Malibu TXi

KrleeKrlee Posts: 462 Baller
edited August 2011 in Other Stuff
Has anyone skied behind the new boat that can give some feedback? Especially the wake at 30 - 34 mph.

Comments

• rq0013rq0013 Posts: 536 Baller
    A few minutes ago I talked to a friend who had just skied behind the TXI that pulled the open. He skis between 32-36mph at 22' off and he said he couldnt tell a difference with the wake with a full tank of gas. He also said he didnt like the way it drove. He drives an 08 MC 197.
    Rob Quetschke
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,522 Administrator
    I worked on one of the dev boats this spring. I have not seen the final product but .... what I worked on with Malibu was better wakes at 22 off 34.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,806
    My ski partner skied at the Malibu Open and said those two boats were super soft feeling, even with 6.0 engines.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• Ham_WallaceHam_Wallace Posts: 534 Solid Baller
    I HEAR THE 6.0 IS THE WAY TO GO!
    Am I a jumper that wants to be a slalom skier? Or a slalom skier that wants to be a jumper?
  • skibugskibug Posts: 1,882 Crazy Baller
    Is the TXI already an aproved tow boat or does it not matter since it was not a record tournament?
    Bob Grizzi
    The Malibu was an R tournament. I'm sure they just asked for an exception.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• Old MS AccoutOld MS Accout Posts: 2,117 Baller
    edited August 2011
    It is just another yacht that the big 3 keep pushing on us. Skis great, drives so so but it is way too big for what it is used for.
    If you want to spend the day in the boat, fine, its great for that. Great for resale to the wallys.
    Sucks for a tool needed to pull 3 event skiing on a 2000 x 250 lake.
  • Chad_ScottChad_Scott Posts: 357 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    MS, I have to disagree, I think the boat drives and tracks much better than the previous LXI's. The hull is much wetter, similar to the CC. I have heard several CC's owners that have even complimented the wakes (hard to believe) My son starts at 24.9 mph and goes up to 30 the wakes are much improved at the slower speeds.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,912 Mega Baller
    someone needs to post a picture of said "yacht"
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,149 Mega Baller
    Yes I would have to disagree also. The boat that I drove was superrior to the LXI sitting next to it. I had a chance to ski the boat 22 off tru 32 off and the wake was rather nice in comparison to it's neighbor on the lift. Driving it, again their was more hull in the water and it drove well with Reggie on the string. The 6 liter made the package far better.
    Being a Nautique guy I think it is great that the other company's are commiting to three event skiing again and are thinking about the skier and not about multi purpose boats. This brings out competition amoung the manufacturers to build a better mouse trap. Malibu did a little home work and bettered their product. Keep the roll bars off the boat, offer it in a closed bow it would be a very potent package.
    However I will keep my Nautique !
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

edited August 2011
    My comments were not that the boat is not great to ski and drive but geared towards the big 3 making boats that are much bigger then needed. The 200 is great but it is too big. The TKI is too big and the 197 is too big.
    They are all good boats that serve a purpose. I just want a 17 foot CB boat/tool with no bling that can be used as a club boat. Small with sports car feel. There may not be a huge market but there is a market for somthing like this. How do you spell yacht?
    Realistically, if a company can't guarantee 200+ boats a year, they won't be able to justify development costs. They build the boats that the masses want. For the last 5 years the masses have wanted bigger boats and that's what you've gotten. A 17 footer is a pie in the sky dream. That said, MC told us three weeks ago that the replacement hull for the 197 is 6" shorter.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,653
    I still think you can special order a new Response LX which is small and light with a great flat wake.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Crypto Investing pays for my water ski addiction
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,413 Crazy Baller
    I spoke with Becky when she got back from driving the Malibu Open and she was impressed with how well the boat drove. I get what MS was saying about the need for a smaller leaner boat; but I don't see it happening (IMO).
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
  • eyepeelereyepeeler Posts: 126 Baller
    I am with Scott, bring back the Response LX or upgrade the SV23 Diamond hull on the LX with the TXI hull.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,912 Mega Baller
    wish I could buy a promo boat in the $28K range, blingless like the MC "Sportstar" from the late 90's
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • Nick SullivanNick Sullivan Posts: 676 Baller
    MS, Why don't you step up and buy a Centurion Carbon Pro? Sounds like its right up your alley.
    Could be the next boat but that is only due to price. The Carbon Pro is too big also.
    Shane,
    CC was selling over 200 196s per year. They are just afraid that a small boat would cut into the 200 sales. I would think that they are not selling over 200, V drive sport 200s and they make those. If Scott is correct, Malibu will sell you an LX and they dont sell 200 of those.
    Bring back the 196
    The 196 isn't a 17 ft boat either. Make up your mind here.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,838 Mega Baller
    Anybody know the beam on the TXI? Is it the same as the LXI?
    Mark Shaffer
    Right now I would take a new 196 but smaller is better.

