What is your "realistic hope" to add to your buoy count in your life?

Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,905 Mega Baller
edited June 2012 in Technique & Theory
Feel free to interpret the question as either tournament or non-tournament, whichever one you focus on more.

What is your "realistic hope" to add to your buoy count in your life? 92 votes

0. My peak is well behind me.
4%
otisgEd_Johnsondbski[Deleted User] 4 votes
0. I'm just hoping to get back to my peak.
9%
blockskiepanimalA_BAlvin_NeffJohnNh2oskiTylerRMickeyThompson 9 votes
0. I'm on a plateau and likely to remain here.
1%
thager 1 vote
+0.5 to +1
0%
+1.5 to +2
8%
MarcoSteven HainesKelvinThan_Boganjdarwineyepeelerski4xtcjackski 8 votes
+2.5 to +6
28%
HortonDaveDskibugscotchipmanRichardDoaneRpc29jimbrakebf`hogexpressdave2ballh20yaraynNick Sullivanskinutmacgjohnsoncp6ballsRazorskier1Pat M 26 votes
1 to 2 passes
25%
[Deleted User]Dekeski6jonesrodarawlyChef23JC McCavitCam9400GAJ0004[Deleted User]MattPGarnLazgalejanskier2788mkcfl501BrandoncwillygoodRyno 23 votes
A WHOLE LOT MORE -- I'm just gettin' started!
22%
auskiereleeskilagdawgChuck_DickeyBoneHeadKillerjipster43greghayesmarkchilcuttWIskierTexas6travnewsskimsPatrickcrashmanaussiemcGlockcottonDALchopper 21 votes
Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan

Comments

• skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,148 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    4-5 bouys
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,905 Mega Baller
    +1.5 to +2
    The truth is, I may never run -38 in a tournament again. But in the back of my mind, I think maybe I could see part of the 3 ball in a tournament someday, which would be +1.5 to +2 for me over my tournament best 1 @ -39 from John's Pond in July of last year.

So I call that a "realistic hope."
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,048 Administrator
    +2.5 to +6
    I should move my tournament PB by 3 or 4 balls someday. Then I quit or become a tricker or something

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• 6balls6balls Posts: 4,792 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    +2.5 to +6
    I still gotta run that tourney 38. Ran 5 @ 38 an hour ago coming up just short of the 6 ball. I'm improving so I believe at some point before I begin physical deterioration I can become consistent at getting thru 38 instead of 5 times/season.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    +2.5 to +6
    @6balls we are in the exact same boat.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

MickeyThompson
  • gjohnsongjohnson Posts: 287 Baller
    +2.5 to +6
    @6balls @Horton is there room for one more in that boat?
    Greg Johnson ~ Team Beer
    +2.5 to +6
    us three should start a thread. Why is 35 so easy and 38 such a mental monster?

dave2ball
    edited June 2012
    +1.5 to +2
    Answer: It ain't mental. It's that much harder.

About quiting and becoming a tricker: I definitely had a strange feeling when I finally banged out that -38 on the crazy-easy water at John's Pond. I did have a little sense of being "done." But it wasn't long before I realized that I really want to have that feeling again -- and that I want to try to eek out another buoy at -39!

I thought I'd be really unmotivated this year, and it probably will be true that I'll do slightly fewer tournaments. But I'm actually really motivated and I want to get fundamentally better so that maybe, just maybe, someday that "neutral" line won't laugh in my general direction...
    MickeyThompson
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    I'm just getting started- I have no idea what my potential is and I wish I would have started skiing the course a long time ago, but I'm 35 so hopefully I have some good years ahead of me.
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
    +2.5 to +6
    I have chipped away a 1/2 ball last year. If that happens again this year and I score 5 1/2 this year... BallOfSpray will become a drinking site with bikini girls.

edited June 2012
    +1.5 to +2
    @crashman NO DOUBT! While I skied pretty much my entire life, my lifetime best (so far!) came at 40. My regular ski partner's best was at 43. And since you might not be on a plateau at that point, it's not insane to think you lifetime best could be in your 50s!

Much to look forward to.

Someday I hope to be one of those guys that is so old he can barely remember his name, but still running some buoys at however slow the boat can pull me!!
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,350 Mega Baller
    1 to 2 passes
    I think I can get to at least mid 38. I am working on 35 right now but I am in better shape this year than ever before and think with another winter of training I can get there. I would love to see a piece of 39 someday but right now I would settle for a piece of 38.

My tournament PB is [email protected] but I have been running 32 more this year than ever before.
    Mark Shaffer
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 419 Baller
    +2.5 to +6
    Horton you said it all. 38 is a mental ................mess. ya that's it
  • GarnGarn Posts: 409 Solid Baller
    1 to 2 passes
    If I could run 32 then I'd be satisfied.
    edited June 2012
    +2.5 to +6
    I think it important to say.... I say a lot to skiers I ski with....

