D3 Nomad RCX

PT MikePT Mike Posts: 163 Baller
edited February 2012 in Skis Fins Bindings
Long story short, I'm still on an old Nomad w/ the white top, loved it from day one. A new ski is not in the budget this year. Found a hardly used RCX i'm going to demo next week @ okeeheelee. I know the white top is a little long in the tooth but can anybody shed a little light on the differences or similarities of the two? I'm a men 4 skier, usually get halfway through 32 off at tourneys. Thanks

Comments

• jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,379 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Difference? HUGE! The RCX was my favorite D3. The white top Nomad? Not so much.
    Joe Darwin
  • TWBTWB Posts: 162 Baller
    Never skied the white top. I've tried three top skis from different manufacturers in the last year. Each of them for at least two weeks, one of them for two months, and I keep going back to the RCX. I even skied two sets my new Fusion last week and have already swapped the bindings back to the RCX until I can ski it more regularly. I've always been able to get right back on the RCX and ski well on the first set.
    Tom Burnham
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,945 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    RCX rocks. It's my back-up ski now that I'm on a Razor, but I pulled it back out and ran right thru 35 off and mid 38 off immediately last season.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • ralral Posts: 1,697 Mega Baller
    @jdarwin, until the Fusion, or still your favorite?
    Rodrigo Andai
    Ral - still my favorite. Only a few sets on the Fusion last fall. Still need to dial it in but you may be right!
    Joe Darwin
  • PT MikePT Mike Posts: 163 Baller
    I like how forgiving the white top is. I'm hoping for the same in the RCX. I'm down to 195 lbs. From 210 lbs. Last year so I think I can handle a ski with a little more get up and go. Any recommendations on fin settings or just go with the factory settings?
    My last trip to okee I saw a few RCX's. Not to many for sale on Skiitagain, I'm looking foward to next week.
    Fin numbers: 6.910 tips / 2.505 / .765 flat / 7 deg wing.

These were for a 68". For a 67" - 6.905 / 2.505 / .750 / 7 deg wing.
    Joe Darwin
  • jlittlejlittle Posts: 252 Baller
    RCX... the one ski I've kept over the last few years. I actually skied it last fall while I was "between skis". I still like it and may end up riding it if the current ski doesn't work out.
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,059 Baller
    I have a 2008 RCX. All factory settings. Worked perfect for me right out of the box..
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
  • DustyDusty Posts: 315 Baller
    Have skied both. Comfortable on the 06', but the RCX has a WAY more aggressive turn on both sides-
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,059 Baller
    Is there anyone out there who has been on both and O'Brien Elite, and a D3 Nomad RCX? If so how do they compare to each other?
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,747 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    The RCX is rock solid stable, forgiving, and slower feeling. The Elite is sensitive to body position, doesn't like back foot pressure, and faster feeling. It is a great ski... if you stay in the sweet spot.
    Just got back from Okee. Looks like the RCX is a keeper! Like Mr. Jones said rock solid stable & forgiving, just not terribly fast.