Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World championships slalom conditions

GaryWilkinsonGaryWilkinson Posts: 325 Solid Baller
Is it just me or are the Aussie announcers praise of the conditions at that HUGE lake in Malaysia a little overboard?

I like the content about the skiing, but their statements of how great it is doesn’t translate to the skiers and their performances. Many went down early due to what I saw as a course filled with distant rollers from boats on the same body of water in the distance. (You could see them in the distant view) And moderate backwash from the concrete sea wall across the bay.

Anyone else see this? It seems to me that the site is borderline acceptable for slalom, but who am I sitting here in Canada hoping for another month of good weather.

Anyone else see it?
I need to ski back to the handle obviously.
randymeny

Comments

• DavidNDavidN Posts: 277 Solid Baller
    edited August 15
    It’s not only you.
    I thought the same when I heard comments like “a little water movement” or “a bit challenging” and seen the best skiers in the world struggling, fighting and going down early. It’s a disgrace, no matter how nice the surrounding area is.
    But what do you expect the official commentators to do? Criticize the site/venue/organizers while they are working there?

All had been discussed here.
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,222 Crazy Baller
    There is some rollers especially at 4 and 6 when leaving from the starting dock.You can really see them in Jamie Bull 32 off at 3 ball coming from the middle of the lake.It almost took her down.
    But on the other hand,Manon was able to run 3...Certainly not the usual private manmade lakes conditions but still skiable.
    GaryWilkinson
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,710 Mega Baller
    Toss of the dice!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,003 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Any roller would put me down, these skiers are generally well balanced on their ski and can deal with a lot of variables, if quite a lot of them are getting taken down then the conditions must be questionable.

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

• JaredSmithJaredSmith Posts: 62 Baller
    If the difficult conditions were the same for everyone that would be fine but when you introduce random rollers into the equation it creates a unfair situation. We all know that a roller at the finish of a slalom turn is not the same as one behind the boat in our lean.
    ISP6ballThan_BoganBill22GaryWilkinson
  • Cooper_TrelawneyCooper_Trelawney Posts: 94 Baller
    I often hear how much we miss the Pro Tour and television coverage of waterskiing. The Pro Tour was often hosted on dicey sites. Skiers like the Duvalls, LaPoints, Roberge, Mapple, etc became legends carving out wins in crazy bad conditions. I think one has to weigh out the potential equation of conditions versus exposure. We don't want to see season ending injuries occur but those types of injuries happen in even the best of conditions. Every time we ski we take a risk. IDK, I think that if the winning pass is a line length longer than usual but we get to showcase our sport to thousands of spectators then it's OK. Moomba is harsh on the skiers and not consistent. Even Robin Lake gets rolly. Let the skiers ski!
    eyepeeler
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 968 Mega Baller
    From what I saw the conditions during womens slalom at least were consistent from skier to skier. Those rollers were always there at 1 and 3 coming toward the dock. Would give me trouble for sure.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,436 Mega Baller
    Hey now. Total random luck with insane rollers got me by far my highest Nationals finish. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    keithh2oskierballsohardwilecoyoteeyepeeler
  • nikandstevenikandsteve Posts: 55 Baller
    The site has its challenges, much like Moomba, and the same announcer was there too. He’s from New Zealand and they are a much tougher breed and different personality. “Hurricane? We’re getting a little rain!” He does a fantastic job! At least the trick scores were insane, that bubble is wild! We have been so ridiculously spoiled with our private lakes. The old Coors light ski tour had much crazier conditions and the announcers laughed 😂
    ballsohard
  • Cooper_TrelawneyCooper_Trelawney Posts: 94 Baller
    @horton I completely agree that a World Title is the highest achievement one can earn but when you look at the history of the World Championships, they have often been held on open sites that can get rough. I don't know why. Just a few of those include 2017 Paris, 2011 Dubna Russia, 2007 and 1991 Austria, 1979 Toronto, 1977 Milan and going back and back...It seems that when the Worlds have been held at top sites such as Okaheelee or Clermont FL that the conditions are great but there is no viewership. It seems like a trade-off for sure. The '61 Worlds were in Long Beach, CA. Can you imagine that?
    TFINeyepeeler
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,295 Mega Baller
    It would be sad to see the "family and friends" crowd only on the shore of a private site for a World Championship. A World (f'ing) Championship.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    eyepeeler
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,861 Mega Baller
    Prelims - workday?
    DanE
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 498 Crazy Baller
    @ISP6ball We are probably members of the smallest group of athletes in the world. I would also say that there are few skiers in Malaysia. If the event were held in a more mainline country attendance would likely be higher.
    dbaconaz
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,599 Crazy Baller
    Is the webcast working for anyone? The schedule said mens slalom at 8:00 am Friday local time. That should be now.
    In gear. Hit It. Thank You!
  • PurdueSkierPurdueSkier Posts: 178 Baller
    Not working for me.
  • dnewtondnewton Posts: 90 Baller
    Maybe they need to bounce it off of parish’s head better. #fixthefeed
    Booze
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 277 Solid Baller
    Working now
  • BoozeBooze Posts: 392 Solid Baller
    Dane with [email protected]! .... that's encouraging regarding skiability of the water.
    Maybe they have clued into 4 and 6 ball going away from dock and adjusted.
    dthate
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 254 Baller
    Nate with the missed gates at 39 then he ate it later in the pass 😮
  • jimmyjamesbrownjimmyjamesbrown Posts: 43 Baller
    No replay?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,613 Administrator
    About 45 seconds after it happened this showed up in my inbox.

Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• jimmyjamesbrownjimmyjamesbrown Posts: 43 Baller
    I thought he had it.
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 254 Baller
    That review is huge for him
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,613 Administrator
    Under review he made it easily. Odd that picture looks so conclusive the other way.
    Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• ricorico Posts: 181 Solid Baller

Eric Francois - Studio City, CA - Denali C-75 - Reflex