Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regina sets new WR

bhsbhs Posts: 254 Baller
edited June 2012 in Mostly Slalom
Just got a text she ran [email protected]!

Comments

• eyepeelereyepeeler Posts: 153 Baller
    I watched her stroke 39 with a 12 mph tail at the Atlanta ProAm. I remember thinking to myself that with good conditions, she will get three at 41.
    Matt Dillon
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,967 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Great skiing! Does anyone know what Nano she is on? Regular/mid? twist/non-twist?
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
  • Nick SullivanNick Sullivan Posts: 676 Baller
    That is awesome! I sure enjoyed watching her ski last week on the video from OBs tournament.
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,172
    What tourney was this weekend? It's a shame we didn't get a webcast of that. Somehow I bet Dave Goode will release one for us by mid week at the very latest:)
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,973 Mega Baller
  • ntxntx Posts: 823 Crazy Baller
    @texas6 Really!!!! webcast?? It was a backyard record in Canton, Mississippi.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,296 Administrator
    I got a text that said 2 1/4. Not sure. Still great. She is freak'n amazing.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

USAWS site also says 2 1/4. I expect a press release from Goode soon.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,053 Baller
    Regina rocks!! Nuff said..
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 665 Crazy Baller
    Just talked to Lonnie and she got 2 1/4 yesterday and a full 3 today.
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    edited June 2012
    Holy Crap! But is anyone really surprised?

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,015 Mega Baller
    I believe the technical term is:

DAMN GIRL!

Wow, that is amazing. Congratulations Regina! (whether they get approved as records or not -- still flat out amazing skiing)
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • MSMS Posts: 4,830 Mega Baller
    @scotchipman see the post on Mid Mid. I know nothing.
    Shut up and ski
  • cottoncotton Posts: 18
    ntx, what is a "backyard record?"
    edited June 2012
    @NTX, I am not familiar with a "backyard record?" I asked which tourney this record was in only because I thought world records needed to be in tourneys and not in backyards. Not surprised she broke another record either way, she is the real deal. I think the men's go's down this year as well
  • cottoncotton Posts: 18
    Glad to know I'm not the only one not familiar with what exactly a "backyard record" is. I'm really looking forward to @ntx explaining this for us.

@Texas6, here's the link from the www.usawaterski.org site
    ( http://www.usawaterski.org/default.asp?Display=1437 ) with the following news:

Jaquess Sets Pending World Records

Posted by: usawsOn: 06/17/2012 17:21:56In: Water Skiing
    U.S. water ski athlete Regina Jaquess (Santa Rosa Beach, Fla.) set pending women's world slalom records of 2-1/4 buoys at 41 feet off and 3 buoys at 41 feet off at the Cedar Ridge Early Record, June 16-17, in Canton, Miss.

Jaquess scored 2-1/4 buoys at 41 feet off on Saturday in the first round and 3 buoys at 41 feet off on Sunday in the second round. If either one of the records is approved by the International Waterski & Wakeboard Federation's Technical Committee, the score will surpass the current world record of 2 buoys at 41 feet off co-held by Jaquess and Canada's Whitney McClintock.
    Thx @Cotton, much appreciated on the details!
  • jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,379 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @ntx - I can only assume by your reference to "backyard records" that somehow they lack credibility. I hold ELR records at my site which coincidentally, is in my backyard. We've had two National records and numerous Regional records set in these events. I would challenge anyone to find evidence of impropriety regarding any aspect of my events. The integrity of the drivers/judges and the amount of technology employed justifies any result. Many of those same individuals were at the Canton, MS. event this past weekend. I have no doubt the same standards were applied.
    Joe Darwin
    @cotton & Texas6
    Sorry if I thru out a term you are not familiar with. A backyard record, is a tournament set up to do what it did. Break a world or national record. It is at a private site (backyard) that has a history of producing good scores. Usually two sanctions, of two rounds, each over two days. Class R. Cedar Ridge has a history of producing slalom PB's. I have not seen the scores, but my guess is that some big scores were produced by some very good skiers that went with the hopes of breaking a record or setting a PB. There is nothing wrong with this and is by the rules. My comment to texas6 was that this was not a high profile cash prize pro event with a sponsor like Masters or Moomba or Malibu Open. It was a record tournament set up with perfect conditions with the goal of setting a record. This is how most records are set now. Not in high pressure name event but in "backyard record tournaments" Not a event that would lend itself to a webcast. I bet that with the exception of skiers and skiers families, there was not a single spectator there to watch the event.
    jdarwin. No Joe, I was not, and am not challenging the credibility of the event or the results. I was simply saying that they are events set up to do that. Provide the best skiers with the best conditions with the best chance to set a record. Nothing wrong with it at all. Most of us that have been at this a long time, know where to go to get the best results. Some sites ski better than others. Again, nothing wrong with it. I guess I used a term that was not very common. Sorry. No harm intended.

On a side note, sorry to hear Joe that you are not holding your summer and fall tournaments. I understand the amount of work that goes into a event and sometimes ask myself why we continue to endure the MANY hours of prep work to host events.
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 868 Crazy Baller
    Sic skiing Regina!!!!!!!!!!
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,015 Mega Baller
    @ntx Thanks for the clarification, although I think I guessed correctly at your meaning initially.

I do, however, disagree with one point: I think a LOT of people would love to watch what could be called a "staged record attempt." People love stunts. I remember watching a whole program on Tony Hawk trying to complete a 900 in practice!

Competition is great, too, but I think there is a large, and maybe slightly different, audience for a situation in which a world record is reasonably probable.

I know I would have tuned in!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 682 Crazy Baller
    Record-capability events are not "set up" to produce world records. 99.99% of people who ski in these are there to qualify for nationals, regionals, get their rankings, or other reasons. The important distinction is that R tournaments ARE set up to make sure that any records set there do get recognized as official world records (or state, national, etc. for that matter), through tougher tolerances, more judges, better performance documentation (such as boat path video).
    I can say skiing at Cottonwood is cheating.... That is to say the water is very nice.

• MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,738 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Just as an FYI, Cedar Ridge is not your typical man made site. It is a dammed up valley (small) and is fairly open to the wind. The water is deep in the course compared to Joes. It feels slower than Cottonwood, but obviously skis well. Funny how sites that feel very different can each great.

15 or so years ago they held records that were jam packed with 3 event skiers. I remember being #62 on the slalom list one time. Lots of good trick and jump scores with the Bennett's crew coming up as well as Cory and some of the Destin group. Great site and and great group of people up there. Glad they got a record on their lake.
    Cracks me up that there are so many big scores there. I swear the little home owners lake to the east skis better than the tournament lake.

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,540 Mega Baller
    The big tournaments aren't always at sites that have the best conditions which makes running a record there unrealistic. Plus the number of times on the water in a head to head event would seem to put the skiers not in the best position to perform at their peak.
    Mark Shaffer
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 665 Crazy Baller
    Cedar Ridge Rocks!! Sorry MS.
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    QuickSet is better!

• RogerRoger Posts: 1,483 Crazy Baller
    My friend Becky Lathrope was up there to drive and judge. She was on the end course monitor for Regina's runs (Chad was driving). She said the boat path looked very good and expects the pending record to pass without issue. Congrats to Regina!
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge