2019 Herb’s Cup

ROBOTROBOT Posts: 117 Administrator

Herb O'Brien instilled in us a passion to push beyond the norm, to create, innovate and shape the future of skiing. With that in mind, we created the most unique format around town. Skiers are given 6.5 minutes to run as many buoys as they can with as little rope as possible, high score wins. Skiers can fall, skip passes or do whatever they want, the only thing that matters is that they throw down and post a huge score! We invited the most progressive skiers on the planet to see what they can do. This year the Cup was awarded to Corey Vaughn who put it all on the line to get 3.5 buoys at 41 off. Check the mayhem that made up the 4th annual Herb’s Cup.
There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive, the Alliance is threatened.
schaferALPJrthagervtmechengZmantheboardingschoolObrienslalomraynjipster43art90notch

Comments

• escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 682 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So...when I first read the description, I expect to see something. But then I watch the video and it totally wasn't what I expected. Hmmm...What am I missing? I gotta figure this out.
  • escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 682 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Oooohhhhh. Ok, I get it. They just pick a super hard pass and get as many buoys as they can. They can try as many times as they want within a 6 minute window.

OK, so let me propose a new format. This is what I thought I was going to be watching.

Start with the ZBS chart.

https://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/ZBSCheatSheet.htm

Cut the 6.5 minutes down to just 5 minutes.

Now send a guy out to ski. Let's say a guy who is a good skier in really good shape could choose to run 32 off passes. We know these passes are total cake for most the guys in this video. So if they are running 32 off passes, and the boat is spinning around the islands at each end and they just keep running them successfully for 5 minutes straight, then let's say that they would total like 8 times through in that 5 minute span. So then you take a 32 off pass at 36 mph being worth 96 points from the ZBS chart and this skier would earn 96 points times 8 times completing it successfully and his point total would be 768 points.

This would kind of put an aspect of endurance and consistency into the competition instead of just peak performance for 20 second intervals only.

This is cool too though.
  • MNshortlinerMNshortliner Posts: 103 Baller
    @escmanaze that would be a great comp. I would like too see what you’re saying but with an unlimited time and quick spins on each end. As soon as you miss a buoy you would be done. What ever line you choose. You would get some waves coming back into the course also so that would make things a little interesting. And each line would have a point value so maybe 10 passes at 32 off would be worth more than like 7 passes at 35 off
    escmanaze