"Bring back the 196" is another MS trademark
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 71 Baller
    MS,
    As we discussed at Regionals, the 196 is a terrible 3-event boat. The worst wake every for trick, and a pretty good bump for jump at 35.4mph. Well I would agree that we dont need huge boats on private lakes, we still have to be able to sell them when its time for an upgrade. Also, when boats were much smaller, late 70's early 80's, they also had huge nasty wakes. I guess they found a compromise somewhere with decent size boat with decently small wake. Just my $0.02
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,546
    I sold my 09 196 to my ski partner and still drive it virtually every day. It doesn't compare in tracking or wake to my 200 with the 409. Pulled Scoke behind it yesterday, and he thought it was one of the best pulls ever. No surging from ZO, and he was using C-2.
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • I fell in love with the 200 last year at Chet Raley's. I've owned a former promo '01 LX for 10 years and the 200 wake is WAY better at 32 and 34 MPH, 15 and 22-off. I complained to my dealer about the dirty little secret that the LXi (while great for shortliners) throws us "women", if you listen to Horton, under the bus. I was hot to buy a 200 promo when Paul Singer from Malibu called me to say I should hold off a year and he would have something to make me happy. I skied the TXI yesterday at a clinic with Seth Stisher (what a COOL guy). The TXI is the real deal! Straight from them--same top half as the LXi screwed onto the new hull. I'm officially a 32 MPH skier this year andand it is the TXi or 200 for me!
    Chef, same beam as an LXI. 93.5"
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• That's what Malibu says
  • ShaneH, Sorry to jump in. I read a ? that weren't there. Our set got rained out--wrecked my day.
  • Ham_WallaceHam_Wallace Posts: 534 Solid Baller
    I like em' all. Horton is right. MS is wrong. (always) Jody and I get to drive em' all. The 196 was a great ride providing it had a windshield that opened. Otherwise when driving tricks, it was like putting you in a pressure cooker. One of my ski buddies bought an 08 and we told him up front, he wouldn't get pulled with his boat without a windshield that opened. He wants to sell his stock windshield because he listened.
    MS, time to take up jumping. We'll teach Mrs. MS to drive. Nautiques, MC's, Mal's, Cent's, whatever. The old response LX was a great ride. The bigger boats are easy to re-sell. You obviously are a private lake dude. Go to the "Big" Lake with 5 skiers, skis, coolers, surfboards and other water toys in a 196 or closed bow anything. Take 2 sets each and hang out all day. No dock to put your gear on, just "Lake People" and a boat. Bigger is better! Jody, the roll bar helps the resale and bangs your head occasionally. I guess if we skied on a private pond and were not "Lake People" just" people that go to the lake", we'd have a bare bones lake tractor, but we don't and bigger is better!
    Come on down to the "Big Lake" and swerve with us! Maybe just free ski and hang out. It'll take you back to "What brought us here"!
    Ask Sully, Wade, Marcus or any of the guard, they'll tell you! (you really don't need to take up jumping). "If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough"!
    Am I a jumper that wants to be a slalom skier? Or a slalom skier that wants to be a jumper?
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough!"

DAMN! That's been my problem all along! lol
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Big lake people can buy big boats. dock skiers can buy (should have option to buy) small boats. I free skied on big water for 35 years and didnt have a taste of small lake until I was 38.
    I am not bashing the wakes or the boats, I love skiing them all. I just want the option of a smaller boat and could care less about bling.