Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trick Ski Setup

HortonHorton Posts: 27,442 Administrator
As old time tricker I always put my front ankle bone 1/4 inch (+/-) forward of center and leave it there. I then set my rear binding at about a 45 so the big toe of my back foot rested on the back screw of the front binding.

I am pretty sure there has to be more nuanced and insightful set up in the modern era.

Any rules of thumb or guides out there?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Comments

• z_skierz_skier Posts: 34 Baller
    I generally use 3/8" forward of center. I also get the toe plate as close as possible/comfortable to the back of the rear boot or plate. I also prefer about 45 degrees for the toe plate, anything less or more than 45 feels odd to me.
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,502 Mega Baller
    For basic tricks and toes, that binding position 1/4-3/8" forward of center still applies. Once you get more advanced, binding position is just like adjusting a slalom fin. The general rules are:

For spins (WO, W5), that front position with rear foot close still applies, i.e. closer is better.
    For flips and ski lines, a little more foot separation helps. You can move each 1/2" or so farther apart (front binding fwd, rear plate back). Definitely experiment for what feels best. Its a compromise if you are doing flips and W5s.

Binding position is the main reason higher level trickers use a hand and a toe ski. Plus taking the rear plate off for toes makes a noticeable difference in weight.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    HortoneleeskiWaterSkier12drew
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,835 Infinite Pandas
    @Bruce_Butterfield nailed the rules of thumb.

Some tricks require special binding position. Tradeoff the advantages to that trick with the problems to the other tricks (like dialing your fin to favor the offside turn over the onside).

I will run the binding in the direction that is slippery (TWO slip out the back got better when I moved the binding forward a couple cm). I widened out the back foot when I needed more aggressive cuts into the wake for W5F.

If you move the binding, you might have to adjust the speed as well. I typically go forward and wider stance for faster speeds. Bigger skis also seem to need the same binding adjustment.

With inserts and plates, it's easy to experiment. Start conventionally but do try different settings.

Eric
    Gus