Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2020 VAPOR

ROBOTROBOT Posts: 135 Administrator
edited August 1 in Skis Fins Bindings

Vapor2020

The Vapor name has become synonymous with balance and speed. As we moved to our 2020 shape, we simply wanted to build on the foundation we had created. The overall width of the ski has been decreased in an effort to create more efficient water flow and allow the ski to have a more level ride. Rocker was modified to increase the drive behind the boat and allow the ski to create more angle before the buoy. Lastly, we increased the concave and let it run through the tail of the ski to give more support and consistency at the apex of the turn. All these simple changes allowed us to build a ski that is faster than its predecessor, has more automatic turns, and gives a truly consistent ride from turn to turn. You have to ski this thing, welcome to 2020 Vapor.

Shape:
The overall max width of the ski was reduced slightly for 2020. The width reduction in the area forward of your front foot allows the ski tip to ride lower while on plane. This gives the ski a more level riding attack angle which makes the ski more efficient through the water and makes it easier for the skier to engage the front half of the ski for tighter, more predictable turns.

Rocker:
The rocker line has been lowered under your feet in this new shape. This increases the sweet spot, inspiring confidence to push the limits with more predictable results. The new rocker gives the ski more drive side to side, allowing the skier to hold more angle from the finish of the turn to the centerline. It also allows the skier to start initiating the turn in a more level and controlled attack angle. Essentially, the tip of the ski can initiate earlier and there is a larger sweet spot to base your turns from. The increased tip engagement allows the tip to override the tail more, which results in more ski rotation prior to the buoy. The more the ski can be turned before the buoy, the earlier the skier can start to accelerate out of the buoy.

Concave: 
For 2020 Vapor, the concave was increased in the back 1/3 of the ski and now runs out the tail. This allows the ski to harness more water under the back of the ski and creates a higher riding tail that feels more supportive at the finish of the turn. The ski is faster as a result but without that loose, slippery feel. 

Bevels:
The Vapor features a hybrid bevel which allows us to get the best things from both a round and a sharp bevel. This lets the ski roll from edge to edge considerably smoother while also producing a more dynamic range of turn shapes. Ultimately, these bevels help create a ski that holds maximum angle side to side, rolls from edge to edge at a very predictable and confidence inspiring rate and is super forgiving for more ability to crank turns when you need them.

Thickness:
The max thickness of the ski has been lowered through the middle. By reducing the sidewall, the ski is able to sit deeper in the water, allowing for a more secure feeling to the skier with more feedback from the water.

Available in: 63.5, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69.5

https://radarskis.com/2020vapor

Vapor2020 photoshoot

There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive, the Alliance is threatened.
ballsohardZmanjrsShellMike

Comments

• JC McCavitJC McCavit Posts: 496
    Any non-pro skiers had a chance to ride the new 2020 Vapor?
    JC McCavit
    APBjimski
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 834 Crazy Baller
    I have seen a few NW skiers on them the ski has a 2019 graphic

but when watching skiers there is a noticeable difference.
    the new ski has a lot more ski in the water at the ball and in the pull.

I saw one in Dec at a secret location. and I Said I cant wait to get my hands on one!
    ballsohard
  • rq0013rq0013 Posts: 555 Baller
    I will ride mine today...
    Rob Quetschke
    ballsohardRyota Bill22
  • Onside135Onside135 Posts: 415 Crazy Baller
    They need to bring back the RS-1 bindings for that ski!
  • APBAPB Posts: 258 Baller
    i rode 3 sets on a 67" 3 weeks ago at radar. 28", 32's and a bit of 35. it was nice. got one coming.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,859 Mega Baller
    edited August 1
    The question is will this thread surpass the views of the 2016 Vapor thread?
    Ryota
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,859 Mega Baller
    Please keep the boots black.
    APBrodecon
  • Swerve200Swerve200 Posts: 22 Baller
    Does the new ski need one of the custom 3rd party fins or is it good to go stock?
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 254 Baller
    @APB what felt different about it compared to the 2018/19?
  • JaredSmithJaredSmith Posts: 61 Baller
    Question, does a increased concave in general make a ski faster or slower?
  • C5QuestC5Quest Posts: 289 Baller
    Just thinking of aerodynamic properties I would think it would be faster as it accelerates the flow of fluid through the concave tunnel. Isn’t this the direction the new Denali C75 went?
    RLW
  • jimskijimski Posts: 389 Solid Baller
    I’ve been on it
    Believe the hype this ski rips
    ballsohard
  • pregompregom Posts: 149 Baller
    Is this ski ripping at 36 mph or also at lower speeds?
  • APBAPB Posts: 258 Baller
    @ballsohard def noticed that it sat deeper. I can’t wait to ride my new one at home. Like I say only 3 sets... look forward to more.
    jimskiballsohard
  • jimskijimski Posts: 389 Solid Baller
    edited August 2
    @pregom I ski at 34
    After a couple sets Rossi said
    Your turning the crap out of that ski
    It’s fast sits flatter on the water and the whole ski engages out of the turn
    ballsohardJordanm_pagspregom
    First set on mine tonight, that’s a fun ski! Came off a 19 ProBuild. Big things that popped out was how it turned smoother and how level it rides, every where.
    Rob Quetschke
    ballsohardjimskiJordanUWSkier
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,109
    Question...Since they narrowed the ski and reduced the surface area, should we now consider going to the next larger size. ie: if you were on a 67" should you now go to a 68".
    How much difference does this change make ???

Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    GaryWilkinson
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 254 Baller
    edited August 2
    @Ed_Johnson Jamie Calhoun sized down from a 67" to a 66" so I'm not sure what to tell you.
    SkiGurl
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,177 Mega Baller
    I like the concept of a flatter-running ski. As someone who is in a lifelong struggle to learn to move up and stay up on my ski, this seems like it'd help in that regard.
    ballsohardBill22jimski
  • jeromezz430jeromezz430 Posts: 18 Baller
    @Horton will you review the 2020 Vapor ?
    Ryota dbaconaz
  • tonytony Posts: 23 Baller
    Does anyone know how or if the 2020 compares to the 2016? That ski worked well for me. Buoy count dropped on the 18 and 19 pro built. From 2-3 @ 38 to barely running 35.
    gavskiJASMJE
  • LOTWLOTW Posts: 120 Baller
    I still struggle with my '18, love my '17. I've had 4 VAP'S now and poised for a 5th but how about a new name?
    I’ve had every vapor. Comparing the 16 to the 2020 (1 set so far).... The 2020 feels more secure/planted by staying level more. The construction difference alone is a big change.... the 2020 has different core, carbon and innegra added... it is a much smoother, damper ride
    Rob Quetschke
  • Keith MenardKeith Menard Posts: 548 Crazy Baller
    Can I start a petition to get the windows back for 2021? Oh...right, I forgot...I am the only one who liked those :)
    drewski32
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,109
    @Keith Menard .... The great thing about the windows was that you knew you had the Max Amount of Forward COM lean when you could look through the windows and see the boat !!!

Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    Keith Menardballsohard
  • dnewtondnewton Posts: 90 Baller
    @Keith Menard I also loved the windows.