Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Relocating GT40 sea water strainer cup "thingy"

LOTWLOTW Posts: 120 Baller
Unfortunately had to winterize the boat last night as they are calling for -6C tonight, not sure what that is in F but water freezes at 0C. My boat is a '95 Nautique with the GT40 efi and the strainer cup is in such a bad spot to get at to remove or install. Has anyone relocated this thing for ease of removal? It's currently located under the muffler but I'm worried that relocating might hinder the sea water pumps ability to draw water. Pics please, THANKS!

Comments

• Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,050 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    As long as you don’t lengthen the overall hose length from hull intake to the RWP you are golden. IMHO, unless you are in a REAL swamp, get rid of the strainer. It has so many flaws and potential causes for high engine temps. Both my boats I eliminated the strainer and never had a problem.
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,050 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Keep in mind whenever you open the Mickey Mouse strainer you should get a new o ring. Now what is this word you speak of, “Winterize”?
    jetpilotg4
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,710 Mega Baller
    edited October 3
    Would not delete the water strainer. And no you don't have to change the gasket every time you clean it. Note just don't loose it.
    Problem with delete of this component is then your transmission cooler becomes your strainer, grawdue and organic materials in the input side can then cause over heating of both the transmission and engine.
    The 95 has a invertaflow muffler if the strainer and supply hoses are routed correctly that application is one of the more friendly ones for access.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

KillerBruce_Butterfield
  • DWDW Posts: 2,010 Mega Baller
    My suggestion - keep it as low as possible and minimize adding bends or elbows, raising it makes the raw water pump work harder to ingest its supply water. If you have a heater, same as what Jody noted on circulating 'gunk' through the core.