What drill can you do to break the habit of reaching for the handle?

aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,208 Mega Baller
I’ve been trying to break the bad habit of reaching for the handle at/after the buoy. I’ve been trying to stay “countered” coming into the ball, but that has been putting me on the tail of the ski, which for me has made things worse. I’m wondering if I need to go back to something like “eyes down the buoy line”, or some other thought to keep my shoulders level or “square”.
What works for you guys?

Comments

• LakebumLakebum Posts: 25 Baller
    edited August 8
    Eyes down the buoy line does for me.
    skialex
  • pregompregom Posts: 146 Baller
    So, as an example, eyes down the buoy line means that if I’m approaching the 2 ball I should be looking at the 4 and 6 balls? I’m LFF and I need to work on my offside turns. From videos I can see I end up on the tail of the ski and I don’t turn and create angle as I should.
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,144 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I always teach a thought: hips to handle not handle to hips.
    If you ski your hips back to the handle, you will complete the turn and the handle will be right there.
    As you likely know, reaching with your free hand causes separation between you and the handle and it's almost impossible to win it back.
    MDB1056
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,208 Mega Baller
    In my case, it appears reaching in for the handle is more due to a bad/lazy position in the preturn. It definitely helps to ski back to the handle, so the hip is just brought back around.
    I’ve found that if I can break something down to one simple thought, specifically a movement thought that causes other actions to occur properly, it can be repeated. Like “pull with your back arm/back arm pressure” or some such thought. One suggestion was “drive your inside hip forward”. It’s a dynamic movement that makes others like the counter rotation of the shoulders happen. It sounds very interesting and is definitely worth trying.
    Bruce_Butterfield
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 945 Mega Baller
    Is your ski finishing the turn well? If not you may have no choice but to reach for the handle. Video?
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,509 Mega Baller
    You sound like me - trying to stay countered essentially makes me rotate back instead of moving through forwards. Something that helped stop that was simply being mindful of what you do with the handle. When I just focus on holding the handle in a certain orientation I'm much more confident in that I'll end up skiing back to it.

• UCFskierUCFskier Posts: 29 Baller
    I always liked the idea of keeping the hand on the bottom buckle trick (back when we had buckles haha).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file