the shore as to the current loop the skier is on. That is for sure!

I skied it for the 1st time at SCR Regionals - couldn't feel too much different. Just a tad "softer" as the boat came on. I heard some 38 off & better skiers commenting with mixed reactions.

I would assume that a skier who has perfected a style of relying upon instant support from the boat at the finish of the turn might not like this new rope.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    WaterSkier12
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,474 Crazy Baller
    But, leaning toward "Prefer standard rope" because at my opener (22 off) at tournaments these ropes have felt like bungy cord. Soft is one thing, but waiting for the stretch to come out is another.
    Not so bad by the time I get to green or (sometimes) blue.
    I like ML products. So, hopefully this will improve.
  • S1PittsS1Pitts Posts: 175 Baller
    Compared to what I used in the past I really like what it feels like especially as the rope shortens.
  • sunperchsunperch Posts: 230 Solid Baller
    edited July 31
    I don't care which rope I ski with - have had 2 tournaments with the new rope and did not notice it. What I do hate is I cannot tell what line length others are skiing at from the shore. Makes watching slalom boring!!! We usually ski with an In-tow rope from Brenda, just ordered a new one.
    APB
  • BuxrusBuxrus Posts: 21 Baller
    I purchased one based on the hype that was generated regarding the new rope. can't really tell a difference with any other rope I've used in the past. The major negative with this rope is it gets twisted easily. one fall and I notice the rope is significantly twisted as it comes back to me. after every set, i have to untwist the entire rope. not experienced this with previous ropes, which were intow ropes.
  • raynrayn Posts: 382 Baller
    I do not notice much difference skiing with the new rope. I do notice my body feels better and less beat up after a two set practice set.
    Ray Newmark -
    ScottScottISP6ball
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 688 Crazy Baller
    edited August 1
    Prefer optimized rope (weigh 180# or more)
    @Buxrus both me and one of my ski partners have an Optimized Rope. His twists up mine doesn’t.
    I have the Fluid Motion webbing in the V of the handle, he doesn’t.
    I think the prop wash spins his while mine stays flat and doesn’t twist.
    Brewski
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 593 Crazy Baller
    edited August 1
    @Buxrus the prop wash is the culprit for the rope twisting. Weather it’s an in tow Masterline or HO ect all ropes are going to twist the same. The only thing that will help prevent twisting is to idle back to the fallen skier. Will handle guards prevent twisting this not quite sure.
    @Dacon62 thanks for the reminder. I just got a new ML handle and I have not added my handle guard. I will add it tonight and report back.
    @ Dave2ball. I have had all the different ropes in the past, for some reason this one twist. because I am on my own lake and have plenty of time, we always idle back to skier, no power turns. not sure why this one twist, and when all is said and done its first world skier problems. my incentive not to fall.
    thanks guys for input. appreciate.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 968 Mega Baller
    Rope twist is only important to your OCD. Less than 40 turns correlates to less than 1" shorting.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    Buxrusjayskiballsohard
    @ski6jones. LOL. you called it!! for me....it "looks" bad. my other "thought" about the twist is it could take some of the "give" out of the rope.
    I'm not hating on the rope, just my observation that this one twist more than others I have had in past.
    ski6jonesballsohard
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,222 Crazy Baller
    I need every inches...
    ballsohard
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 793 Crazy Baller
    @ski6jones I guess I am ocd as I have become the official rope unwinder at the tourneys I ski in most drivers know I am going to unwind it when it gets tight!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,225 Mega Baller
    Prefer standard rope (weigh less than 180#)
    Buys a few more seconds at the end of the lake
    Shut up and ski
    thager
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,548 Mega Baller
    Boing....boing....boing!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,819 Mega Baller
    @Andre - "that's what..." yeah I almost went there.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,222 Crazy Baller
    @Toddl ,Yep,that's what she said too! :)
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 737 Crazy Baller
    Funny thing I noticed the other day. I don't think my new rope twist as much as my last Masterline. About the colors and not being able to see the line length from shore, most of the time there is a shock tube in the way. Other then that, my elbows do seem to have less pain. I've heard the real test is when you go back to the old rope.
    I have a brand new never used still in the zip ties last year Masterline rope for sale if anyone is interested? $75 you pay shipping.
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 793 Crazy Baller
    At 22 into 35 and being light on the line NOT, my new ML rope is not streachy!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,551 Mega Baller
    I thought the black ropes were far more spongy than the optimized. I also thought it skied like the InTow ropes I’ve had and the rope made by our local guy here. I didn’t need any time at all to adjust to it.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    @Dacon62 You called it. Put my FM handle guard on, twist problem went away. Thanks again for reminder.
    Brewski