Who Remembers When Bob LaPoint Jumped?

MBD3MBD3 Posts: 2 Baller
edited November 2015 in Jump
Am I the only one who remembers when Bob LaPoint was one of the best jumpers in the world. He was so fun to watch
and even tougher to ski against. Here is a shot I took of here many moons ago.

skihartandjules9400RonosterMuskokaKy

Comments

• jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,145 Crazy Baller
    Cool pic. I remember him taking a couple of brutal out the fronts towards the end of his jumping career. Story was he bruised his heart on one where he took a ski to the chest. Ow. I saw one of these falls at Bell Acqua Lake 1. Early '80s.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    Ronoster
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,149 Mega Baller
    edited May 2012
    Anyone ever see the great outdoors?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095253/fullcredits#cast
    check out Stunts at the lower part of the page.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• HortonHorton Posts: 23,516 Administrator
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,149 Mega Baller
    Steve-O and I just watched that one! great vid.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• thagerthager Posts: 3,787 Mega Baller
    Scary part is I remember when Kris jumped!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • 94009400 Posts: 553 Solid Baller
    Love that video!
    I may still have one of those old Hexcel jackets at my Mom's place. The original thin slalom jacket!
    @thager - you should rock that vest with a red, white, and blue stars and stripes speedo all summer. You're going to need to grow a mustache and let your hair grow out, too, assuming that's not you right now.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,769 Mega Baller
    I believe he might have taken Nationals at Tivloi Gardens in Michigan, maybe 1978 or 1979. I think @Ham Wallace was there jumping as well, I just remember his name for some reason.
    The big deal watching back then was Ricky McCormick doing a flip on two trick skis.
    I think I had just run the slalom course for the first time that summer and me and a friend went to watch Nationals, and that was our first exposure to tournaments.
  • skihartskihart Posts: 347 Baller
    The best part of that pic is the size of his skis!!! They are toothpicks compared to todays jumpers.
    No wonder they are going 230+ now......what was the record back then?
    @ jimbrake Mustache I can do. Hair, not so much!!
  • MBD3MBD3 Posts: 2 Baller
    That was still back in the day that Wayne Grimdich still owned the record at 180'. Most of our jump skis were 72" to 74". Lucky Lowe, Bob LaPoint , and Ricky McCormick flirted with that record for several years. Lucky actually came the closest at the Masters popping off one that was 178'.
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,806
    Think about what a guy like Sammy Duvall could do behind a 409hp ZO boat on 94 inch skis. He was KILLING it to 220ft on 72-78 inch skis behind 240-275hp boats.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• NandoNando Posts: 339 Baller
    I recall in March of '79 sitting next to Bob (part of a big group of skiers) in the video lounge of the Aspen State Teachers College (great name for a bar, eh?), where they showed sports videos and they showed the shot of his fall where he bruised his heart, then again in slow mo, and again. Great reaction from the crowd and no one in the crowd who wasn't part of our group had a clue he was sitting right there. He just leaned over and said, "Anyone who would do that must be nuts."
    MattP
  • RichRich Posts: 235 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Remember Mike Graser? That was a great jumper of that era. Always cut really late, NO FEAR! Also John Steinbuch. I see John in my yoga classes.
    DonnaGraser123
  • DonnaGraser123DonnaGraser123 Posts: 1 New Baller
    Mike Graser was badass yes Rich latest one to cut he was a champion,RIP Michael we love you Donna and your son Anthony.
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 392 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @jimbrake , @Nando that fall was at Groveland in '77, I used that fall to end a film I produced for MasterCraft on their pro skiers. The Hall of Fame should have a copy of it, as do I.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,195 Crazy Baller
    both bob lapoint and brother kris suffered serious injuries from jumping with kirs's bothering him for many years after. but if the story i was told is accurate brad lapoint may have gotten the most serious jumping injury of all of them. any one who knows that story will know what i'm talking about and the rest of you may not even know there *was* a brad lapoint.
    @mwetskier - I skied with Brad some in the early to mid '80s. Hung out with him back during the crazy days. I don't know the Brad injury story so do tell....
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,195 Crazy Baller
    @jimbrake -for the sake of decorum lets just say that he probably learned the great value of wet suit shorts for jumping after having spent a long time recovering from an intestinal parasite that he did not swallow. at least thats the story i was told. . .
  • LLUSALLUSA Posts: 206 Solid Baller
    @mmmosley899 that fall was at Groveland at the US Team Trials he skied in the worlds two months later. Boats in the 80's were not made to handle Bob LaPoint's.
    LLUSA, Sr Driver, AWSA Board of Directors, Towboat Committee,Lake Owner
    @mwetskier - lovely. First time I ever jumped at Suyderhoud's in 1976 I jumped in my Hang Ten orange nylon trunks. Blew them completely apart, but avoided the consequences. What a fun thread this is!
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,286 Historical Baller
    With his weight and speed, Bob would be the one to find the "Mystery Screw" at one of the Tour
    sites. The local skiers would insist every year that they'd found & fixed it, but they hadn't. We
    finally found it, not right at the waterline, but 2-3 feet up.
  • GregDavisGregDavis Posts: 273 Solid Baller
    Look at Bobs arms. the dude had some guns. I pulled him through 38 off with a 240 hp 1 to 1. on a 1500 foot lake. In 1979 or 1980. lol that was scary. I also instructed Bob how to ride a dirt bike. The deal was, I would teach him how to ride, he would teach me how to ski. Well, he was a good student, and was ripping it on a dirt bike in no time. He was not a good teacher, as I never did get any good at slalom skiing. lol. lot's of good memories riding with B
    dvskiing
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,023 Baller
    I have Tony Krupa's book Ski Tips, and there is a photo of Bob Lapoint jumping..
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
  • CParrish43CParrish43 Posts: 38 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Finished #1 in the world in slalom and jump in the same year , only men's skier to do that to this date
    BulldogMattPDooSPXRAWSki
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,286 Historical Baller
    Gary Warren can confirm, but I think that Bob was the final jump distance record holder at the old
    Marine World park in Redwood City. 178' @ 5 1/2 ft? When the tournament re-started at the
    new park in Vallejo, they had more room. Didn't need whip-type approach. Went to 6' ramp.
  • NandoNando Posts: 339 Baller
    mmosley889, yup pretty sure it was your film. mwetskier- looks like BLP is wearing the famous Turbo shorts. They (or one of their shorties) were what everyone had to have for about a year when I first started. No enemas with them, but no padding either.
  • JKwakehouseJKwakehouse Posts: 2 New Baller
    Look at Mastercrafts most recent IG post:
  • wskierwskier Posts: 118 Baller
    Back in 1979,I was lucky enough to ski with Kris & Bob LaPoint, Cathy Marlow and Deena Brush(Now Mapple) with there Maha Master Craft at Berkeley aquatic. Got to keep time. Bobs spray was hitting the back of the boat at 38' ran it like 3 times. That's when the record was 4 at 38 for years. They were testing the yellow MAHA. Funny part about it was Cathy Marlow was skiing on Kris's ski and getting into 32 off she wore double socks. Bob and Deena also took some jump sets. Pretty cool when your seventeen and watching your idol. Also Deena was driving Bob and what ever time he ask for 15.9,16.0 he got who needs zero off.

slow