Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Locking a boatmate trailer on a hitch

jetpilotg4jetpilotg4 Posts: 285 Baller
Doing a 1000 mile road trip next week to pickup a new boat, wondering how / if you can lock the trailer to the hitch

Comments

• BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 452 Crazy Baller
    edited August 23
    Either a regular 1/4" lock or a 9/32" or 1/4" long shaft trailer coupler lock I'd guess.
  • JonBJonB Posts: 31 Baller
    Don't forget the locking pin on the draw bar also.
    T$ Worst Student
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,398 Mega Baller
    Just padlock the safety chains to the truck. There isn't a good way to lock a modern coupler, the little side coupler pins are not conducive to locks.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • TustinTomTustinTom Posts: 91 Baller
    What @oldjeep said.

Is your concern while driving or waking up after a hotel stay and your boats gone? On overnights, we chalk the tires, padlock the chain to the truck, unhitch it and pull back the swing away tongue, while taking the thru bolt and cotter pin to the room.

Don't know if you meant "new" to you or brand new. My concern on a 1,000 mile trip would be: did you confirm with the seller the age/condition of the tires and spare?
  • jetpilotg4jetpilotg4 Posts: 285 Baller
    @TustinTom 🤔 2019 new, trailer new, spare new. I’ll be sure to post a full itinerary for you when I hook up and leave next week. Yes my concern is it leaving without me as I’m in my hotel room.
  • TustinTomTustinTom Posts: 91 Baller
    Well, you can do a lot of preventive things, but we all know the story....if anyone "really" wants it. If you are really concerned: Park under lights, back in to a corner spot, lock chain and remove swing away thru bolt.

I wouldn't overthink it. That's for Insurance to worry about.
    jetpilotg4
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,041 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Waste of time. A professional can steal any trailer no matter the precautions taken in 20 seconds. Best thing to do is block it in when you park. Locks only keep out honest people.
    edited August 23
    Maybe I am the crazy one but there is no way I am going to chain it to my truck, unhitch, fold the tongue, remove the pin and lock it. Might as well just remove the whole coupler/actuator at that point.

Just throw a lock on and go to sleep. Any trailer coupler can be locked to a ball easily. Leave it attached and throw a cheap lock on. I'm with @Orlando76 I pick my parking spots for security, not a lock. The lock just removes the opportunity crime aspect.
  • HockdogHockdog Posts: 180 Baller
    About 4 Red Bull’s and you won’t need a hotel room.....
    Juzz sayin.
    BrennanKMNoldjeepJetsetr
    @Hockdog That's my style. I have done a lot of 1000-1200 mile trips in the last 5-6 years. Did all of them straight through. Leave at 3-4am and just go. Not too bad actually, but I prefer getting it done vs. killing two days.
    Hockdog
    Thanks

I’m leaning towards cowboying up and doing the drive straight though
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,007 Crazy Baller
    I towed my boat from Florida to Edmonton Alberta (2800) miles with no issues. Park smart and have some locks for the Opportunistic thief, the professionals will steal what they want to regardless.
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,398 Mega Baller
    I agree, its 1000 miles. Ive done that and then hopped right in the lift line :D
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • bojansbojans Posts: 255 Baller
    I’ll ask the important question. What type of boat are you getting?
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 261 Solid Baller
    edited August 25
    Another idea - why not check for ballers along your route who would offer you a “sleep-over” at their place?
    Residential areas are usually safer to park a boat over night. ;)
    jetpilotg4
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 240 Baller
    Nice work. Gonna need more pics. Is that metalflake peeking out in front?
  • ToddAToddA Posts: 104 Baller
    My first inboard Ski Brendella I bought when I was 25. When I towed it home, I slept in a sleeping bag, in the boat, in a grocery store parking lot, for fear someone might steal it! Looking back on it now, I was at more risk than the $15K boat! :)
  • ToddAToddA Posts: 104 Baller
    @jetpilotg4 great looking Nautique BTW!

ToddAJonBBruce_Butterfield
  • Timr71Timr71 Posts: 24 Baller
    Jetpilot - Congrats! That's my marina. Russel Marine - River North location. I've had my hands on your boat. I stood there and talked with Doug about it for a while. Enjoy!