Washing a neoprene vest

TRSTTRST Posts: 23 Baller
edited June 2012 in Mostly Slalom
Any tips or tricks on washing a neoprene vest. My 13 year old son's vest is getting pretty ripe. I tried fabreze and now I am considering washing it in a front loader on the gentle cycle. The vest is an O'Neill CGA.

Comments

• DWDW Posts: 1,579 Crazy Baller
    I wash neo stuff with a load of towels, keeps the neo trapped in the water. Other option is to hand wash. There is also neo soap products, available from a dive shop.
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,816
    I destroyed a brand new Eagle vest last year when a corner got caught in the washer. It spun it around and around, twisting it up and finally tore it. Now, I just throw my vest in the pool when it starts to smell. Chlorine kills everything! :)
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• jwroblewjwroblew Posts: 143 Baller
    I wash my vest and other neoprene stuff in a front loader on normal with towels. No problems for the last 5 years.
  • ski4xtcski4xtc Posts: 165 Baller
    @TRST, I soak and wash all my neoprene stuff in my sink using Woolite. After about 15 minutes of soaking, I gently "knead" them for maybe 30 seconds to a minute max. After rinsing, I sometimes then soak in a small amount of Downy for a few minutes. I found this method to be easy on the water clothes and keeps them smelling much better.
  • Ham_WallaceHam_Wallace Posts: 534 Solid Baller
    My Eagle is getting quite ripe also. I have found that soaking in a bathtub with a dash of Simple Green will do the trick.
    Am I a jumper that wants to be a slalom skier? Or a slalom skier that wants to be a jumper?