Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some days ya just don't have it

Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,043 Mega Baller
edited June 2012 in Technique & Theory
Thought I'd publish this as perhaps a help to some newer course skiers. I think sometimes people get insanely frustrated when they appear to have taken a big step back.

But some days, ya just don't have it.

This morning I thought I'd be a bit off because I had some very aggressive (and painful!) massage therapy done around my shoulder, psoases, and other places. I was pretty sore and weak, so decided I'd stay away from -38. No need to worry about THAT! I struggled like heck with my opening pass (-28), and then worked my ass off to squeek through a few -32s. -35 was a joke; shouldn't have even tried it.

Two days earlier, I was going deep -38 and had my first "oh man I shouldda run that" of the season.

And I'll be right back there soon, because I know that today doesn't mean anything unless I let it.

Some days, ya just don't have it. :)
Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
ToddLTexas6

Comments

• ToddLToddL Posts: 2,723 Mega Baller
    True.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,644 Mega Baller
    That is why I didn't ski this morning. I skied 4 days in a row plus a couple of hard workouts. I am taking a couple of days off before getting back after it next week.
    Mark Shaffer
  • MarkTimmMarkTimm Posts: 87 Baller
    I have had two days so far this season that I could barely run a pass. Each of these were preceded by a brutal crossfit workout the day before. Both times I didn't think it would effect my skiing, couldn't have been more wrong.
    Mark Timm
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,172
    Yep. I had this day precisely last week. Worked out and ski'd several days in a row. Took a second set on my fourth day of skiing in a row because my set earlier in the day was terrible. I fell three times on my opener. Back to the boat and took a few days off
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • raynrayn Posts: 364 Baller
    edited June 2012
    Same thing happened to me on my birthday, first set of the morning was crap, and on top of that Chef ran his practice PB. I did ski later that night and redeemed myself with a good set. So you can also within a day go from crap to good, or good to crap. You just have to take this sport day to day.
    Ray Newmark -
  • TaperflexTaperflex Posts: 45 Baller
    My favorite saying is " sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you".
  • SMSM Posts: 527 Crazy Baller
    I had one of those days today, yesterday skied great, couldn't run anything today but It was still an awesome day, that's what I love about this sport.
    Time spent on the water is time well spent.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,977 Mega Baller
    that's the beauty of a 3 event tourney, sometimes your slalom rides goes wrong, but you can redeem yourself on the ramp, or on your trick ski, or vice versa
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,177 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    You are preaching to the choir
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • cwillygoodcwillygood Posts: 195 Baller
    this happens to much, the other day ran 32 off for the 2nd time even at 36 and yesterday couldnt get down 28 off for the life of me
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,228 Mega Baller
    So true ... but any time on the water is never time wasted.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • slalom frogslalom frog Posts: 103 Baller
    And I thought I was the only one that had this problem..........Nice to have some company in this department!