Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Goode? Carbon fiber core?

2»

Comments

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,214 Mega Baller
    I would definitely pull an @Dirt and try one but would never drop that kind of cash. If I tested one and light it up on it then who knows.
    Shut up and ski
    Dirtaupatking
  • LakebumLakebum Posts: 25 Baller
    @Dirt I’ll take one of those!
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,832 Infinite Pandas
    Goode has been a major innovator in ski design. Many of his advances have filtered into other skis. His skis do perform extremely well with a proven track record.

I have no idea what a "carbon core" is. But I'm sure details will eventually get out. I won't be surprised if it is a way to make the ski stronger, lighter, tougher with more flex control. Things that can incrementally make one ski better. Tech like that costs more. Time will determine if it's worth the money.

I'm intrigued by the new ski. And the new technology!

Eric
    ballsohardThan_BoganJaredSmithskialex
  • OldboyIIOldboyII Posts: 577 Solid Baller
    edited August 7
    Cannot find any description what carbon core is. Foam with carbon fibres? What foam? What sort of fibres? Ratio of filling? Etc..
    As long as no answers to these simple questions it is just marketing slogan and offer to believe in it.
    Surely there is a certain amount of RnD in it. Why not to share this basic info to potential customers? Otherwise it would be a black cat it the black room - you just have to trust that cat is there ))
    Ed_Johnsonaupatking
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,618 Mega Baller
    @OldboyII - I was wondering similar - carbon foam? carbon stringers? bucky ball carbon 60 infused with the blood of a Men's 8 skier?
    NandoDeanoski
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,495 Mega Baller
    edited August 8
    Optomizium or Unobtainium!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    ballsohardmfjaegersrski6jones
  • BrewskiBrewski Posts: 395 Crazy Baller
    edited August 7
    Wakeboards have use carbon/foam cores for years. Basically it is a PCI foam with fine carbon rods pressed through it in an offset pattern at about 1" Like a polkadot pattern. Definitely was a game changer in wakeboards.
    WishDWrodecon
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,426 Administrator
    @Brewski do you know the name of any of the products that use this process? I never heard about this before it's intriguing.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• thagerthager Posts: 4,495 Mega Baller
    Hmm Always wondered what happened to screwed up ski poles!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    DanE
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,832 Infinite Pandas
    My PVC cores need to be scribed to optimize the bond. Sometimes I get too aggressive and cut all the way through the core. I experimented with putting cloth (either carbon or glass) in auspicious places to bond top to bottom. This process actually really helped with the durability of the old urethane cores (I've been doing it for a while - urethane cores didn't last for me without the cloth through the core).

It was a difficult process which was quite time consuming. My process was not particularly material intensive but took a lot of critical labor. Expensive if I was selling.

@Brewski 's pre manufactured core could be quite expensive. Might be worse if it was part of the build. Not defending ridiculous prices but I can see where they came from.

The core could be a real improvement.

How much does each buoy cost us?

Eric
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 194 Solid Baller
    A more than 50% increase in price for anything is a streach. Where does it stop? $10,000 skies and 1 M boats? This is concerning, I would think. My $.02 or is it up to $.04 now.
    ISP6ballWaterSkier12liquid d
    @Golfguy - I think what is refreshing is that it is clear it can be done for less. Blank the Syndicate Omni is 1099 - which to me basically means that an all carbon waterski "syndicate build" can be executed upon and sold for 1100 bucks. The next 1K I think is basically on your discretion.
  • DWDW Posts: 1,991 Mega Baller
    edited August 8
    Ultimately the market will decide the price point, the problem is addicts will/do overspent (a lot) to get 'our' fix :-)
    ROI = price / buoy - how much is it worth ... obviously 3 zeros worth.
    Consider the ski a much better ROI than ZO!
    mcskier41
  • MickeyThompsonMickeyThompson Posts: 147 Baller
    @BraceMaker If I'm not mistaken the Omni is built in China.
  • mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 501 Crazy Baller
    So with the performance package you get the medium flex. With this in mind, what does the softness or stiffness of a ski translate to. Forgiveness in turns and speed etc.
  • OldboyIIOldboyII Posts: 577 Solid Baller
    edited August 8
    Major ski manufacturers must love Goode because Goode systematically rises the price for top level skis.
    By doing this Goode enlarging the space where big boys may play with their prices B)
    BG1skialex
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,932 Mega Baller
    @Golfguy a full set of PXGs including wedges could run well north of 5K.

If I got to demo it and it was both easier on my body and let me run 2-4 more buoys consistently I would pay the freight for the new Goode. Right now easier on my body is important.
    Mark Shaffer
    jayski
  • skiboynyskiboyny Posts: 211 Baller
    If it performs it will sell. There seems no shortage of money in this sport. Addicts always find a way.
    We have done it to ourselves.
    ballsohard
    @MickeyThompson - Taiwan.

Trying to baseline the actual materials costs of an all carbon waterski to a certain cosmetic/functional level.