2019 malibu txi 6L issues

TheBigHeadTheBigHead Posts: 58 Baller
edited August 12 in Boat Talk
Hi everyone,

Our ski club has a 2019 txi with the 6L , we have had issues with this boat since the first day and I'm wondering if anyone else has had these issues and perhaps knows a fix. Our dealer doesnt know what to do and our club is losing a lot of ski time this year because of it.

Since the first day the service engine light will come on, and then after the first set the engine will overheat and go into limp mode. We can then get the boat working by turning it off and on and revving the engine a bit in neutral. *note our dealer claims that while checking the engine codes that there are none to be found. No fix/repair and we were told to continue using the boat.

At the end of july our boat began misfiring, we got the boat back "fixed" but it would not make power and certainly could not pull a skier even at slow speeds. Boat has been at the dealership now for a couple weeks and everyone says they are "stumped".

I believe this is a known issue with these malibu's with this engine. Last year I heard in the fall that these boats had an engine issue that sounded the same as what we are having. Unfortunately we had already ordered our boat so we couldn't make a change.

Has anyone else experienced this and hopefully found a fix?

Thanks!

Edit: put 6.2l but it's a 6L

Comments

• waterskicoreywaterskicorey Posts: 129 Baller
    @Chad_Scott ??????
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 454 Crazy Baller
    Does the boat act like it's in limp mode still.
  • pmskipmski Posts: 13 Baller
    I'm curious does the exhaust note/sound change when the boat is up to speed?
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,378 Mega Baller
    Obvious question, has the impeller been changed and the circulating pump checked? Coolant level checked?
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • TheBigHeadTheBigHead Posts: 58 Baller
    @bigtex2011 no, limp mode if I remember correctly the boat wont get on plane.

When we had it back last time it could get a skier out of the water but would struggle to even get the lightest skier up and to speed.
    @pmski yes but I'm not sure what you mean. Exhaust note changes with the boat rpm.

@oldjeep at the point it's hard for me to say as it is with the dealer and they have claimed to have gone over everything. When we had the problem originally(the overheating limp mode issue) yes we checked the strainer/impeller oddly the boat would be fine if we kept it running with no break between skiers. That first issue seemed to happen when we stopped the boat waited a minute for the next skier and then idled over the the dock. If you didnt put it in neutral and rev the engine the temp would skyrocket and hit limp mode. From my untrained perspective it almost seemed as though a thermostat wasnt opening and the revving was somehow sorting that out (i dont really know for sure though)

If you had the engine light come on, and the boat overheat and go into limp mode would a technician be able to see some kind of code when they hooked it up to a computer? That was a strange one to us as the dealer kept stating the boat showed no engine codes
    edited August 12
    If you had to rev it, sounds more like impeller or air lock in closed part of cooling system.
    Chuck P
    rockdog
    @oldjeep yeah and it very well could be. Unfortunately this has progressed beyond just that issue.

Actually when we got the boat back (after the misfiring) it didnt behave the same so it's hard to say if that issue still lingers or if it is gone. The new issue where it just makes very little power prevents us from even skiing.
    You do realize that the engine codes, inactive or active are available in the malivue screens? Or do they have a stripped down version where you don't have the diagnostic screrns? Even my 2012 shows them. My recommendation would be to spend the money for diacom no point in owning a megabuck boat without the $600 tool needed to diagnose and maintain it.
    Chuck P
    @oldjeep true and I totally get what you are saying.

We have the standard screen setup, I dont believe it shows anything other than "service engine" or similar. I could be wrong as I'm not in front of it right now.

But by the same logic what's the point in buying a new boat under warranty if the manufacturer and dealer cant fix it? (I see the irony, as that's why I'm here)

That's part of why I'm asking the specific question, if the boat comes up and says "service engine" or engine fault (I cant remember the exact terminology) then when it is taken into the dealer they should be able to see what that was when its hooked up to a computer correct? As according to the dealer it has not registered any fault codes. It seems very odd to us that there would be no codes when the engine fault light is on all day.

