Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can this ski be salvaged?

This is my 16yo sons Vapor Pro Build. His skiing became noticeably inconsistent after nationals and I had not looked at the ski until this morning.

Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***

Comments

• jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,295 Mega Baller
    Oh dang. That's going to take a lot of JB Weld, clamping, sanding/shaping and then I wouldn't trust it. I think I'd find out what Radar says.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    Texas6
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 968 Mega Baller
    Ouch! If it make you feel any better I have something like that on the front of my ski.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    Texas6
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 611 Crazy Baller
    I'm not sure I would be comfortable putting my kid on that ski, even after real careful JB Weld work. A new ski is considerably less than the cost of a moderate to significant injury from a ski break. Just my opinion though, maybe there are others here who would disagree with me.
    Texas6
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,957 Mega Baller
    @eleeski would say glue, clamp and go ski. I agree with @vtmecheng I would put him on a new ski. I would certainly reach out to Radar and see if they will help out somehow. Frequently the ski companies are pretty good about this kind of stuff.
    Mark Shaffer
    Texas6
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,308 Mega Baller
    Save for guests and beginers.
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    Texas6jimskiReggieO
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,164 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    What year is the ski?
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 931 Crazy Baller
    Damaged by the airlines by chance????
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    I assumed this would be the reaction. I will save it as a potential visitors ski, and a reason to ski shop this off season. Thanks for all the input.
  • storm34storm34 Posts: 67 Baller
    Sweet table!
    MDB1056aupatking
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,710 Mega Baller
    Nope ! Wall art now..
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

jimskiReggieO
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,846 Infinite Pandas
    The damage is way at the back of the ski. It doesn't carry skiing loads. It needs to be structural enough to hold the fin block in place and resist fin loading. Depending on why it failed, it could be safely repaired.

This might require laminating resin instead of JB Weld, adding some more carbon and some intricate clamping (like a mold). It's not an easy fix.

It's likely damage from storage or handling (airlines?). If so, I'd trust a repair.

On second thought, the ski is shot. Send it to me for proper disposal!

Eric
    Than_BoganskialexWishwilecoyote
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 269 Baller
    Is it possible for THAT level of damage to happen without any sort of impact? Wow......
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,436 Mega Baller
    Send to @eleeski for proper disposal. Seriously. Maybe he manages to put a college kid on it. But whatever he does is gonna be more satisfying than crunching it up in a garbage compactor.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    eleeskikurt
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,599 Crazy Baller
    Is it a 65”? I might be able to dispose of it properly for you.
    In gear. Hit It. Thank You!
    skialex
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,708 Mega Baller
    I'd be curious if all the fin box screws are the same length....
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 290 Crazy Baller
    Bummer. Any idea how that happened?
    @KRoundy - I do not know for certain, but based on the timing of his offside falling apart, I’m speculating that it was our return flight from nationals.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,614 Administrator
    sadly I wound not spend the time to try to fix it. It will likely never be right.
    Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Jody_Seal
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 260 Baller
    @Texas6 What kind of travel case was used?
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 611 Crazy Baller
    I strongly recommend that you give your ski a once over before each set. It just may save you one day.
    My son and I both had skis inside of a single SportTube. Inside of the SportTube, my ski was in a Goode soft ski bag with a FinFirkin, and his was in a ski sock without a FinFirkin. Bummer
  • JbucJbuc Posts: 3 Baller
    We could always use it at the 4th event ski bar, conveniently located by the 7th buoy on the mid-north lake.
    Texas6ski6jones
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,003 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Treat your boy to a new ski, no youngster wants to stand on the dock with something that has been glued together, also the opportunity to reinforce looking after your gear, one of the conditions attached to having a new ski.
    Personally I wouldn,t want to stand on it !

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

Wish
    @Jbuc,

You are just the creative inspiration I was looking for. When in doubt, saw it in half and make it into a bar.
    ski6jones
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,003 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ridiculous I know but , I have a sportstube 3, with expanding foam, I have made a insert which is two halves which is moulded to the shape of my ski which slides into the sportstube with the ski not on its side , but layyng flat and without bindings , can just about get a handle, line, shorts and gloves in and thats it, I always travel like this after having two 1500 dollar skis wrecked by the Airlines

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

Texas6
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,581 Mega Baller
    I've got a 67 that I'd sell in Austin.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 968 Mega Baller
    @Texas6 Will he need a new size come spring? He appears to be an inch taller every time I see him.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    @Carl,
    Good point, it all happens so fast at this age. Chad was. Ice enough to loan us a spare 66” 2016 Vapor to finish out the season. His Pro-Build is a 65”. If he skis well on the 66, I think I will know which way to go next spring.
    ski6jones