Very Deep and Very Short

HortonHorton Posts: 25,042 Administrator
edited June 2011 in Skis Fins Bindings
Over the years, I have heard a number of times about Pro Skiers running fin #s nothing like the rest of us. Very Deep and Very Short. Any of Ballers go down this road?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Comments

• RogerRoger Posts: 1,452 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2011
    I tried Lucky Lowes' settings on my Goode before. He ran his fin .090 shorter and .090 deeper than stock. It seemed to work about the same as the stock settings to me; maybe a slightly tighter turn. I run nearly stock settings on my Fischer these days.
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,042 Administrator
    I am talking like 2.55 + deep...

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,847
    Mueller was running 2.560 deep and 7.09 inch long on all his Goodes until he got on the 9900 in September. Damn thing was a boat rudder.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• bmiller3536bmiller3536 Posts: 298 Baller
    I have gone as deep as 2.500 just to see what it felt like, I felt as long as I ran it shallow it skied ok
    Brad Miller
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,452 Crazy Baller
    Lucky's numbers were not that deep. 2.449 (stock) plus .090 = 2.539.
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    [Deleted User]
  • skiepskiep Posts: 268 Solid Baller
    6.858 2.475 .711 9900 SL slot fin 7.116 2.560 .200?? Mid Ride 6.777 2.50 .710 Nano Twist 6.755?? 2.445 .725
  • SMSM Posts: 527 Crazy Baller
    Lucky set up my fin like that once. He set it up as deep as it would go and as short as it would go and jammed it all the way to the back of the slot. It wasn't bad, if anything, it was less sensitive to water temp change than a normal setup.
    Time spent on the water is time well spent.
    [Deleted User]
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,042 Administrator
    I am worried that you guys let Lucky tweak your fin....

• MarcoMarco Posts: 1,394 Crazy Baller
    When I first got my Fischer, I was running stock, and was having problems overtuning on my onside and tip rise on the offside. Jason Parades had me try his #'s, 6.982, 2.53, 7.0 dft. It was money, and I kept it there for the 4 years I was on it.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,723 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Yes. The first Goode I ever rode (1996) was set up "wrong" with typical fin numbers for most skis. (ie 2.500+, 6.920ish tips, 0.725) I liked it and skied that way not realizing that the factory numbers were 2.450 and super long, super far back. Will Asher was about the same for the 1-2 seasons he was on the 9500 as well.

This worked for me for the 9100-9700 series skis. I have ridden the 9800/9900 skis with the same numbers, but they did not seem to work as well. I just tried something close to the current 9900 factory numbers last week and found that they worked well. I guess I can't be hard headed all the time!
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,801
    Since my tail on the Nano started skipping out, I set it up with the Sans Rival Numbers 6.750 2.50 .73. Only one set at 32 an 35, but it seemed better. Will find out tomorrow if I try a 38, where all the problems showed up.
    May go shorter and deeper if it does.
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,903 Mega Baller
    I have tried 6.910 and 2.530 and thought it was okay if I was nice and smooth, but when I had to scramble, it was too much fin resistance to kick the tail around when needed. Went back to my 6.870 and 2.453. I know of a Big Dawg skier who used to run 2.550 on his 9700 and older Goodes (custom taller fin), and is now 2.455 on 9900. Also shortened fin to just slightly longer than stock.

I think the pros get such incredible angle that they run the short fin to get slung out better, but mere mortals need fin length to get angle, especially on the offside.
    [Deleted User]
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,723 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Generally, I believe that the really good open skiers are standing in a much more neutral position into their toe (and heel) sides than the average guy or girl. When looking at the pictures from Cottonwood I was really impressed by how CP, Trent, and Charles were standing tall, relaxed, and in the middle of the ski coming into their toe side turns. The first time I ever watched Will from the boat, the thing that impressed me most was how he stood in the middle of the ski into his toe side. There is no "defensive" back footing into the buoy like us mortals.