Dont get me wrong though the sentiment is growing, and the feeling is that our dealer isnt working with us and at the end of the day if we need to buy our own diagnostic tools we will. The most important thing is to have our club members skiing. If we lose out on a large portion of the season because our brand new boat wont run it could really impact our ability to operate.
    ISP6ball
    edited August 12
    They should be able to see both active and inactive codes. I'd quote the tommy boy definition of warranty, but i wont. Summer is a short and precious commodity, hauling a boat to dealer can waste a lot of it.
    The diagnostic tools are a really cheap one time cost.
    Chuck P
    Yeah that's the thing if the codes active and inactive are visible then I can only assume our dealer is not helping our situation.

Again, I'm hoping to find others that have had this issue or similar with this particular boat/engine.

As I said this is something that was described to me last year as an issue with these boats, so I'm hoping someone has been successful in sorting it out.
    @Pat M probably the next course of action. I'll give this a day to get feedback and then go direct.
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 775 Crazy Baller
    As for the overheat warning make sure you don’t have a bunch of weeds or other crap in the tranny cooler!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    @teammalibu if that particular issue persists after the more serious/new one is sorted out we will take a look for sure.
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 775 Crazy Baller
    Feel your pain mines in the shop for the second week also!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 588 Crazy Baller
    Have you tried getting in touch with PCM/Crusader directly? Have heard and experienced this in Malibus..... It seems to only be an issue with the Crusader motors installed in TXI's but not all of them....
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 653 Crazy Baller
    Try putting a 2x4 under the front of the motor box to see if it’s an air starvation/overheating issue. If that is the case then one or more of your air intakes could be pinched, plugged or not hooked up?
    Take off the air filter as well and inspect it and the air intake plenum for obstructions/damage.
    Good luck.
    @RAWSki thanks for the insight

@Dacon62 thanks good idea.
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 241 Baller
    Are they supplying you with a loaner yet?
  • jpwhitjpwhit Posts: 60 Baller
    edited August 13
    I recently fixed a similar issue to your original overheating issue. When the boat overheats at idle, but not when it's rev'ed up. And the impeller has been checked and is good, then it typically means there is air getting into the cooling system on the input side of the raw water pump. The input side of the raw water pump operates at a vacuum. At idle you end up with almost all air coming in if there is a leak, but at higher RPMs the raw water pump is spinning fast enough to pull in enough water to cool the engine. That kind of issue can be really hard to diagnose

I found it by literally taking apart the entire cooling system. In my case, the problem turned out to be a cracked fitting under one of the clamps. The clamp was over tightened to the point that it cracked the fitting.

If your engine overheated a number of times, then one possible explanation for the loss of power now is engine damage due to the overheating.

Yes, if you had the engine overheat enough to generate a warning, there should be a fault code stored. It seems pretty clear your dealer doesn't know what they are doing....
    Tkl127AndreTheBigHeadDW
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 305 Solid Baller
    Several years ago I had a boat overheat problem (not Malibu) and found out that the thermostat had broken into several pieces. Sometimes it miraculously worked, and other times it caused overheating, especially at idle.
  • E_TE_T Posts: 597 extraterrestrial trouble maker
    Call mastercraft order a new boat problem solved
    E.T. phone home!
    I like reese's pieces

"Leave nothing on the dock"~AM
    eyepeelerTheBigHead
  • Jack KinneJack Kinne Posts: 80 Baller
    Is this the new Malibu marinized 6L? I've heard of this happening with the new motor. I also heard second hand that Malibu could have a new heat exchanger for a fix.
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 454 Crazy Baller
    @Jack Kinne pretty sure it's the PCM Crusader 6L. that's what was in my 2017
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,180 Crazy Baller
    edited August 13
    Questions for the experts.
    Is the PCM 6.0 Crusader marinize in a different way then the PCM 6.0 Nautique or exactly the same? Is it raw water cool or with a heat exchanger ?
    I'm with @Brewski, Call Malibu ASAP.The fact that you got the boat back from the dealer with no power is not good sign...Which dealer is it?
  • Jack KinneJack Kinne Posts: 80 Baller
    @bigtex2011 Is it closed cooling with antifreeze?
  • LLUSALLUSA Posts: 265 Crazy Baller
    Call Malibu
    LLUSA, Sr Driver, AWSA Board of Directors, Towboat Committee,Lake Owner