It is going to be an interesting Worlds week

HortonHorton Posts: 27,206 Administrator
Conditions could be variable.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

ballsohardSkiOrDie

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,897 Mega Baller
    Where are they?
    Mark Shaffer
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,180 Crazy Baller
    @Chef23
    Malaysia
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,206 Administrator

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

keithh2oskierJustin_Cballsohard
  • ISP6ballISP6ball Posts: 175 Baller
    Looks like it's gonna be a grind!
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,509 Mega Baller
    Is one end pretty protected and the other end just open water?
  • jayskijayski Posts: 760 Mega Baller
    #lowestscoresever
  • TheBigHeadTheBigHead Posts: 58 Baller
    @John Brooks I agree its the competition that matters, but when the site is on open water every skier is going to have different conditions.

Look at the two videos above, if the conditions vary that much it cant really be considered fair competition.
    ISP6ballFWinterballsohardCooper_Trelawney
  • aspskiaspski Posts: 179 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Looks calmer than most lakes i ski on haha
    TheBigHeadDanE
  • BrewskiBrewski Posts: 373 Crazy Baller
    Looks terrible. I would go home. LOL
    TheBigHead
  • John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 348 Crazy Baller
    I agree it would be nice to have consistent conditions for all and that you want to make sure the conditions are safe. My primary point is that scores are not the be all end all; that I am not interested in merely watching events with the highest scores but those with the best competition with good spectator access. I don't know, but although a great event, Moomba conditions are not necessarily great and not always consistent as an example.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,206 Administrator
    @John Brooks my understanding is that this site makes Moomba look like a sheet of glass. IF the conditions were reasonable and it was the same for everyone I guess it might be ok but I understand the conditions can be radically different minute by minute.

z_skierTheBigHeadJohn Brooksballsohard
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,897 Mega Baller
    Jacincta’s pass looked worse than Freddy’s. If I pull out and my ski is bouncing around that much I call it a day. Of course I am not that good either.
    Mark Shaffer
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,981 Mega Baller
    I pulled the score books back to 2007 for the site

Mens Lake Records
    Slalom: Nick Parsons - [email protected]
    Trick: Aliaksei Zharnasek - 11,470
    Jump: Freddy Krueger - 226'/69m

Womens Lake Records
    Slalom: April Coble Eller - [email protected]
    Trick: Marion Aynaud - 8,310
    Jump: June Fladborg - 159'/48.7m
    ballsohardCooper_Trelawney
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,358 Mega Baller
    My take-home: The Rabbit is a FREAKIN' BEAST.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    bf`Cooper_TrelawneyaupatkingGlydonozski
  • JayproJaypro Posts: 266 Crazy Baller
    I would assume this would favor bigger stronger skiers? Explain to this novice why the World Championships aren't help to a higher course standard? It doesn't look like a particularly good venue to watch, either.
  • JayproJaypro Posts: 266 Crazy Baller
    @MattP I stand corrected on the viewing question!!
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,919 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    From what I understand, there are other boats out on the water, there has been no attempt to curtail their activities, so it could well get rolly for some unfortunate to enter the course at the wrong time, it,s going to be tough, I have been told that Freddie Winter was back in good old blighty (England for you Guy,s and Gals in the USA) training in the worst conditions he could find, not difficult because we have had plenty of strong wind and rain, not a brilliant summer.

"Getting Harder/Getting Positive”

FWinterballsohard
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,358 Mega Baller
    @Stevie Boy I sure hope you've been misinformed. It's one thing for a site to be challenging, but having other boats on the water would just be ludicrous.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,919 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Than_Bogan Huge lake cannot see them being able to control it, that info came from a competitor, I also hope it is incorrect info, but the source is reliable.

"Getting Harder/Getting Positive”

• AndreAndre Posts: 1,180 Crazy Baller
    Plan of site on page 7.Looks like other boats could be ...ski boats as there is 4 courses.

http://iwwf.sport/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Bulletin-1-2019-Waterski-Championships.pdf
  • NandoNando Posts: 481 Crazy Baller
    The site looks nice and the surrounding area looks gorgeous and the northwest leg of the lake, where one of the jumps is located looks pretty well-protected, but if they're skiing on the main part of the lake, by the stands and the wind is up- yikes. The lake records show that big scores can be accomplished there, but a world championship site should be at least comparable to a typical local site. I have no doubt that they can keep other boats away, but without wind protection, conditions could be pretty awful.
  • jercranejercrane Posts: 246 Solid Baller
    Yeah man they should be skiing on Godzilla based on that site map.
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 507 Crazy Baller
    I just had a layover in Singapore Saturday... I guess I should have looked at the dates a little closer. probably would have been pretty reasonable to head into Malaysia for a few days... dammit.
    andjulessabuchan
  • whitem71whitem71 Posts: 34 Baller
    edited August 12
    Every time I see footage from past comps on this lake I just wince..

Not matter how calm the weather seems, big lakes are normally a little deeper and thus always have an element of swell and changeable water conditions minute by minute. One for the heavier, experienced or European skier? Would love to know how they plan to combat the conditions - fin, bindings, soft knees or bigger skis!?