Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long to you use the same rope?

HortonHorton Posts: 25,687 Administrator
edited March 2011 in Skis Fins Bindings
I believe that training on old ropes is not like training on new ropes. New Ropes (Tournament ropes) stretch and are springy.

In the old days - it was just not safe to ski with a 3 month old rope. Now I ski with the same rope for almost a year. Anyone have insight on how long new ropes really last. If you do not see fray... when do change ropes?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Comments

• 94009400 Posts: 565 Crazy Baller
    I don't find a whole lot of springy in Masterlines after the first set. I change every year because I hate THAT CRASH. Often times they'll break in the middle of the 39 section with no visual signs (or very little). That reminds me....time for a new rope.
  • ralral Posts: 1,691 Mega Baller
    We replace the club rope 3 times a year. We put roughly 1,000 sets per rope (95 % of the skiers use the club rope. Not me, though). We change it when fraying is really an issue in the handle loop.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,687 Administrator
    I ran 3500 balls on the same rope last year ( I think) It looks good but I am replacing it.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• kstateskierkstateskier Posts: 524 Solid Baller
    Better safe than sorry...  $80 for a new rope is alot better than 3 months healing broken/cracked ribs or dental work if and when you smack yourself in the grill pulling across both wakes! 
    KStateSkier
    Bradley Beach - Lone Rock Ski Club, Missouri
    2004 Malibu Response LXI, 2014 D3 Helix 66"
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,644 Mega Baller
    I tend to replace once a year and in New England we obviously don't ski as much as some of you. It does only cost $60 or so. I had a handle break with no visible damage a couple of years ago and it hurt like hell.
    Mark Shaffer
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,202 Mega Baller
    I start fresh and replace mid season. I think it helps avoid tennis elbow. Also I think using a radius handle helps the elbows.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,977 Mega Baller
    Brenda's ropes, replace when they're out of tolerance, or more than 2 season's use
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • Bud ManBud Man Posts: 254
    I look for wear on the inside of the rope. For some reason there seems to be more with the dark color sections. I guess they absorb more heat from the sum. I believe the sharp edges of the rope cut the inside as the rope flexes.
    I am using one of Brenda's ropes. It looks good but has to be a season old... don't exactly remember.

• RBRB Posts: 65 Baller
    edited March 2011
    Using a Brenda model as well. Used the same one all summer last year. Some fraying towards the handle section.

Around 3000 balls on last years model. (like this measurement stick)

My current version just arrived last week.  Got another handle as well, have a back up, for the back up boat now.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,743 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    New rope each year. I don't think I have broken one since the old 60 strand days. I did have a ML handle break at the end of the season 2 years ago. Gave way right where the rope meets the handle on the top side (right palm up) at the right hand gate ball. ([email protected]) Did I mention it was the end of my season???
  • konakona Posts: 529 Baller
    Every year new rope and handle for me.
    Bob Boyle - I am my girls father
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,898
    I watched Mueller pile it into the first wake at 39off last year on a year and a half old rope that was just starting to show some frays.  That ended his skiing for about a month. It snapped clean in the mainline section about 18 inches from the handle loop.  1 or 2 ski ropes a year at 60 bucks is worth the insurance. 
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,379 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    We put about 400 sets on our Masterlines and then replace them. 

JTH - you know where you can get a new rope, right?
    Joe Darwin
  • DWDW Posts: 1,853 Mega Baller
    Keep in mind that any new item does not have 100% reliability, so there always is the potential for an infant mortality failure.  Just a reminder, not an indicator to not change ropes.  So inspect a new rope carefully prior to use to eliminate the obvious.
    Joe,

New ropes come from my basement.... or from you.

Stretching in new ropes today, even ran -15 for the first time in a while. I've got a couple of older Brenda ropes available, (switch length) that are still in good shape, $25 plus freight, email [email protected] if interested.
    edited March 2011
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,053 Baller
    I get several seasons out of a rope. I buy ropes and handles in pairs. I usually keep 4 lines and handles, and rotate their usage from day to day. I find the sun does more damage than usage. I always untwist and coil them after each use and put them in the garage out of the sun. I have been using straightline ropes and handles. I like the TLS radius which they quit making. I bought two shadow handles 1.02'' they work pretty good so far. They are made in China, so I will buy Masterline, USGear, or Performance Pure next time. I bought a Performance Pure 8 loop. I will be putting it to the test this summer.
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
    just playing with image insertion, sorry for redundant photos