Ben Favret

BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,847
edited June 2011 in Skis Fins Bindings
Anybody hear about Ben Favret? Heard he broke a ski a week or so ago and tweaked his ankle and it turned out to be broken? Coming off last years achilles, that's gotta be a bummer.
Shane "Crash" Hill

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 25,042 Administrator
    Yea I heard the same thing,....

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,459 Crazy Baller
    What ski broke and why?
  • acmxacmx Posts: 222 Baller
    nano, heard it broke between the bindings
  • skibugskibug Posts: 1,961
    It was about a month ago. I also heard of one or two more Nano's breaking. Anyone else here of any.
    Bob Grizzi
  • 94009400 Posts: 562 Crazy Baller
    Best reason I can think of for using Fogman bindings. That thick plate is a little protection for ski breakage.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 760 Crazy Baller
    Radar sequence plate is nice for that too.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    edited June 2011
    I think safety is more a function of how your binding releases, not the plate. I love the Radar bindings. They are safe because I can release, not because of the plate. (I guess the plate helps but it is not the big reason)

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• MCskiFreakMCskiFreak Posts: 317 Baller
    I really do not see how Goode can continue building his skis with prepregs when he knows that delamination and breakage are a very real possibility.
    Matt Welton - Resident boat nerd
  • 94009400 Posts: 562 Crazy Baller
    Just to be clear, I don't like how Fogman's release in a stuff the tip situation....my point was that the thick plate offers protection and maybe even prevents a ski form breaking between the bindings.
  • MCskiFreakMCskiFreak Posts: 317 Baller
    Did his ski break between the bindings or just in front of the plate?
    Matt Welton - Resident boat nerd
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 760 Crazy Baller
    What 9400 said. The plate will help keep your feet together if the ski breaks between bindings. A guy I ski with had his ski break between the bindings. Fortunately the two halves stayed together. He was on Animals at the time (I think).
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,876
    That is a bummer. What binding does Ben Favret use?

- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,847
    The worry is not that the two halfs of a ski stay together, but when they do and the front half folds back up it wrecks the front ankle.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• ralral Posts: 1,677
    "Carbon NANOTubes (pictured to the right) are no bigger than 1 billionth of an inch and help make a lighter, stronger and faster water ski."

I wonder what do they mean by stronger. Maybe smell?
    Rodrigo Andai
    I just spoke to Ben. he has a twisted ankle but otherwise the story is false

Good to hear that it's only a twisted ankle.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,876
    So no broken ski?
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
  • AggieSkierAggieSkier Posts: 200 Baller
    edited June 2011
    Shane,

Quit reading SkiFly ;-)... It is the TMZ of watersports and they bash BOS. (joke)
    I understand the ski broke; just not his ankle.
    Bob Grizzi
    edited June 2011
    I do not know about the ski but he laughed his ass off when I told him that I heard he was in a wheelchair.

I was told the ski broke and that jammed the reflex release.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• RogerRoger Posts: 1,452 Crazy Baller
    Here are Ben's comments on Facebook about the ankle:

"The rumors of by injury have been greatly exaggerated.
    While it is true that I re injured the same foot as the Achilles injury about 4 weeks ago by tearing the all the ligaments in the ankle and a bad bone bruise of the ball and socket of the ankle, I am not in a cast or wheelchair as the rumor went from about 4 different phone calls this weekend. Beat up but grinding it out."

Hope that helps bring the rumors in line.
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    Is he back on a Nano?
    Bob Grizzi
    Not sure about that. The one round he skied at Okeeheelee on May 14, he was not on a Nano, but that was only a week or so after breaking one, so he might not have had time to get a replacement.
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,047 Baller
    I am glad Ben is okay. I have seen him ski on the Big Dawg webcast. He gave me some good pointers in 1995 when he was at Mapple's ski school I was struggling to get through 15 off at 36MPH at the time. I could run it, but not consistently. I always had to start at 32MPH,34 MPH, and then 36MPH. He and Andy really helped me master the gate approach which was the key for me, and showed me how to get wider. Two seasons later I started getting into 32off just about every time. Since I ski in Pennsylvania and the season is short compared to the south, I hate to see anyone miss ski time..
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,047 Baller
    I can tell you I would never put my foot in a hardshell boot. My cousin is a national level competitor. He sees alot of people get hurt on those.
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
    edited June 2011
    I don't know where your cousin hangs out, but I ski at Okeeheelee which is one of the busiest ski sites anywhere and the injury numbers are way higher on rubber here...
    Truth is: Ben hurt his ankle competing at a midget bowling contest. The story about skiing is just a cover up.

Does he use a two hole or a three hole midget?
    Bob Grizzi
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,144 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Do they come in three hole???
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!