Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recent Sales of Private Water Ski Lakes

Hi all, any help on the following is greatly appreciated!

I am a commercial real estate appraiser in Salem, Oregon. I am currently working on appraising a private water ski lake.

Does anybody know of any recent (within the past two years but can go back farther if needed) private water ski sales?
Single owner/single user, preferably within either California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, or Idaho, or Montana (but can be from other states as well).

Even just a name of a lake/property that recently sold to look into would be great.

Thanks so much for the help on this!

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 27,442 Administrator
    Sunset Ranch - south of Sacramento just changed owners.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 940 Crazy Baller
    @daizuss what lake are you speaking of? I have skied in Oregon quite a bit.
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,503 Mega Baller
    Boris Laval bought a lake from Swiss Ski School a few years ago in Clermont, FL. Josephin and Michael Hirst purchased a lake in Clermont within the last year or so. Deana Mapple has a lake for sale in Orlando. There is a gravel pit for sale in Lake Alfred, FL that could easily become a ski lake.

Sorry these comps aren’t nearer to the location you need, but they’re the best I have.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 307 Crazy Baller
    Just sent you a PM.
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 518 Crazy Baller
    This property sold earlier this summer.

Sacramento Private Lake

This is the property @Horton noted
    Sunset Ranch
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,442 Administrator
    Sooner or later I will have a lake for sale in Newberry.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 251 Baller
    Lake Koreis in E Wa; try www.skipond.com for contact info
    Deanoski
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,835 Infinite Pandas
    Failed fish farm, active duck club with three courses on two parcels, 70 acres total for sale. Needs work. 1.3 million reduced to 799k. Southern California near Palm Springs, La Quinta, Coachella and the Salton Sea.

Contact me!

Eric
    dbaconaz
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 513 Crazy Baller
    its been awhile, but a lake off Wise Rd in Lincoln Ca, sold. And I am not sure if it changed hands , but it was up for sale, a lake in Clarksburg Ca. Both outside of Sactown but in different directions.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,629 Mega Baller
    This is a fascinating subject -
    Location must be a huge aspect, water rights, cost of water and evaporation, scenery. Local skiers?
    ReggieO
  • pudgyskierpudgyskier Posts: 22 Baller
    sent you a pm
    Pudgy Baller
  • nikandstevenikandsteve Posts: 52 Baller
    This is the one Horton is referring to. https://valensinskiranch.com/ formerly Sunset.
  • dbaconazdbaconaz Posts: 27 New Baller
    @eleeski do you have a name for this lake? Are they currently skiing on it at all or is it just a duck club now? Thank you for any information!!
    @dbaconaz We call it Mecca. Only one of the courses is in and skiable. I don't keep a boat there anymore and the guy who skis there regularly has had some boat issues so he's skiing with me at my lake nearby. He's only skied there a couple times this summer. I've not worked at keeping my other members engaged. It would not take much to get back to the glory days where it was the desert party ski lake (and got a nice feature in Waterski Magazine).

The fish farm operations will need a lot of work to resume.

The hunters love it!

Look at Google maps of the north end of the Salton Sea. It is the site with 2 lakes side by side running N/S with a dividing levee separating the two courses on the west lake.

Eric
    DaveDdbaconaz
    @eleeski that looks nice! It would be great to get that place up and running again!
  • ReggieOReggieO Posts: 75 Baller
    @eleeski What is the water quality like in those two lakes? Was it hard on your boat, when you were there?
    Thanks
    Keith
    @daizuss Where is this lake located? I'm from that area, ( Canby) and would like more info.
    Does the lake have a name? Where is it located at? Thank you.
  • HMan66HMan66 Posts: 15 Baller
    I'm really curious about this subject. What would drive someone to sell their lake? Is it expense to run/maintain? Is it residents selling and leaving? Not enough buyers for remaining lots or club member interest? The skigreatlakes.com website doesn't work but there's houses for sale there for $180K. And I was just looking at the ski lakes in Caldwell, Id (possibly moving there in a couple years) and now they're for sale too.
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,801 Mega Baller
    My guess is that the founding members of the ski site community are aging out of participation. As Baby Boomers age out of involvement, their ski sites will possibly transition ownership, especially if their children are not involved or have secured their own access elsewhere.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    HMan66Cooper_Trelawney
  • Not_The_PugNot_The_Pug Posts: 589 Solid Baller
    @HMan66 It may be hard to comprehend how much work and money goes into owning a ski lake. Whether it is an individual or HOA. Also if you are running a ski club, you get a lot of requests or complaints. Also as these owners get older, they are no longer skiing, but still maintaining. They may want to retire somewhere else. In the case of the lakes in Caldwell, Id, it is due to the owners getting older and the exit plan is to sell the lakes at some point. Also lakes don't sell quickly, so you might start advertising years before you actually plan to make a move.
    HMan66
    @ReggieO The water is fresh. It has some salt in it so it is a little tough on steel. I get good life out of my equipment without flushing or rinsing. I've let one of the lakes get low and the water there is dirty (lots of ducks and no flow). It needs some flushing.

@HMan66 I'm selling because I have another lake to ski at. The fish farm failed and the ski club fizzled. The duck hunters enjoy it but I don't have passion for hunting. It is an opportunity for someone to chase their dreams.

Eric
    HMan66jerrym
  • ReggieOReggieO Posts: 75 Baller
    @eleeski thanks for that info, I can always dream to find a way;)
    mbabiash
  • Paradise Lakes in Arvin, CA had a recent sale a few months ago.
    4811 Diamond Bay Dr, Arvin, CA 93203
  • DSPDSP Posts: 24 Baller
    I purchased one of 12 shares of two lakes last year in UT. Also a new lake was just completed this week not far from Provo, UT
    Killer
  • kingshreddkingshredd Posts: 181 Baller
    This one has been for sale for a few years I think, it’s just outside Chico Ca.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/5251-Bell-Rd-Chico-CA/13018057/
    dbaconaz
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 261 Solid Baller
    edited September 18
    Can’t believe no one thought of Cottonwood.
    Sold not too long ago and is actually up for sale again right now.
    Link
  • pudgyskierpudgyskier Posts: 22 Baller
    @dbaconaz sent you a pm.
    Pudgy Baller