Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ski during business travel?

jepskijepski Posts: 24 Baller
I will spending more time for business travel in FL and while I love the climate, Florida has its own set of travel challenges. Travel isn't something I enjoy so....I've decided to try and make the most of my time there by incorporating some skiing into my business travels. I plan to build in a little extra time for a session or two when I'm close to a ski lake (which is pretty much every where it seems). I'm headed to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami in a few weeks and plan to take my ski along. Any other ballers incorporate business travel with a little skiing on the side? I'd love to hear your favorite Florida spots and any tips or tricks you'd share - Thanks!

Comments

• UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,177 Mega Baller
    Not to Florida but when I business travel to IL I usually drive up and ski with my friends and family in WI. And my sets on Radar Lake a few weeks back were on business travel too. Only works on occasion as it often means spending extra days or renting car when Uber would be easier.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,112 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    McGinness in Ft. Lauderdale...skied there a number of times. Greater Miami ski club in Miami...I got a pull there on a trip. Orlando has tons of options.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • DWDW Posts: 2,010 Mega Baller
    Years ago my boss watched me board a plane with a ski, oops.
    Actually he was very cool and wondered where I was going to catch a set as we were going to Daytona in February from a frozen Michigan. Turns out I caught a set in Lake Lloyd when they brought in a bunch of pros and had a tournament. Cool bucket list item.
    Other great spots - with Wade Cox on his lake, the old Goode Tech Center, Jack Travers lake, if you foot and this was years ago, Seipel's barefoot school (enjoy the alligators).
  • jepskijepski Posts: 24 Baller
    Thanks everyone - and @DW thankfully my boss is a skier (although out this summer with knee injury), but work comes first. I've already changed appts with McGinnis due meeting schedule changes. I get a free checked bag on Delta so no additional cost to my employer to fly the ski, just the hassle of dealing with it. But I've flown golf clubs many times so not too different - and way more fun! Thinking if I get to ski a few times a month Nov-Mar it's worth dragging the ski along. I would love to find a customer that likes to ski, still working on that, LOL.
    mfjaegersr
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 475 Crazy Baller
    edited October 9
    As someone who is on a plane 2-5 times a month for work I wish I could swing something like this. I am envious of all those that can ski while traveling for work. It would certainly help my sets/year number that has gone way down the tube since changing jobs.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,115 Mega Baller
    @jepski I think you have that backwards. You need to plan business around your skiing when travelling!!
    jepskiswc5150
  • SethroSethro Posts: 266 Solid Baller
    I do it often when traveling for work in my company vehicle, but I've never taken a ski on a work trip requiring air travel.
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 656 Crazy Baller
    Get a sport tube and start doing it with air travel if you can. There is very little hassle and you will have a great time.
    jepski
    @lcarnes - that's awesome, bikini under the suit - sounds like something my wife would do! @BlueSki I'm going to order a Sportube 3, that's what my co-worker uses (he has the Western US and shared that he combines biz travel/ski). It would be cool to do some form of skiing/lessons or just socializing used as a retreat or outing, similar to TopGolf which now seems to be all the rage for biz entertainment.
    BlueSki
  • 6_Buoys6_Buoys Posts: 12 New Baller
    I've skied on work trips when traveling alone. Not when I have to share the rental car. Both in Orlando and Lauderdale, easy in easy out. @jepski You don't need the Sport tube 3 if it's just you and one ski. I have the 3 and it carries 2 skies and all the associated gear. Also, tie the pin to the tube to help TSA not lose it when they open it up.
    @6_Buoys i was looking at the series 3 b/c that’s what my friend uses. Not sure which other Sportube will fit a ski with Radar vector binding - and- my wife also skis and there could be a trip that she joins me, open to suggestions
  • KillerKiller Posts: 391 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    If you want to get better at skiing or you just can't get enough, go ski. Do what you have to do!
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,533 Mega Baller
    You are thinking about it the wrong way: think of it as doing a bit of business during ski travel.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    ALPJrjayski
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,112 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I've traveled with a sportube3 a bunch. Sure it's got extra space if you have one ski in there...I throw in some towels and of course my handle, vest, shorty suit, a small duffel bag. Made it easy not much for carry-on. One tourney I carried on nothing...everything in the tube.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,239 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    In your golden years, you'll never say you wish you spent more time working and less time skiing! Good plan toting your ski along.
    Scott Calderwood
    Eljaybeebf`
    edited October 19
    Sportube 3 arrived yesterday! And set up a meeting in Pensacola over to Tallahassee area 11/4 so I might have to check out Pickos on that trip. I’ve read of TSAs struggle with Tube closure and have tethered the pin plus a carabiner through the handle as a backup.

GWaterski
  • GWaterskiGWaterski Posts: 40 Baller
    @jepski View from New VRBO in the Orlando / Clermont area, message me for details!
    Rainbow over the slalom course -