Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NORTHERN MN. SKIING IN SEPT

bananaronbananaron Posts: 287 Crazy Baller

I am still skiing and live 2.5 hrs north of mpls/st paul in the brainerd lakes area.The weather has really changed here and have skied in the mornings with air temps of 45 and not sure of water temp however it has cooled off.I really feel great and am skiing the best I think I have ever skied even at the age of 71 yrs old.I have to thank my orthopedic surgeon for the 8 shots I have gotten in my knees back and hip joint and also my hot tub and sauna for the pain relief.I love this sport and live on a perfect lake for skiing.All of the city folks have left and now for sure have the lake to myself however it would be nice if it would warm up and the wind would die down.I have a wife who is a fantastic driver and my little dog a great spotter.WOW I am a blessed man to have it so nice to be able to enjoy such a great sport at my old age.
Ron Engblom Brainerd lakes,minnesota
Wish2ValvevtmechengIGskijedgelldrewNiles TaylorBlueSkioldjeep9400swc5150JayproskibrainKRoundyrobmollysilverlakeAndreS1Pittsadkh2oskierMDB1056skigirlSteven_HainesWoodySkierskialexbf`EdmundRazorRoss3DavidPjetpilotg4APBrawlyShakeskiShark

Comments

• DockoelbotoDockoelboto Posts: 66 Baller
    Nice Ron!!! Keep on crushing it!
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 582 Crazy Baller
    Get a full length suit and keep going!
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,214 Mega Baller
    Water should get back into the 70s after tomorrow. Windy and 84 down here.
    Shut up and ski
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,398 Mega Baller
    Sounds like your weather has been better up north. Been in the 50s and low 60s here with rain every few hours. Been putting a crimp in boat time
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,155 Mega Baller
    Camaro suit can extend your season into October. I've used mine in November in Wisconsin.
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 487 Crazy Baller
    No heater top or wet suit required in SC until at least November. Very little boat traffic on public water. This morning our lake temp was 90.4 degrees, air 84, glass for miles. Maybe an errant bass boat once in awhile.
    PurdueSkier
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 69 Baller
    Further south than you Ron, but this is my FAVORITE time of year to ski in MN. Air temps at 6:00 a.m. were mid 50’s to start over the weekend but water still high 60’s so very skiable without our cold weather gear.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,155 Mega Baller
    82F water, 78F air for this morning's sets in AZ. :)
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 272 Solid Baller
    Awesome. Keep on skiing!
  • WishWish Posts: 7,753 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited September 9
    Hmmmm 🤔 Back in MN in 10 days for 3 days of potential free skiing weather permitting. For a Floridian (25yrs now) wondering what to pack for warmth as far as wetsuits go. Could end up skiing in the am as well as mid day. Large deep lake near St Cloud. Thoughts?
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    Camero
    Shut up and ski
  • WishWish Posts: 7,753 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @MS.. Full? What would the water temp-ish be?
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 250 Baller
    @bananaron - yes you’re SO blessed. But sounds like you know that very well. I’m not that many years behind you. Would love to know how you taught your dog to spot!
  • iceboatingiceboating Posts: 27 Baller
    @bananaron reading your post gives me hope that I can keep doing this for a while yet. Did you land a boat with heated seats for your driver? Do you have a picture of your newest tug?
    @Wish By the time you are here you may want it but bring your hot top in case we get a few more days into the 70s. Water in MSP is probably about 68 or so but should warm a bit.
    Shut up and ski
    Wish
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 582 Crazy Baller
    @Wish it depends if you are a warmer or colder person. I get cold easily so would go full regardless at this point that far North. Some can simply go with a Camaro top.
    Wish
  • OldGuysRuleOldGuysRule Posts: 90 Baller
    Keep skiing bananaron! Heat wave predicted for us here in Indiana tomorrow. Temps in the low 90's! You can bet we'll be skiing!
  • bananaronbananaron Posts: 287 Crazy Baller
    @Wish Probably full suit or a camaro.I don't use a wetsuit only warm tops and shorts.Usually a heater oneil or similar product.You are welcome to come to the brainerd area I will gladly pull you on a pristine ski lake however it will be cooler water....@MDB1056 Winston boy is a smart dog and barks if I fall however I never fall.@iceboating Heater and shower in boat no heated seats and right now its the 08 MC 197.
    WishskigirlThe_MS
  • robmollysilverlakerobmollysilverlake Posts: 40 Baller
    edited September 11
    @bananaron What did you do with the 09(?) Ski Nautique you got earlier this summer!? Was able to ski last night, water was 66 in Battle Lake, so not as cold as I was expecting. Looking forward to the heat wave this weekend :)

• skibrainskibrain Posts: 69 Baller

MN lake looked really black with early light overcast this past Sunday.
  • CentCent Posts: 159 Baller
    Alaska reporting here.
    First Camaro works for me.
    When really cold I wear their Titanium Modec .5 top under a full Black Tech suit. Have used this with air and water both in the 40s.

Second another “vintage skier” at age 74.

Cold hands can be an issue.
    Hoping to go for a couple more weeks.

Boat is a Carbon Pro 6.0 with a heater. Latter is a big help.

Morning skiing now is fine with air in low 50s and water on lower half of 60s. Nights in 40s so water temperature is dropping. I hope to ga a couple more weeks.
    bananaron
  • bananaronbananaron Posts: 287 Crazy Baller
    @Cent Thats great keep skiing!! You have it much cooler then I do.Its great to see someone with great dedication to the sport.....
    80s next week. Should be great @Wish
    Shut up and ski
    Wish