We are all struggleing for more balls . 32 mph - 32 off - 41 off - it is all the same struggle

galejancrashmandanbirchThan_Bogan
  • tsixamtsixam Posts: 373 Baller
    Pb [email protected] on the old Sixam. Bought an Elite, gone downhill since then. Got a Razor a month ago and I think the feeling is coming back. I will gain at least 2 balls this summer.
  • KlundellKlundell Posts: 432 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    +2.5 to +6
    My tournament PB is [email protected] right now I'm 29 years old and would love to get a peek at 41 before I turn 35 and my speed drops. No reason to have goals if there not lofty right! So I guess this puts me in the 2.5 to 6 Category.
    TRST
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,350 Mega Baller
    1 to 2 passes
    @Garn once you run 32 you will be looking for more.
    Mark Shaffer
  • bogboybogboy Posts: 691 Baller
    I feel like a young 55. I just did a pb at bow lake last Monday. 6 full passes at 15 off, 26mph. Up from 25mph before. I need to be realistic in my goals, but I would like to do consistent passes of 30 or 32 mph at 15 off. I just don't know if I am setting my goals too low, or not. Hard work, time, fun, and who knows.
    crashman
  • skier2788skier2788 Posts: 666 Crazy Baller
    1 to 2 passes
    I would like to up my tournamrnt pb by 10 and earn an open rating. Get beat bad by the real pros but it would be awesome to be on the dock with them once.
    Travis Torley
  • raynrayn Posts: 358 Baller
    +2.5 to +6
    Right now I would settle for attaining my practice pb [email protected] anywhere, but I still think I can clear that pass someday, and hopefully before I am 50, so that gives me 1 year.
    Ray Newmark -
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,904 Mega Baller
    0. I'm just hoping to get back to my peak.
    I would like to get back to where I was before I got pregnant.
    That would ofcourse assume I deliver a healthy 50 lb baby.
  • BRYBRY Posts: 568 Crazy Baller
    1 to 2 passes
    No matter where we go down, its always one more buoy. 32MPH or -32 or -43. Seems everytime a skier come out of the water it's "If only I had done __________ then I would have got _______(always 1 more buoy)"
    I don't believe any Baller who says they would be happy with X. As soon as we get X, we want X+1.
    I get inspired by the old guys (at M4 THAT is relative) who are way down from what they did when they were younger yet still fighting with everything they have for 1 more buoy today. And loving every minute of it.
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,394 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2012
    +1.5 to +2
    Running a 38 is on my bucket list, but after the past 2 surgery shortened seasons, it might not be attainable. 4 ball is as far as I've seen (in practice) two years ago, but now I'm struggling with my 35's. If I can run 38 just once, I think I would be content. At my age (mens 5 next year), 39 is not even on my radar screen.
  • MurrskiMurrski Posts: 174 Baller
    1 to 2 passes
    I didn't ski any tournaments last year and the year before my best was 5 @ 28' off. I jumped from the 2005 X5 to the Fusion this year... got in better shape and started getting into 35' off. I'm running 28' 100%, 32' 90% and got around 4 at 35'. It's a big leap from a couple years ago. I attribute that to technology and time on the water. I'm hoping to run 38' sometime in my lifetime! No matter what... I'm just having a blast and hope to stay healthy!
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 400 Crazy Baller
    +2.5 to +6
    if your average is [email protected], seems likely to pick up 4 buoys..for example my average is 4.33 at 38...close out 38, and anyone can get to 2 at the next pass... good times
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,429 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    I lied in my vote. I'm way past my peak. But the dream is still there. If I just build the right ski...

Bouy counts (or trick points) are a long ways from my goals. I enjoy the sport for what I can do and the immediate challenges I face. I get great pleasure from the ski R&D. I get great pleasure from the skiers I help develop (nothing was better than getting beaten straight up in Open by Kirk at Regionals last year!). I enjoy the people who ski at my lakes. I enjoy the people in the waterskiing world. Who needs more buoys? But I'm still chasing them as hard as I can (maybe too hard for my body). I was within 1/2 buoy of my tournament PB last year despite struggling a bit. So who knows?...

Eric
    +1.5 to +2
    @bigtex2011 actually I've run -38 a grand total of 4 times, but never seen the 2 ball at -39, including in practice. I feel this year I have a chance, though.
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 444 Solid Baller
    1 to 2 passes
    Getting into 38 off has always been a fantasy of mine that I knew would never come true.I was stuck at -28 for about 10 years.At 49 I am skiing better than ever ([email protected]) and hopefully this summer I will get into that magical pass of 38 off. Thanks to the stuff I read on this sight!
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,847
    I plan on 12+ more buoys. I'm coming for Skidawg.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

MattP